Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

IHIP: Detailed or brief?

Posted by on May. 11, 2014 at 2:10 PM
  • 7 Replies

Is it better to be extremely detailed in your IHIP or is it best to be brief and to the point? I've heard pros and cons for both and I'd love to hear your opinions!

I've read some horror stories about New York being extremely unfriendly to homeschoolers so I want to make sure I complete the IHIP in a way that won't get me a ton of grief :) 

Thanks in advance <3

by on May. 11, 2014 at 2:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
NYCitymomx3
by Bronze Member on May. 11, 2014 at 10:13 PM
1 mom liked this

I do a detailed IHIP and it's allowed for my quarterlies to be brief.  I'd rather have less to write 4x a year.  But whatever you want to do is fine.  Either way works.  

BellaRose17
by Member on May. 11, 2014 at 10:59 PM

I was leaning toward completing a detailed IHIP but a few homeschoolers in my school district advised against it and recommended being brief...what are the "risks" of completing a detailed IHIP? It seems like more information would be a good thing, right?

Quoting NYCitymomx3:

I do a detailed IHIP and it's allowed for my quarterlies to be brief.  I'd rather have less to write 4x a year.  But whatever you want to do is fine.  Either way works.  

NYCitymomx3
by Bronze Member on May. 11, 2014 at 11:44 PM
1 mom liked this

There are no risks with a detailed IHIP.  I don't put book titles, I just put a general outline of what I "may include but shall not be limited to".  This way, I have the freedom to change things as I go along if I want to.  My IHIP, detailed as it is, is still only 1 page and all I do is copy and paste the Typical Course of Study form the worldbook.com page.  If you make your IHIP brief, your quarterlies have to be a lot more detailed, with descriptions of what you did for each one.    My quarterlies are about a paragraph long each - actually I use the same quarterly each quarter, I just change the dates.  :)  Easy peasy.  BUT... you may be in a more difficult district that requires more info.  You won't know until you try.  If they ask for more (within the regs, of course), then just send it.  No biggie.

Quoting BellaRose17:

I was leaning toward completing a detailed IHIP but a few homeschoolers in my school district advised against it and recommended being brief...what are the "risks" of completing a detailed IHIP? It seems like more information would be a good thing, right?

Quoting NYCitymomx3:

Angela

DD(20) Hair Stylist (in training) in downtown Manhattan, graduating in late summer
DD(17) Dancer at the (real) Fame school, performing arts conservatory in the fall 
DS(13) Experiential homeschooler, mixed martial artist, Confirmand

CITYSCHOOLING

mem82
by Platinum Member on May. 12, 2014 at 10:00 AM
1 mom liked this
I am in Ohio and we only send one in once a year. Mine is a page long.
BellaRose17
by Member on May. 12, 2014 at 9:02 PM

Thank you so very much! That is such a wonderful resource! I'm relieved to hear that you can't go wrong with being detailed. I would prefer to be detailed in order to make sure I don't run into any issues along the way. :)

I have one more question in regards to quarterly reports and the annual report: Is the annual report sent in addition to the fourth quarterly report or is the annual report the same thing as the fourth quarterly report? (I hope that makes sense lol)

Thank you so much! & Your blog is amazing ^_^

Quoting NYCitymomx3:

There are no risks with a detailed IHIP.  I don't put book titles, I just put a general outline of what I "may include but shall not be limited to".  This way, I have the freedom to change things as I go along if I want to.  My IHIP, detailed as it is, is still only 1 page and all I do is copy and paste the Typical Course of Study form the worldbook.com page.  If you make your IHIP brief, your quarterlies have to be a lot more detailed, with descriptions of what you did for each one.    My quarterlies are about a paragraph long each - actually I use the same quarterly each quarter, I just change the dates.  :)  Easy peasy.  BUT... you may be in a more difficult district that requires more info.  You won't know until you try.  If they ask for more (within the regs, of course), then just send it.  No biggie.

Quoting BellaRose17:

Quoting NYCitymomx3:

NYCitymomx3
by Bronze Member on May. 12, 2014 at 10:46 PM

The 4th quarterly and annual assessment are 2 separate things.  Both are sent at the end of the school year.  Thanks for the kind words - I'm glad you like my blog.  

Quoting BellaRose17:

Thank you so very much! That is such a wonderful resource! I'm relieved to hear that you can't go wrong with being detailed. I would prefer to be detailed in order to make sure I don't run into any issues along the way. :)I have one more question in regards to quarterly reports and the annual report: Is the annual report sent in addition to the fourth quarterly report or is the annual report the same thing as the fourth quarterly report? (I hope that makes sense lol)

Thank you so much! & Your blog is amazing ^_^

Quoting NYCitymomx3:

Quoting BellaRose17:

Quoting NYCitymomx3:

sweetfox3
by Member on May. 13, 2014 at 11:48 AM

I'm in Virginia and am allowed to submit just the overall subjects, which means I don't have to stress about hitting each sub-subject if my children decide that instead of studying medieval europe, they want to study the American Revolution or something like that.  So, our IHIP (or curriculum plan) looks like:  Mathematics, Language Arts (Literature, Composition, Grammar, Vocabular, Spelling),  Science, Social Studies/Humanities (History, Government, and Geography).  I do not list any materials to be used.

At the end of the day, as I'm checking their work, I write what they actually did in a teacher's planner and put their work into a portfolio. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)