Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Homeschooling in MA

Posted by on May. 10, 2014 at 10:14 PM
  • 8 Replies

It's a huge long shot but my dh and I are considering moving to the cape where my family is to be closer to them from nc.  I was wondering if anyone is currently homeschooling in MA. If you are or have could you provide me any insight? I've looked up the requirements and laws already and will read them more in depth the closer we get to making our final decision. Any input would be hugely helpful.

Thanks in advance

by on May. 10, 2014 at 10:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
RADmomma
by Member on May. 10, 2014 at 11:25 PM
I don't have any advice because we're new this year too but I'm also in ma. Right off cape!!

How old is you lo?
Codysmom2106
by Member on May. 10, 2014 at 11:27 PM

We aren't back in ma yet. But are talking about moving back. I just wanted to see how am compared to nc. I have 2 lo's ds is 8 and dd is 2.

Quoting RADmomma: I don't have any advice because we're new this year too but I'm also in ma. Right off cape!! How old is you lo?

Chasing3
by Bronze Member on May. 11, 2014 at 7:05 AM

I do and don't find the laws particularly difficult. Althought I have heard some towns and cities' school administations and school committees seem to want to make it difficult for people and like to hassle them on their home ed plans and try to deny their right to HS. So, you may want to see if you can find out what the district is like you are moving to. I'd start with looking on the school website for their policy manual and see what they say about HSing,

My district's policy is straightforward and they are aware of the law and dont' seem to care much about HSers. I do use the district forms as a courtesy. They are very simple and not askign for anything above and beyond the laaw. Althought I"ve met other people who say not to use them and write your own letter since legally you don't have to use their forms. I figure, whatever, it's two pages, one is just a list of materials you will use as curricula and the other is like your name, address, childrens ages, and checking a box off on if you will submit work samples or test scores (you aren't elidgibile to take the state tests, which I think is a huge positive sine you then don't have to teach-to-test  - hopefully that does not change under CCSS. I guess if you want to submit test scores, you do the ones you can administer yourself and submit the scores).

I"m up near the NH boarder. To be honest, I think MA is HS friendly, as the museums and zoos and state parks and the YMCAs and the tourist/cultural attractions offer workshops and classes for homeschool kids. I do not take part in any public school services for my homeschool child and personally wouldnot attempt to ask to do so - like request sped services or sports or whatever.

Good luck!! 

Codysmom2106
by Member on May. 11, 2014 at 5:45 PM
Thank you so much for the response! I really appreciate it. I will definitely look into the specific district as things get closer. I'm glad you haven't been given a rough time.

Quoting Chasing3:

I do and don't find the laws particularly difficult. Althought I have heard some towns and cities' school administations and school committees seem to want to make it difficult for people and like to hassle them on their home ed plans and try to deny their right to HS. So, you may want to see if you can find out what the district is like you are moving to. I'd start with looking on the school website for their policy manual and see what they say about HSing,My district's policy is straightforward and they are aware of the law and dont' seem to care much about HSers. I do use the district forms as a courtesy. They are very simple and not askign for anything above and beyond the laaw. Althought I"ve met other people who say not to use them and write your own letter since legally you don't have to use their forms. I figure, whatever, it's two pages, one is just a list of materials you will use as curricula and the other is like your name, address, childrens ages, and checking a box off on if you will submit work samples or test scores (you aren't elidgibile to take the state tests, which I think is a huge positive sine you then don't have to teach-to-test  - hopefully that does not change under CCSS. I guess if you want to submit test scores, you do the ones you can administer yourself and submit the scores).

I"m up near the NH boarder. To be honest, I think MA is HS friendly, as the museums and zoos and state parks and the YMCAs and the tourist/cultural attractions offer workshops and classes for homeschool kids. I do not take part in any public school services for my homeschool child and personally wouldnot attempt to ask to do so - like request sped services or sports or whatever.Good luck!! 

Chasing3
by Bronze Member on May. 11, 2014 at 6:16 PM

i found a group for you, you could request to join and get advice:

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/CapeCodHomeschoolers/info  

I'm in a yahoo group for north of boston and they are pretty active with organinzing events and sharing ideas and resources.

Codysmom2106
by Member on May. 11, 2014 at 10:20 PM

Awesome!! Thank you so much! I really appreciate that.

Quoting Chasing3:

i found a group for you, you could request to join and get advice:https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/CapeCodHomeschoolers/info  

I'm in a yahoo group for north of boston and they are pretty active with organinzing events and sharing ideas and resources.

bcogoli
by Member on May. 12, 2014 at 6:50 AM

I am in MA and this is my first year homeschooling. So far so good however after sending my letter of intent and even though my son is not the compulsory age yet our school district did threaten to call DCF due to my sons absences. I have heard some areas are great about it and others are terrible. My suggestion is make sure your connected with HSLDA your first year here in case you have any problems. 

The Cape is wonderfull, I hope you do get to move here!!!

melindabelcher
by Mel on May. 12, 2014 at 7:00 AM
We are homeschooling in MA. And we know MANY families in MA that homeschool with no issues
We've had no issues.....so far. We wrote our own letter of intent and received our "approval" letter within days of the review.
There's alot of groups. Some are more srictly co-op academic and others are full of activities (hikes, arts etc)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN