Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Which do you prefer?

Posted by on May. 7, 2014 at 1:25 PM
  • 29 Replies

As I am doing my research, I thought I would get your thoughts on something.

Do you prefer to school year round taking breaks throughout the year or do you prefer to school more inline with a traditional school schedule?

by on May. 7, 2014 at 1:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
4wildbeasts
by Member on May. 7, 2014 at 1:31 PM
Year round. There is no way I want to catch them back up after a three month break. Plus we only homeschool Tuesday through Friday.
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2014 at 1:31 PM
I school year round and like it better because my kids love schedule and so it helps me.
Molimomma
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2014 at 1:43 PM

Year round but with family breaks here and there. We usually take June off because my mom comes to visit. Then we take some time in October to see my in-laws. That works really well for us right now but we may change it as he gets older.

hwblyf
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2014 at 1:43 PM

I have to agree with debra.  We started last July, so we finished at the beginning of April.  Today I reinstated a schedule.  Not really full on school, but we walked at the normal school start time, did our Bible, and then they had chores or math to do.  Nothing big, but enough to set some schedule in their day.

jwhit8791
by Jessica on May. 7, 2014 at 1:50 PM
1 mom liked this

We are doing traditional but I think that I would prefer a year round schedule.  I think that it would help me to feel a little less pressure to complete everything by XYZ......and that would be good for everyone.

JadeTigr7
by Member on May. 7, 2014 at 1:55 PM

We prefer year round.  I like the flexibilty it provides in taking off the days that my husband gets off from work.

Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2014 at 1:56 PM
Year round.
No_Difference
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2014 at 3:15 PM

We don't exactly do traditional, but we don't do year round either. We tend to start in September, but we finish Mid May usually (we finished early this year). I wouldn't mind year round BUT June-July is swim season and there is no way we could do that and school. I would go crazy. The first week of August is fair week for 4H so still lots of craziness... I need the rest of August to chill and reinvigorate myself basically... We go on lots of "field trips" but education is not on the top of my list in August lol. During the summer months though we do a 5 minute/per subject quick study. So the kids will do flash cards or math drills for 5 minutes for math, they'll go over last years spelling words and rules for 5 minutes for spelling, they'll practice handwriting/printing for 5 minutes, etc. They are required to read for a min of 1/2 hr every day though regardless if its summer or school... 

Mweddle
by Member on May. 7, 2014 at 3:36 PM

looks like we will be doing year round.  Next school "year" we plan on getting on a more strict schedule but right now, since we just transitioned from public to home we are doing things at a slower pace. (which seems to be working...so we'll see what happens)

kmath
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2014 at 5:00 PM
I would love to do year round, but it is hard to do school over the summer. We will do some review over the summer so he doesn't forget everything.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN