Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

We wrapped up our 180 days last week (hooray!) but I do intend to keep the kids occupied somewhat with "learning" this summer. I am curious what other homeschooling moms do during the summer. Is it just the same as any other time, with the same amount of school work? Do you take any time totally OFF? Or just a lighter load? Is there any sort of method to your madness? (because let's face it, we're all MAD by this time of year!)

by on May. 13, 2014 at 5:29 PM
Replies (11-20):
4wildbeasts
by Member on May. 14, 2014 at 8:43 AM
We are going to do math and reading every day (for us that is Tuesday through Friday). We will also do grammar twice a week and lots of hands on science stuff like gardening, insect scavenger hunts, identifying birds, ect... Normally we would not do history over the summer, but this year we are going to study the states because in August we are leaving for a month long trip across the country.
mem82
by Platinum Member on May. 14, 2014 at 10:24 AM
We take June completely off. I can't say we aren't doing anything because we spend summer going to different historical sites and parks so the kids do spend time learning. We don't actually write or do Math, though.
Codysmom2106
by Member on May. 14, 2014 at 12:00 PM

We are off this week and maybe next. We'll see but after that we won't break again until we go see my parents. When we get back we will be back at it again. I plan on year round schooling right now and breaking when needed for short periods of time. He loses too much as it is. 

SuperMommy408
by Tamara on May. 14, 2014 at 12:30 PM
We do school year round and take short breaks here and there, our days are lighter during the summer.
dougiesmom
by Member on May. 14, 2014 at 1:31 PM

We have summer reading to keep them in books from the end of May through June, and we still read every day regardless. Our oldest will be doing math activities throughout the summer since she has a hard time keeping things in her head even one day to the next; I'm certainly not going to let her go three months without doing anything! The younger two seek out educational activities on their own, so I don't have to schedule anything for them.

oahoah
by Member on May. 14, 2014 at 1:37 PM

We are going to continue with math as that is our weak subject, and probably geography and history as well because those are the "fun" things that my boys like (9,6 & 4y/o).  We will probably do a science project or two as well and may get a head start on anatomy, nature studies, reading. We pretty much will just keep up with what we are doing but it will be at a slower pace and not a big deal if we skip a day or two. 

mom2gdj
by Member on May. 15, 2014 at 8:00 AM

We concentrate on keeping math skills up and writing. I have them write a paragraph a day and do some sort of math worksheet a day. I will also combine their paragraphs so by the end of the week they have a 5 paragraph essay. This summer I may make it to where they will end up writing a 10 paragraph essay.

Shannon

tuffymama
by Bronze Member on May. 15, 2014 at 9:39 AM
We are year-round. LO is picking up some reading skills right now and I don't want to slow his momentum. DH's schedule is changing with our move to the farm, so our school week will be shorter anyway, and that is just fine with me. I'm starting LO on K in July-August if he continues to make gains the way he has recently; otherwise, I will hold off until September. Our birthday is in four days! LO will be five, and I will be old enough ;) so we are planning a late birthday road trip a month from now, since we *should* be settled from the move by then.
NYCitymomx3
by Bronze Member on May. 15, 2014 at 12:31 PM

The school years is over at the end of June for us.  July and August will be a lighter load - probably 2-3 days a week of just math and reading.  

RCHOUDH
by Member on May. 15, 2014 at 12:40 PM

We usually take on a lighter load, meaning whatever books and lessons we were unable to finish during the regular school year, will be carried on over towards the summer. Then when they finally finish all their books and lessons, I give them the rest of the summer off because I need a break too :)!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN