Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Trying to get work done...

Posted by on May. 7, 2014 at 9:03 AM
  • 6 Replies
Last week was school vacation around us, we didn't intend to take a week off, but because my clients were on vacation, my schedule was different. We needed a sitter 4x and I don't make the kids do schoolwork with a sitter...and to be honest, I wasn't really prepared for the week anyway. So we took a week off. Now this week we said we know we have to focus because we still want to be done in four weeks (really, I want to not have the guilt of not getting school work done...so I need them to finish what we intended to finish this year!)..but it's still been rough. Monday they went to a sitter for just a couple hours but I thought it would be longer, so they brought one assignment to do and didn't finish everything on the list. Yesterday, they worked for a bit but then we went to my dads and they stayed with him for a couple hours so they didn't finish everything. Today we are meeting my cousin at a park with her son, she needs some moral support right now and I thought it could be a good day...so they haven't done anything today yet...but we are bringing some work with us, especially since we will be out all day now..and they have work from yesterday they still didn't finish!

I'm just having a hard time having them work, I'm not following a schedule....DH started working a new shift at work, so I thought we would get more done, but since I have to drop them off with a babysitter, that's not happening. Soon, his mom will mostly be taking them and we live with her so I won't have to bring them anywhere so hopefully we will be able to accomplish something.

I'm trying not to be too hard on myself, and we can just go an extra week if we have to to finish what we planned to finish. But it's just hard to get back onto a routine, or get into a new routine!
by on May. 7, 2014 at 9:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
hwblyf
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2014 at 9:26 AM
2 moms liked this

Honestly, I think this is the reason I have to push myself so hard in the beginning of our year.  Once I hit Christmas (and this is true with scouts, with religious ed, everything), I'm done.  Regardless of how much I actually have left.  So get what you need to done in order to feel accomplished, but realize that they're always learning.  :)

mem82
by Platinum Member on May. 7, 2014 at 11:48 AM
2 moms liked this

Try to relax. Even if you took an extra week or two to finish, you're on no one's schedule. 8)

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2014 at 12:00 PM
2 moms liked this
Trim down what you want accomplished to just the basics.

If it is math, do the lesson and assign every other problem. If they do well, move on... if not then have them do the other half.

If it is social studies just read the last couple chapters and briefly talk about it. It won't hurt them to not have to do the vocab and bookwork with a chapter or two.

Same goes with science unless there is that one last project you want to end the year with.

As for english/grammar...see how much you can do orally and just do a few questions for practice.
TidewaterClan
by on May. 8, 2014 at 8:42 AM
1 mom liked this

For this last month we're catching up on the fun we missed when I was so focused on the books at the start of the year.  We're doing math, and social studies, but science is the remaining cool labs and info we haven't gotten to, and reading is Little House with a fun project book.  

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on May. 8, 2014 at 10:40 AM
I am in the same boat! We took off for Spring break when the ps kids did so they could hang with friends.

10 days later we got the keys to the new house and took off nearly 2 more weeks to pack and move. This week was.our first week back and I dont feel that much got done.

It is a little more stressful for me since we use the Charter school and I am a Type A that likes every box checked. However, I learned a long time ago to just give them the one page work sample they require and work at our own pace. I dont make them do every little thing. What they dont know..right? ;)
bcogoli
by Member on May. 8, 2014 at 10:42 AM

I am having a somewhat similar problem. I feel like once the warm weather hit we lost our momentum and now were dragging our feet and struggling to finish.

Try not to stress about it, it will all get done eventually. You have kids so nothing will ever go the way you thought it would.  "routine" is such a harsh word sometimes.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN