Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Anyone wanna play teacher?

Posted by on May. 12, 2014 at 9:23 PM
  • 9 Replies

I don't know if you guys give assignments with due dates or not, but I do once in awhile. Sometimes they have to be done during our regular "school" time and other times I want DS to work on it on his own and get used to having to remember once in awhile. Granted, he had reminders all last week, and yet handed in NOTHING this morning.

Come this afternoon he thinks he can play computer. Uh, nope. Not happening.

So he goes upstairs and tells me I hate him and cries for 10 mins. Then I hear, "Where is that stupid book?" About 15 minutes later he emerges with this:

The book I just read is called, The Shakespeare Stealer, by Gary Blackwood. It is a fictional story, with no illustrations. It tells of a boy who is an orphan.

This boy was taken from an orphanage to be apprenticed. After learning a scribble langage claled charactery, though, Widge, as he is called, is merely a servant.

Later, the boy is taken to a new master and told to copy the play, Hamlet, in charactery. The boy fails, and is forced to become a player to escape his master.

I don't like that this book is a bit confusing at times. Things get sort of complicated. I liked that the book was very exciting, and it left me guessing until the end.

6th grade. What would you grade it? I think I'm too annoyed to do so properly.

by on May. 12, 2014 at 9:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
all2gethernow
by Member on May. 12, 2014 at 9:25 PM
I don't know about a grade, but my kids liked the book:) he formed an opinion, which I give kudos for:)
BellaRose17
by Member on May. 12, 2014 at 9:48 PM

I am a complete newbie at homeschooling so I don't feel qualified to play teacher yet...so here is a "bump" but I do know that I would be extremely upset if my girls did that as well. :/ 

AllofFive19
by Bronze Member on May. 12, 2014 at 10:01 PM
1 mom liked this

I wouldn't grade it. I would give him a make-up date and I would probably print out a book report form like http://www.abcteach.com/free/b/bookreport_nonfiction.pdfhttp://www.abcteach.com/free/b/bookreport_maincharacters.pdf or http://www.abcteach.com/free/b/bookreport_maincharacters.pdf or another template and have him fill it in.

hwblyf
by Silver Member on May. 12, 2014 at 10:38 PM
1 mom liked this

It depends on what you were wanting from him.  As far as writing goes for 6th grade, it's not all that great.  His paragraphs are incomplete, he doesn't provide great detail, and his thoughts are not well laid out.  It's a 15 minute bit of work when you gave him a week to do it.

BUT, if you're looking at it as a bit of writing to put down his thoughts about a book...he likes it, it's confusing, it's complicated.   I don't know.  I hate grading things.  I also feel that if I'm going to be grading anything, I need to have a rubric.  A rubric tells the kid not only your grading scheme (A, B, C, D or 1, 2, 3, 4 or one of your own choosing), but HOW to achieve it.  Each paragraph needs to have x number of sentences.  You'll use descriptive words.  You SHOW me scenes and let me draw my own conclusions about the story.  Blah, blah, blah.

I used a lot of words to tell you I don't have an answer for you.  :)

LostTheSlipper
by Bronze Member on May. 12, 2014 at 10:41 PM

Quoting hwblyf:

It depends on what you were wanting from him.  As far as writing goes for 6th grade, it's not all that great.  His paragraphs are incomplete, he doesn't provide great detail, and his thoughts are not well laid out.  It's a 15 minute bit of work when you gave him a week to do it.

BUT, if you're looking at it as a bit of writing to put down his thoughts about a book...he likes it, it's confusing, it's complicated.   I don't know.  I hate grading things.  I also feel that if I'm going to be grading anything, I need to have a rubric.  A rubric tells the kid not only your grading scheme (A, B, C, D or 1, 2, 3, 4 or one of your own choosing), but HOW to achieve it.  Each paragraph needs to have x number of sentences.  You'll use descriptive words.  You SHOW me scenes and let me draw my own conclusions about the story.  Blah, blah, blah.

Yeah, this isn't a new type of assignment for him. He's been writing book reports for several years now, he's just being lazy. Hence, my dilemma. Should I just give him a crap grade or have him redo it? But then, I don't feel it's worth a full grade that way because it WAS late. Ugh.

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on May. 12, 2014 at 11:06 PM

I would make him rewrite it.  I would give him remarks about the incomplete sentences and tell him to correct the spelling.

No_Difference
by Silver Member on May. 13, 2014 at 9:24 AM

With my kids, and mostly because this is how it was ingrained into me, especially by 6th grade, every paragraph must have at least 5 sentences. The introduction, 2 body paragraphs minimum, and a conclusion.  It also is going to depend on what you're looking for in the report. Do you want him to talk about setting, characters, plot, etc, or do you just want a summary and his opinion? 
I would write suggestions on it, and then have him rewrite it properly, but with a -10% of the overall grade when he does it right for not taking the time to do it correctly the first time around. (I'm a harsh grader usually...)  

hwblyf
by Silver Member on May. 13, 2014 at 9:58 AM

As a student, I hated redoing work.  I wouldn't do it.  So, as a teacher, I'm hesitant to make a kiddo redo work.  Clearly he wasn't jazzed about the assignment, so he was sassy about it.  Unacceptable, but he's not going to be any more jazzed about it the second time.  I'd let him take the consequence of a bad grade.

Quoting LostTheSlipper:

Quoting hwblyf:

Yeah, this isn't a new type of assignment for him. He's been writing book reports for several years now, he's just being lazy. Hence, my dilemma. Should I just give him a crap grade or have him redo it? But then, I don't feel it's worth a full grade that way because it WAS late. Ugh.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on May. 14, 2014 at 10:53 AM

Why not print out a Rubric for what you had expected.  Show him that what he has provided would grade poorly and have him redo the assignment with the rubric fresh in his mind.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN