Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

School over the summer?

Posted by on May. 13, 2014 at 5:29 PM
  • 30 Replies

We wrapped up our 180 days last week (hooray!) but I do intend to keep the kids occupied somewhat with "learning" this summer. I am curious what other homeschooling moms do during the summer. Is it just the same as any other time, with the same amount of school work? Do you take any time totally OFF? Or just a lighter load? Is there any sort of method to your madness? (because let's face it, we're all MAD by this time of year!)

by on May. 13, 2014 at 5:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on May. 13, 2014 at 5:32 PM
1 mom liked this

We finished our 180 days on April 28th.  We are taking a couple of totally off weeks, but then we'll do some unschooling.  Pick topics and research them, watch documentaries on rainy days, etc.

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on May. 13, 2014 at 5:33 PM

Here is what I am planning on...

Taking the rest of May 100% totally OFF from any real 'school' work. We still read together in the afternoons and at bedtime, but that's pretty much it.

The first week of June, my girls are going to art camp, so I will try to do something special with my son at least one or two days that week.

Then starting the 2nd week of June, assigning a small amount of practice work each day to be done after breakfast, before they get on any screens, go outside, etc. I have seen some things (like on pinterest) where people do a "Math Monday," "Craft Tuesday," etc. I may try something like that, not sure yet. Or I may just give them 1 worksheet or a few problems from a math lesson, IDK for sure. Math is the main issue - I know with the library summer reading program they will have no trouble being motivated to keep reading - but the math skills are so easy for my kids to forget! 

We also got passes to an amusement park this year for the first time. It's about an hour away, but I want to go at LEAST once a week. That will be a lot of walking, swimming (huge water park), and maybe we can get some good books on CD for the drive there and back home.

hwblyf
by Silver Member on May. 13, 2014 at 5:38 PM
2 moms liked this

Ok, we took time off, and my children reverted to their ancient ape ancestors.  :(  So we've been doing Bible and some reading or math and a quiet time in the afternoon.  They're less ape-like, but not by much.  I may need to gear up earlier than anticipated.

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on May. 13, 2014 at 5:41 PM

Quoting hwblyf:

Ok, we took time off, and my children reverted to their ancient ape ancestors.  :(  So we've been doing Bible and some reading or math and a quiet time in the afternoon.  They're less ape-like, but not by much.  I may need to gear up earlier than anticipated.

LOL at this! :) I can totally relate!

My children fight, cry, get distraught, SO MUCH  MORE when they aren't doing school. In theory they want "free" time but unfortunately that usually ends up meaning just more "screen time" which is fine in moderation, but not good when they get all crabby.

jen2150
by Silver Member on May. 13, 2014 at 5:45 PM
We do light work in April and may. Take off June and start back in July with our new year.
hwblyf
by Silver Member on May. 13, 2014 at 5:46 PM

I still can't even bring myself to talk about their latest antics.....ugh....

Yeah, I think structure is good.  Less "work", but the same structure.

Quoting hipmomto3:

Quoting hwblyf:

LOL at this! :) I can totally relate!

My children fight, cry, get distraught, SO MUCH  MORE when they aren't doing school. In theory they want "free" time but unfortunately that usually ends up meaning just more "screen time" which is fine in moderation, but not good when they get all crabby.

kmath
by Silver Member on May. 13, 2014 at 6:48 PM

We will take a few weeks completely off and then we will do some lighter stuff just to keep him from forgetting everything.  More fun projects than anything probably. 

puglove029
by Member on May. 13, 2014 at 8:47 PM

We do English/Language Arts and Maths year round. In the past, too much information was lost during long breaks. We also take breaks as needed.

JadeTigr7
by Member on May. 13, 2014 at 9:45 PM

We do school year round because we take breaks when my husband can take leave.

elizabooks
by Member on May. 14, 2014 at 8:18 AM

The activities change, but there is still school. For example more reading due to various summer reading clubs, more science due to gardening and keeping up on language and music.

Unfortunatly the language and music will be one on one now since the rest of her class are taking a break, which means fewer classes a month, but at least it will be something.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN