Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Is it hard to meet the required amount of instruction time?

Posted by on May. 7, 2014 at 10:30 AM
  • 16 Replies

According to the New York homeschool regulations, we are required to accumulate 900 hours of instruction time per school year...

I was hoping to have their school year last for 36 weeks, which would be 180 days of instruction. But, in order to meet the 900 hour requirement, we would have to be working for five hours each day...doesn't that seem like a lot of time for one on one instruction?

Is it hard for you and your family to meet the required amount of instruction time in your state?

(I hope this question makes sense lol sorry if it is a bit confusing...)

by on May. 7, 2014 at 10:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TidewaterClan
by on May. 7, 2014 at 10:35 AM
1 mom liked this

Ohio has the same rule.  180 days straight would be easier to document since we move through material faster than public school could.  I write down evening/weekend time reading, zoo/museum trips, art, etc., too.

JadeTigr7
by Member on May. 7, 2014 at 10:42 AM
1 mom liked this

All day is instruction time.  You'll have no problem meeting the required hours.

jen2150
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2014 at 10:50 AM
1 mom liked this
We don't have required hours but I know a lot of people include many other activities in those hours. Some of them are very creative. Do your kids read during their free time or build amazing contraptions you could count those activities as well. Collecting plants and creatures can count as well and also cooking. Hope this helps.
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2014 at 10:57 AM
1 mom liked this
If the kids help clean or cook it is home ec. If you spend 6 to 8 hours at the zoo it is instruction time on a field trip. Free reading can count as well.

In California it is just 180 days of instruction. But of needed I would count all of that.
Molimomma
by Member on May. 7, 2014 at 11:06 AM
1 mom liked this

Don't forget instruction time includes PE(outside time, sports, swim lessons, whatever), art, music(instrument lesson could count here piano, violin, etc), life skills or home ec which could include grocery shopping, cooking, etc. don't be afraid to think outside the basic curriculum as instructional!

hwblyf
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2014 at 11:07 AM
1 mom liked this

Free reading is important.  Call it DEAR time (drop everything and read).  Schools are big on that.  :)  Some days it's hard to get the hours, other days the hours are way more than our 4 required in CO.  I also do the responsibility thing, have them work on their rooms or other chores.  I've had kids who have spent quite a bit of their time at school with counselors learning social skills and other responsibilities that some kids seem to just have a knack for but my kids really have to work towards, so I don't feel bad about that.  Oh, and educational videos, heck yeah we count those!

BellaRose17
by Member on May. 7, 2014 at 11:16 AM
1 mom liked this

Thank you all so much!! At first I was a bit intimidated but now just thinking of the many different ways to fill up our time is getting very exciting. :)

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on May. 7, 2014 at 11:19 AM
1 mom liked this
Not a problem at all.

We include Boy scouts/Girl scouts, volunteer time, etc.

home ec - as PP mentioned chores and cooking

sports and outside pkay and trips to the park are PE.

Cooking can also be science or history - we had an "eat like a roman soldier" lunch with out Story of the World.
mem82
by Platinum Member on May. 7, 2014 at 11:44 AM
2 moms liked this

The laws always sound scary when you first hear them. 8)

Quoting BellaRose17:

Thank you all so much!! At first I was a bit intimidated but now just thinking of the many different ways to fill up our time is getting very exciting. :)

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on May. 7, 2014 at 12:33 PM
2 moms liked this

We needed 180 days OR 900 hours.  I kept track this year because I wondered about the 900 hours.  We got our 180 days and 1125 hours!  Remember to count gym classes or any sports.  Keep track of any instrument lessons, co-op hours, etc.  You can also count the time they spend playing educational games online (keep a list of the websites), the time you spend reading bedtime stories, the time you spend singing rhyming songs in the car.  There are so many ways to add up those hours!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)