Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

United States History Curriculum?

Posted by   + Show Post

In New York, 1st graders are required to be taught not just history but specifically United States history.

I don't have a problem with this, obviously. It's wonderful to learn about our country. The problem I am having is that I can't seem to find any curriculum that fits their learning level.

I could always just put a lesson plan together from scratch, using different historical story books and things like that, but I would prefer to have a solid reference as a starting point. (Since I'm a homeschool novice and all)

The only thing that I have found is from A Beka Book: My America and My World.

Does anyone have any experience with that book? I was excited about it until I came across a review that mentioned something about the A Beka history books presenting the Bible as fact and I was hoping for something secular. (To be clear I'm not anti-Bible or anything, I'm actually Catholic lol)

Any recommendations on places to look for some sort of US history textbook to use as a starting point?

Thanks! :)

by on May. 8, 2014 at 10:20 PM
Replies (11-20):
BellaRose17
by Member on May. 9, 2014 at 4:11 PM

Quoting KrissyKC: First grade american history? That is an early requirement. Um...log onto a site like homeschoolreviews.com and search reviews there according to subject.

That's exactly what I thought! They don't even have US specific history at the public school until the later grades. But, I've heard New York isn't very homeschool friendly so maybe this is their way of making things more difficult Lol.

BellaRose17
by Member on May. 9, 2014 at 4:15 PM

That's a good idea! All I really would like the textbook for is to use it as a guide to structure their lessons, so an older child's textbook could easily serve that purpose. Thank you :) 

Quoting Bluerose1482:

I would buy an american history book for an older child and then use it as a guide.  

BellaRose17
by Member on May. 9, 2014 at 4:21 PM

Thank you so much! I haven't looked at lessonpathways yet, I'll have to do that right now!

Quoting No_Difference:

You  can also look at LessonPathways.com - its free. The 1st grade history "pathway" doeesn't cover just US history, but some, and might provide some good resources

BellaRose17
by Member on May. 9, 2014 at 4:23 PM

I completely forgot about that show! That would be a wonderful way to keep things interesting :) Thank you!

Quoting hwblyf:

There are all kinds of awesome picture books and videos, too.  We watched Liberty's Kids last year, and probably will again this year.  Next year my kids will 6th, 5th, 3rd, 2nd, and K.

BellaRose17
by Member on May. 9, 2014 at 4:42 PM

That's a great idea! Thank you :)

Quoting elizabooks: What about our embassy? The web site (search forkids on the site search) has videos, pdfs, games and interesting facts abiut our leaders and links to the kis sections of the state government web sites.

BellaRose17
by Member on May. 9, 2014 at 4:51 PM

It isn't very specific on anything about the subject other than "United States History" so I'm sure I could pick one piece of it to focus on! I didn't even think of that :) Thanks!!

Quoting hipmomto3:

Are they specific as to which part of American history you must teach, or is it just any?

If it's any, I would suggest beginning with Native  Americans. I think that is far more interesting to a young child than, say, World War II or even the Civil War. I was going to suggest Sonlight Core D but that is for an older child - but you might look at their website and see which books they use. The Landmark History of the American People is a good resource - way too dry and dull for a 1st grader, but a good resource for YOU, to teach from, get ideas, etc.

LostTheSlipper
by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2014 at 5:49 PM

If you want secular, you might try Amazon or Scholastic (shop.scholastic.com) for US history books/workbooks for that age/grade level.

You could also see what currclick.com has. Might find something you can use.

Also consider:

Liberty's Kids DVD (7.99 on Amazon)

Bluerose1482
by Member on May. 9, 2014 at 8:39 PM

Yes, but if I were you, I wouldn't get very caught up in trying to tell the whole story.  I'd cover the discovering of america.  The lost colony at roanoke.  Jamestown. George Washington.  I'd do a unit on the flag, including learning the pledge and listening to the national anthem.   Then, Ben Franklin and poor richard's almanac.   Lewis and Clark.  Johnny Appleseed.  The transcontinetial railroad.

I'd just fill the year that way, by covering the interesting people and things that happened without putting much focus on telling the entire story, which I believe would overwhelm a 1st grader.    

Good luck.

Quoting BellaRose17:

That's a good idea! All I really would like the textbook for is to use it as a guide to structure their lessons, so an older child's textbook could easily serve that purpose. Thank you :) 

Quoting Bluerose1482:

I would buy an american history book for an older child and then use it as a guide.  

LostTheSlipper
by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2014 at 11:09 PM

Quoting Bluerose1482:

Yes, but if I were you, I wouldn't get very caught up in trying to tell the whole story.  I'd cover the discovering of america.  The lost colony at roanoke.  Jamestown. George Washington.  I'd do a unit on the flag, including learning the pledge and listening to the national anthem.   Then, Ben Franklin and poor richard's almanac.   Lewis and Clark.  Johnny Appleseed.  The transcontinetial railroad.

I'd just fill the year that way, by covering the interesting people and things that happened without putting much focus on telling the entire story, which I believe would overwhelm a 1st grader.    

Good luck.

Quoting BellaRose17:

Quoting Bluerose1482:

Well if that's the case:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3rHY0l5s60

http://youtu.be/484AJlOnOnc

OP...I grew up in NY and do remember in first grade we learned about the first Thanksgiving. We got together with the class across the hall. One class had to dress up like Indians (I think that was us, headdresses, paper bag vests and stuff) and the other had to dress up like Pilgrims. We had brought in snacks I think and had a little first Thanksgiving right there in the classroom. LOL

Bluerose1482
by Member on May. 10, 2014 at 10:11 AM

I still have the 'vest' made from a pillow case from when my son was in kindergarten.

Quoting LostTheSlipper:

Quoting Bluerose1482:

Good luck.

Quoting BellaRose17:

Quoting Bluerose1482:

Well if that's the case:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3rHY0l5s60

http://youtu.be/484AJlOnOnc

OP...I grew up in NY and do remember in first grade we learned about the first Thanksgiving. We got together with the class across the hall. One class had to dress up like Indians (I think that was us, headdresses, paper bag vests and stuff) and the other had to dress up like Pilgrims. We had brought in snacks I think and had a little first Thanksgiving right there in the classroom. LOL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)