Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Hello!

Posted by on May. 6, 2014 at 8:33 AM
  • 8 Replies

Since I will be lurking in here and reading as many posts as I can, I figured I should introduce myself :)

So...Hello!

My family and I recently relocated due to my husband's job and unfortunately we are not very happy with public school...

We are going back and forth between trying the private school out or having me homeschool.

DH is kind of skeptical about homeschooling and I want to completely research how homeschooling is done so that I can approach him with a detailed plan of what homeschooling would consist of. I also want to research all I can so I will be able to make an informed decision on whether or not I would be fully capable of teaching them effectively.

I have two children (6), one child takes a bit longer to understand new concepts than the other, so I really want to make sure I have what it takes to help her...

So if there are any books on homeschooling you can recommend, or advice, information, or insight you can give me on what it takes to homeschool it is greatly appreciated :)

Thanks!

by on May. 6, 2014 at 8:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2014 at 9:37 AM
1 mom liked this
Google homeschooling and the name of your town/county/big city nearby and find some support groups or co-ops. Many offer new homeschooler meetings or classes. Clear your schedule (and hubs if possible) and arrange to attend the meeting.

Many groups are happy to have you join them for a class or two to help you decide. You will get info on resources specific to your area which can help you decide too.

For example, if hubs has misgivings on ability to play sports, participate in class parties and field trips, have resources for academics or other extra curric opportunties; this will equip you to learn about some in your area.

Curric just takes research by asking others, learning online, seeing it at sales and from others.

A couple I like are....

Rod & staff english and spelling (mennonite schools publish this)

Math u see

Apologia science

Notgrass social studies (mostly middle school and up)

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2014 at 9:39 AM
1 mom liked this
Oh.. there is a site called homeschoolreviews (.com I think)

You can search and get reviews for various curric. You can even search by subject which helps if you are very new and don't know the names of the curric.

BellaRose17
by Member on May. 6, 2014 at 9:53 AM

Thank you very much!! :)

energygirl
by Member on May. 6, 2014 at 11:41 AM
1 mom liked this

there is a book called "homeschooling a patchwork of days" (get it from library loan...it's a good book to skim but not needed to own)... has each chapter written by a different homeschool family describing a typical day... can paint a realistic picture of what it can be like (and shows how some families are more organized or more relaxed with less structure).  There is also a wonderful book called "101 top homeschool picks" by Cathy Duffy... it compared different curriculum (lists strengths and weaknesses of them without being biased).  Most set curriculums come with teacher guides that take the guess work out of planning, and ensure that you don't forget any of the important stuff. I would recommend getting on some homeschool curriculum catalog mailing lists (keep in mind they are all trying to sell you something.... but you can see what all is out there then to help make your choice).  Rainbowresearch's website sells some good discounted stuff as well. If there is a homeschool co-op near you (facebook might lead you to your local one) you can connect with them to possibly look at some other folk's books etc. to help you decide, and they might be able to share some info as well.  What state are you in? Find your state's homeschool page so you can know the laws etc. where you are.  Most curriculum can be bought on amazon or ebay as well (to save some cash).  I know not all homeschoolers are looking for Christian curriculum or input.. but if you are.. the book "Educating The Whole Hearted Child" by Clay and Sally Clarkson (I have the older version, cheap on amazon) it's probably the most useful and encouraging book I own about homeschooling... but it would not be useful for a family that wasn't looking for a Christian perspective on it :)

BellaRose17
by Member on May. 6, 2014 at 7:16 PM

thank youThank you so much for this information!!

Quoting energygirl:

there is a book called "homeschooling a patchwork of days" (get it from library loan...it's a good book to skim but not needed to own)... has each chapter written by a different homeschool family describing a typical day... can paint a realistic picture of what it can be like (and shows how some families are more organized or more relaxed with less structure).  There is also a wonderful book called "101 top homeschool picks" by Cathy Duffy... it compared different curriculum (lists strengths and weaknesses of them without being biased).  Most set curriculums come with teacher guides that take the guess work out of planning, and ensure that you don't forget any of the important stuff. I would recommend getting on some homeschool curriculum catalog mailing lists (keep in mind they are all trying to sell you something.... but you can see what all is out there then to help make your choice).  Rainbowresearch's website sells some good discounted stuff as well. If there is a homeschool co-op near you (facebook might lead you to your local one) you can connect with them to possibly look at some other folk's books etc. to help you decide, and they might be able to share some info as well.  What state are you in? Find your state's homeschool page so you can know the laws etc. where you are.  Most curriculum can be bought on amazon or ebay as well (to save some cash).  I know not all homeschoolers are looking for Christian curriculum or input.. but if you are.. the book "Educating The Whole Hearted Child" by Clay and Sally Clarkson (I have the older version, cheap on amazon) it's probably the most useful and encouraging book I own about homeschooling... but it would not be useful for a family that wasn't looking for a Christian perspective on it :)

mem82
by Platinum Member on May. 6, 2014 at 7:52 PM
1 mom liked this

Welcome!

romacox
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2014 at 7:29 PM
1 mom liked this

Men usually respond to the logical approach.  Here is a free article with documented links you can share with him.

Why Home School

Here is another free article that will give you some good insight.  Whole Brain Teaching

TidewaterClan
by on May. 8, 2014 at 8:54 AM
1 mom liked this

My husband was worried too, but he loves hs now.  I purchased the teacher's books; they have everything you need to know and include schedules so you don't overdue things in one day.

Yahoo Groups and Facebook are also great resources for groups in your area.  I'm not a huge Facebook fan, but it's been extremely handy for field trips and new friends since we started homeschooling.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)