Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

ABeka?

Posted by on May. 12, 2014 at 12:17 AM
  • 24 Replies
Hello everyone:)
I'm very new to the homeschooling world. We will be starting the next school year. I have been researching curriculums for about 5 months now. I am sure we decided on ABeka. I was wondering what you ladies thought of them?
by on May. 12, 2014 at 12:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JadeTigr7
by Member on May. 12, 2014 at 12:34 AM

I use Abeka for Language Arts, Writing and Arithmetic for most of my kids.  I like the structure of the program.  I did feel that their history and science was too weak, and their Bible program was too expensive, and not as lenient in teaching different variations for different denominations.  So I added My Father's World curriculum for Bible, History, Science, Art and Music.

bcogoli
by Member on May. 12, 2014 at 6:43 AM

I looked into it and I liked some parts of it and not others. My son has autism so I wanted to pick a complete curriculum so it is more consistent for him. I ultimately went with Landmark but I do wish I could have used the Abeka language arts.

melindabelcher
by Mel on May. 12, 2014 at 6:55 AM
I grew up on abeka and me and my sister excelled in it. One of my brothers failed the program and the other one barely passed and it was a huge struggle. My mom regretts using the program for homeschooling and had much better overall success in later years when she switched programs.
Its much to regimented and isn't flexible enough for me to use. It focuses on way to much paperwork/sitting and isnt engaging enough to work for us. We use and love sonlight!! :)
energygirl
by Member on May. 12, 2014 at 9:17 AM

we use Sonlight for language arts, horizon for math, answers in Genesis for Science and are going to try Abeka for 2nd grade history..... I have friends that use Abeka for most subjects and it seems to work well for some of their kids but not all (depends on the kid, and that is pretty much true of most curriculums).  Abeka has a reputation for being like a textbook, and some Christian schools use it. If you like the idea of textbooks you will probably be happy with it :)

mkjmommy
by Member on May. 12, 2014 at 9:22 AM
I looked into sonlight and l it seems really good.it just seemed that it was a lot of read alouds? Do I have that wrong? When I was looking at the products, it just looked like a lot of what we would by was reading books.

Quoting melindabelcher: I grew up on abeka and me and my sister excelled in it. One of my brothers failed the program and the other one barely passed and it was a huge struggle. My mom regretts using the program for homeschooling and had much better overall success in later years when she switched programs.
Its much to regimented and isn't flexible enough for me to use. It focuses on way to much paperwork/sitting and isnt engaging enough to work for us. We use and love sonlight!! :)
mkjmommy
by Member on May. 12, 2014 at 9:23 AM
I have heard from many people the language arts is really good.
I'll look into landmark. Thank you:)

Quoting bcogoli:

I looked into it and I liked some parts of it and not others. My son has autism so I wanted to pick a complete curriculum so it is more consistent for him. I ultimately went with Landmark but I do wish I could have used the Abeka language arts.

mkjmommy
by Member on May. 12, 2014 at 9:24 AM
Thank you:)

Quoting JadeTigr7:

I use Abeka for Language Arts, Writing and Arithmetic for most of my kids.  I like the structure of the program.  I did feel that their history and science was too weak, and their Bible program was too expensive, and not as lenient in teaching different variations for different denominations.  So I added My Father's World curriculum for Bible, History, Science, Art and Music.

mkjmommy
by Member on May. 12, 2014 at 9:27 AM
Yeah I'm having a hard time between choosing between Abeka and sonlight. Being so new, I really thought I had to choose one. I think I might use both.
Thank you:)

Quoting energygirl:

we use Sonlight for language arts, horizon for math, answers in Genesis for Science and are going to try Abeka for 2nd grade history..... I have friends that use Abeka for most subjects and it seems to work well for some of their kids but not all (depends on the kid, and that is pretty much true of most curriculums).  Abeka has a reputation for being like a textbook, and some Christian schools use it. If you like the idea of textbooks you will probably be happy with it :)

Dawn07
by Bronze Member on May. 12, 2014 at 9:56 AM
I also grew up with Abeka, as well as a few others. I use them for Language Arts, writing, reading, and this year, history. I am using BJU for Bible and math and Apologia for science.
You don't have to use them for every subject, but they are good at helping to get your feet wet until you're ready to pick and choose.
coala
by Silver Member on May. 12, 2014 at 11:52 AM

We currently use the WHOLE program from ABeka.  My SO grew up on and it and was convinced that we needed this for our children.  I can say that I am completely impressed so far.  We are into our 3rd year and my girls are thriving.  The only thing I find really regimented are the tests....I feel like there may be to many.  My kiddo's don't seem to mind it.  We make the program work for us and not us work for it.  I hope that made sense.  We use the accredited program so I have to send it progress reports and get report cards back. 

I do want to say that the biggest reason I haven't switched one of my children over to sonlight is that I can't find what bible they use....there are so many out there and we are very specific about which one we use and teach from.  That might sound silly to some, but it is a key element to what we teach here at home.

I wish you luck on your decision.....choosing your curriculum can be difficult, but really rewarding at the same time.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN