Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

setting up a school space.

Posted by on May. 6, 2014 at 10:59 AM
  • 17 Replies

I jumped into homeschooling mid way this year and now I need to set up my official school space. I have a 5yo with autism, he will be doing 1st grade, my 4yo will be doing kindergarten and I have a 1yo. Any suggestions and or pictures for a school space would be great, Thank you.

by on May. 6, 2014 at 10:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2014 at 11:11 AM
While you do not have to have one, it can help with organization.

We have a calendar, a flag, a couple of children's tables and chairs and a few bookshelves. I have letter and number posters and map posters on my walls to make it fun.
coala
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2014 at 11:42 AM

We don't have an "official" space.  We use our living room with a 4 ft folding table for each child.  We have however grown so much in our book department that we are now using a full size bookshelf and a smaller one....both beginning to overflow again.  We are constantly moving stuff around so that we can stay organized.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2014 at 1:08 PM
We use those cheap pantries at walmart in multiple finishes to match our furniture because we school in the living room and dining room. I have a small space behind my sectional that has room for them and one small desk. We use the desk to separate some one having a hard time focusing, taking a test, or who wants their own quiet space.

They have doors and can be easily attached to a stud With an "l" bracket if you worry toddler can pull it on themselves. Also, they are cheap, so a little banging up won't make you worry.
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2014 at 1:20 PM
Other things that we use a lot...

Quality pencil sharpener

Library Book box area (social studies and science topics as well as their free read picks)

A turn in bin for grading

An accordian fold keeper for their portfolio samples

My own hand made excell spreadsheet helping me to log their daily hours as missouri requires. I have all kids on the same spreadsheet so I only write it once and check it off for the others we have combined work. It also records their running hours for the year at the bottom for each kid. This way, I have only one page per day and I'm more of a notebook girl than a jump on the computer type person.

hwblyf
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2014 at 1:48 PM

I am all about the calendar.  Our school stuff physically spreads into more of the house than you're probably thinking right now.  Contain.  Conceal, don't feel.  Oh, no, wait, the lesson there was actually to go with the flow to realize your full potential.  :)  I'm in the process of reorganizing.  My biggest issue, is putting things away even though I'm using them.  I don't need to keep every book out.  I can put them away and get them out when I next need them.  The floor is NOT organizational space.  The dinner table is for actually eating.  The bookshelves are where books belong.

JadeTigr7
by Member on May. 7, 2014 at 2:01 PM
1 mom liked this

Our "school room" is the dining room.

all2gethernow
by Member on May. 7, 2014 at 2:09 PM
My kids are highschool aged now, but we've always had a schoolroom. Ours is boring now:/ lots of books, maps on the walls, desk, table, several computers. Our scanner and printer are there. We currently have posters up for Greek Mythology.
Important to me:
Homeschool Tracker in my computer
Daily written planner
3 hole puncher
Books, book, more books
Bookshelves-your husband will show his love by making sure you have lots:)
Google!
Lots of colored pencils, paper, crayons, scissors, notebooks
Math manipulatives
Rulers
Storage space for organizing

Our schoolroom is a converted dining room, painted a bright peach color, with a giant window overlooking our lake. There's a papasan chair for reading, lights on a dimmer for mood lighting, and lots of sunlight:)
jwhit8791
by Jessica on May. 7, 2014 at 2:21 PM

Where did you get your meshy hanger things?  LOL  Gotta love my technical terms.  :)

I also love your table.  We are needing to upgrade ours to something bigger (because we bought it when we had no kids, and now we keep having them) and yours looks so nice and big.

Quoting JadeTigr7:

mommyof3kid82
by on May. 7, 2014 at 2:28 PM

We have on bookshelf to hold the school stuff this is my first year so still learning. I don't have an extra room for a school room but will be using the kitchen table and do work outside where the kids love to be.

Mommy of 3 baby boytoddler girlteen boy

JadeTigr7
by Member on May. 7, 2014 at 2:39 PM

We got it at Walmart right after they started selling school stuff.   It's awesome! :)

Our table is old, like 40+ years or something.  We bought it from a friend (who only has two kids and didn't need a huge table) who bought it from an old neighbor she had (we're army, so lots of old neighbors) who'd had it for like 30 years or so who got it from someone else. :)

It looks just like the table my grandparents owned though, so I love it to pieces. 

Quoting jwhit8791:

Where did you get your meshy hanger things?  LOL  Gotta love my technical terms.  :)

I also love your table.  We are needing to upgrade ours to something bigger (because we bought it when we had no kids, and now we keep having them) and yours looks so nice and big.

Quoting JadeTigr7:

~Crystal~

Homeschooling Mama to James, Jade, Steven, Willow and Katara
Wifey to Michael since 3-30-05

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)