Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

not driving

Posted by on May. 12, 2014 at 3:35 PM
  • 4 Replies

Any other homeschool parents that don't drive or not have their own vehicle?  How do you schedule activities and get to them? 

by on May. 12, 2014 at 3:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Silverkitty
by Bronze Member on May. 12, 2014 at 4:03 PM

I don't drive and had to work with friends to get to activies when hubby was out of the states.

bcogoli
by Member on May. 12, 2014 at 4:57 PM

I drive but we only have 1 car. 2 times a week I drive my husband to work, we leave at 6:15 am. Fortunately he gets out at 3 so it is pretty good timing for us. It is however difficult on days when I don't take the car and then realize the baby is sick, lol. 

Activities outside the home are challenging but we make it work. Have you considerded hosting some activities at your home?

Knightquester
by Bronze Member on May. 12, 2014 at 5:02 PM

When we first started homeschooling over 7 years ago I did not drive and we only had one vehicle so even if I did our only mode of transportation was needed to commute my husband to/from work.  We arranged for extra curricular activities to be done in the evenings and on weekends.  Sometimes I would walk or ride public transportation to/from places with the kids, or on occasion offer to pay for gas so I could carpool with other homeschool families to/from homeschool events.

I started driving over 4 years ago and we have a second vehicle so we're able to do so much more now.  I can't really say the children were missing out on very much when they were younger and new to homeschooling.  The first few years of homeschooling we were more home bound, so I was able to concentrate more on how they learned best, and what worked for them, they also were younger and didn't need to be out and about like they do now.  Now that they are older we're all over the place with their lessons, and dropping them off at friends houses, the mall, or movies.  They are no longer little kids that I need to walk to the park or set up play-dates, so they require more from me whereas they just didn't need to be all over the place when they were younger.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on May. 13, 2014 at 9:45 PM
I'm not currently driving. My husbands schedule is 4 ten-hour shifts fri-sunday. Sat and sun he works from home, so unless he has something important scheduled, he can run us to something and come pick us up later.

I try to only schedule events and classes for the three days he is off otherwise.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)