Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

setting up a school space.

Posted by   + Show Post

I jumped into homeschooling mid way this year and now I need to set up my official school space. I have a 5yo with autism, he will be doing 1st grade, my 4yo will be doing kindergarten and I have a 1yo. Any suggestions and or pictures for a school space would be great, Thank you.

by on May. 6, 2014 at 10:59 AM
Replies (11-17):
bcogoli
by Member on May. 7, 2014 at 6:51 PM

I am getting lots of great ides, thank you!!!

AmyMamie
by Member on May. 8, 2014 at 1:19 AM
1 mom liked this

I

I absolutely love having a dedicated space for school.  It keeps everything in the same room and in its place, and lets the rest of our house stay clean.  Our two boys happily share a bedroom, so we turned the other small bedroom into our schoolroom.  I found a dry erase board/cork board combo and hung it on the wall.  It makes a great Morning Board and a place to display our art work.  I used the boys train table as our work table - just covered it with a tablecloth.  I LOVE the fabric bins that I can buy cheaply at ShopKo here in our little town.  They hold a lot and come in lots of colors.  We also have 2 computers set up so each boy can work on his own unit. And I found a 10-bin cart so we can use the workbox system (you can Google it if you're interested.)  We truly enjoy schooling in our little schoolroom. :)

Mommy2Phenley
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2014 at 4:20 PM

This is our kindergarten space. Or half of it anyway. We have a 5x5 expedit on the other side of the room that holds a lot of our stuff.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on May. 9, 2014 at 1:01 PM
We.are.just getting settled in our new house and I am working on the school room. My youngest is 5th grade so we dont have ABCs or numbers, we are beyond weather calendars, etc. However, I want to get.some color and fun added.

I will post pics of our room in the old house in a little bit when we settle down to school work :)
redhead-bedhead
by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2014 at 2:20 PM

Yes! A quality pencil sharpener is a must. It is so often over looked.

Quoting KrissyKC: Other things that we use a lot... Quality pencil sharpener Library Book box area (social studies and science topics as well as their free read picks) A turn in bin for grading An accordian fold keeper for their portfolio samples My own hand made excell spreadsheet helping me to log their daily hours as missouri requires. I have all kids on the same spreadsheet so I only write it once and check it off for the others we have combined work. It also records their running hours for the year at the bottom for each kid. This way, I have only one page per day and I'm more of a notebook girl than a jump on the computer type person.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on May. 9, 2014 at 6:45 PM

We have only been in the house a little over a week soI am still settling in and organizing.  This is teh east wall with a slider that looks out onto the patio. in the left corner you can barely see a tv. There will be a karate kick-bag that can be rolled into the center of the room and sparring gear where the 4 drawer rack is now. To the right is the kitchen an my oldest DS's room.

The next pic is the south wall. Each of the insets will showcase one kid and the last one is for DH and I. Kind of brag walls. below them is the keyboard and art and craft supplies and some boxes waiting for a couple more book shelves.  I eventually want to put in cabinets across the length of it. in the cornerr on the west facing wall are reference books and science kits.

The rest of the west wall has a window seat with the kid's individual crates. All of their current materials are in them.To the right is my desk with the shared desktop and the shelves of school/office supplies.

Finally, the north wall, with DD working. There is a large window on either side of the fireplace and I need to make coverings for them still. Our flag is on the mantle along with a pic DS painted for me and the TV  for educational shows. Again, the corner to the right will hold workout/PE gear.

Jinx - Homeschooling, Scouting & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Life Scout Ian 1/982nd Class Sean 9/00, Junior GS Heidi 4/03. Wife to Joe & Alpha to German Shepherd Spazz.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on May. 9, 2014 at 6:54 PM

I still have maps and white boards and other items to put up to add color to the room.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)