Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

As I am doing my research, I thought I would get your thoughts on something.

Do you prefer to school year round taking breaks throughout the year or do you prefer to school more inline with a traditional school schedule?

by on May. 7, 2014 at 1:25 PM
Replies (11-20):
kmath
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2014 at 5:00 PM
I would love to do year round, but it is hard to do school over the summer. We will do some review over the summer so he doesn't forget everything.
NYCitymomx3
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2014 at 8:19 PM

Year round works best for us.  We like taking short breaks when we want.  

mem82
by Platinum Member on May. 8, 2014 at 8:32 AM
We do a modified year round. June is the only month we go completely school free.
TidewaterClan
by on May. 8, 2014 at 8:50 AM

This was our first year, and we lined it up with ps.  We're going to start a year-round schedule in July, and I think it will be so much better for us.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on May. 8, 2014 at 9:11 AM
We do so many events and classes during the school year, we use the hot part of the summer to lay around, sip iced tea, and do some of our school work.
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on May. 8, 2014 at 9:13 AM
Also, thanksgiving to new years is so hectic, we ended up taking huge breaks then...doing light stuff, doing persormances, travelling to see family....

I was soo burned out, we only did math, clubs and classes, and reading until almost February.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on May. 8, 2014 at 10:33 AM
I would prefer year round but since my kids started in public school I can not get them out of the summer break mentality. Uggg...
bcogoli
by Member on May. 8, 2014 at 10:36 AM

We are doing our core stuff during the regular year and then reviewing what we learned and doing electives over the summer. We do not have a strict end or start date, I have a baby with health problems and my son is autistic so I like being somewhat flexible so we can take appt days off. 

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on May. 8, 2014 at 11:38 AM

We don't do either.  We started in July then took off the whole month of December to do all kinds of Christmas stuff.  Then we did January-April with no breaks at all because it was snowy and nasty and that's the best time to do school.  So we are done now.  We are taking a couple weeks totally off before we get started on some unschooling projects.

coala
by Silver Member on May. 8, 2014 at 3:50 PM

We are doing a traditional 9 month year....with breaks every 6 weeks.  So, I guess we will finish at about 10 1/2 mos.  My kiddo's start in January and finish in the fall.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN