Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Am I missing anything?

Posted by on May. 13, 2014 at 2:04 PM
  • 3 Replies

So after 1 failed year at homeschooling and 2 years of public school we are giving another try to home school next year. I really looked into curriculum this time and focused on what my kids should enjoy/be able to use. Here is my list for my 2nd grade girl and 4th grade boy.

Horizons math (at grade level)

All about spelling 1 (for boy not yet for girl)

All about Reading level 1 for both (but the boy will fly through it.... only starting there because public school teaches differently and it has not been working)

Writing with ease 1 for girl 3 for boy (a level behind just to boost confidence and help them catch up)

Christian Kids Explore for science

Story of the World for History

Adventure Bible online for Bible

Ok what am I missing?

Action may not always bring happiness; but there is no happiness without action.  
Benjamin Disraeli

by on May. 13, 2014 at 2:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on May. 13, 2014 at 2:38 PM

Are they very behind in reading? AAR 1 is really for absolute beginners just beginning to sound out CVC words and such. If he is that behind in reading, I would put in in WWE alongside your daughter.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

takes_a_village
by Member on May. 13, 2014 at 4:57 PM

No he is no longer behind. He tested at grade level this year but I have been told that it is hard to just pick up AAR if you do not start level 1. Is there something better to use or some advice you have?

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Are they very behind in reading? AAR 1 is really for absolute beginners just beginning to sound out CVC words and such. If he is that behind in reading, I would put in in WWE alongside your daughter.

Action may not always bring happiness; but there is no happiness without action.  
Benjamin Disraeli

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on May. 13, 2014 at 5:17 PM

I would suggest you nix a phonics reading program for him, if he is a fluent reader, and instead use a phonics based spelling program (like AAS). If he's reading fluently, spelling will teach him any phonics rules that he's missing.

If your second grader is not behind reading, I would nix AAR for her too, and instead use Logic of English Foundations at level (there are placement sheets on the website)... or just use AAS for her too.

Quoting takes_a_village:

No he is no longer behind. He tested at grade level this year but I have been told that it is hard to just pick up AAR if you do not start level 1. Is there something better to use or some advice you have?

Quoting AutymsMommy:

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)