Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Yearly Testing..............

Posted by on May. 8, 2014 at 9:54 PM
  • 9 Replies
Where we live it is required that we do yearly testing. We have to test and submit to the district by July 1st. What nationally recognized test do you prefer to use??? Any advice or tips for testing would be appreciated! Thanks in advance~ :-)
by on May. 8, 2014 at 9:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
hwblyf
by Silver Member on May. 8, 2014 at 10:01 PM

This year we did the ITBS.  He passed, so I guess it wasn't horrible for us.  :)  I did look at some of the questions and start to freak, however.  Good for me, give me an idea of the things I'm neglecting.

BellaRose17
by Member on May. 8, 2014 at 10:02 PM

I'm a newbie, myself, so here is a *bump*!

I'd love to read everyone's responses. In New York annual testing is also required...although from what I've read it is only required for grades 4 and up so it doesn't apply to my first graders yet. =)

NYCitymomx3
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2014 at 10:24 PM

Quoting BellaRose17:

I'd love to read everyone's responses. In New York annual testing is also required...although from what I've read it is only required for grades 4 and up so it doesn't apply to my first graders yet. =)

In NY, most of us do testing in 5th and 7th only, then every year in high school.  You could do 4th, 6th, & 8th if you prefer, but I'm not one for more tests.  

I give my kids the CAT-E that I get from Seton Testing.  

Angela

dd(20) Hair Stylist in Manhattan
dd(17) Dancer at the (real) Fame school
ds(13) Martial artist & experiential homeschooler

Codysmom2106
by Member on May. 8, 2014 at 10:51 PM

We are required to do yearly testing in nc. The company we Re going through use woodcock-Johnson III? This is our first year so hopefully it will work out well. 

good luck!

BellaRose17
by Member on May. 8, 2014 at 11:06 PM

I was very relieved when I read that the testing wasn't needed until the later grades! It's not so much the test itself but the whole process of finding out how to have it administered and sent out properly to the right people was a bit intimidating. I'm very grateful we can start our first year of homeschooling without the added pressure of a standardized test. :)

Quoting NYCitymomx3:

Quoting BellaRose17:

In NY, most of us do testing in 5th and 7th only, then every year in high school.  You could do 4th, 6th, & 8th if you prefer, but I'm not one for more tests.  

NYCitymomx3
by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2014 at 1:52 AM
1 mom liked this

Just real quick...  it's a piece of cake.  You buy the test online for $25, administer it yourself within 2 weeks of receiving it, send it back to the testing company in the envelope that comes with the test, you get a beautiful result sheet (and a pdf!) within about a week or 2, and then you put the composite score on the annual assessment that you mail out in June.  

On non-testing years you write a short narrative for your annual assessment (and for your 4 quarterlies).  I have samples of easy paperwork that I've been sending since 2005.  You are free to use the format and wording if you like.  Just scroll down the sidebar of my BLOG until you see Paperwork Samples.  Happy homeschooling!

Quoting BellaRose17:

I was very relieved when I read that the testing wasn't needed until the later grades! It's not so much the test itself but the whole process of finding out how to have it administered and sent out properly to the right people was a bit intimidating. I'm very grateful we can start our first year of homeschooling without the added pressure of a standardized test. :)

Quoting NYCitymomx3:

Quoting BellaRose17:

Angela

DD(20) Hair Stylist (in training) in downtown Manhattan, graduating in late summer
DD(17) Dancer at the (real) Fame school, performing arts conservatory in the fall 
DS(13) Experiential homeschooler, mixed martial artist, Confirmand

CITYSCHOOLING

BellaRose17
by Member on May. 9, 2014 at 6:20 PM

Thank you so much! That seems a lot simpler than I thought it would be! I love your blog so much! I have now bookmarked it :) Thank you again!

Quoting NYCitymomx3:

Just real quick...  it's a piece of cake.  You buy the test online for $25, administer it yourself within 2 weeks of receiving it, send it back to the testing company in the envelope that comes with the test, you get a beautiful result sheet (and a pdf!) within about a week or 2, and then you put the composite score on the annual assessment that you mail out in June.  

On non-testing years you write a short narrative for your annual assessment (and for your 4 quarterlies).  I have samples of easy paperwork that I've been sending since 2005.  You are free to use the format and wording if you like.  Just scroll down the sidebar of my BLOG until you see Paperwork Samples.  Happy homeschooling!

Quoting BellaRose17:

Quoting NYCitymomx3:

Quoting BellaRose17:

mem82
by Platinum Member on May. 10, 2014 at 10:26 AM
Here's a bump. I can't remember the test name that we've used.
melindabelcher
by Mel on May. 12, 2014 at 7:02 AM
We are planning on using the SAT one.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)