Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I swear this girl is driving me crazy

Posted by on May. 13, 2014 at 3:22 PM
  • 7 Replies

For the last week my daughter has been refusing to do any work. We're not doing anything especially hard, but she acts like I'm asking her to do college level work. She freaks out when I ask her to do anything and gives me an inappropriate almost temper tantrum. It's gotten where I've just had her do Khan Academy for a few days because I get so frustrated when she acts like that. What bothers me the most is that it's stuff I know she knows (or should know).

by on May. 13, 2014 at 3:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
hwblyf
by Silver Member on May. 13, 2014 at 3:40 PM

My oldest pulls that.  Man, those are the days I count down till retirement.  ;-)  I wish I was full of good tips, but the best I can do is to tell you to get a mean face and voice.  :(

romacox
by Silver Member on May. 13, 2014 at 5:08 PM
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on May. 13, 2014 at 5:35 PM
1 mom liked this

First, make sure (before becoming angry or aggravated) that she DOES know this stuff, not just "should" know it. She may be frustrated.

Second, not everything in life is enjoyable and not everything in life can be made to be enjoyable. School must get done (in this house). I do try to make it enjoyable, but at the end of the day, if my efforts fall short, school work still must be done ("suck it up, buttercup").

P.s. Everything is more enjoyable with a fresh batch of brownies on the table - even math or the most mundane literature assignment :)

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

mem82
by Platinum Member on May. 14, 2014 at 10:36 AM
My son did that. He did have an eye sight issue. Resolving that helped quite a bit. After that, we just had to get out the thumb screws. ;)
coala
by Silver Member on May. 14, 2014 at 11:47 AM

My almost 6 yo is taking nearly 7 hours to complete 2 hours worth of work.  She hasn't been allowed to go "out" to play in DAYS!!  It is really frustrating that I have to keep reminding her that she is the problem....not the rest of us.  I don't know how someone can have 5 hours worth of distractions, but I guess anything is possible.

In this house "school work" is done or nothing else happens.  She had to take unfinished work with her to the skating rink last night and had to finish there before she could finally run off and play.  Her little friend had to wait for her....and could I explain to a 2 yo who only speaks Spanish that my DD couldn't play....nope.  I had to have a friend translate it for me.  LOL

RADmomma
by Member on May. 14, 2014 at 12:37 PM
1 mom liked this

my oldest has been like that the past few weeks...

I have split up the day and done an hour of work for a half hour break. On her half hour "break" I let her watch TV.... or go on the computer... but its still something educational.

I have taken our lessons outside. Even if it doesnt really apply... Like yesterday we practiced spelling and math with sidewalk chalk and rocks.

I also take away the paper and work books... I let her write on the sliding door glass with a dry erase marker...

When she has to sit I let her sit on a yoga ball istead of a chair. She can rock and wiggle while still doing her work.

Good luck.

crystalclear12
by Member on May. 14, 2014 at 6:40 PM
Mine does that too. I remind her of her goals and this is fifty-fifty. She has to do her part. She is only going to fail herself. She cries and then realizes I'm right and starts working;-)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN