Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

We wrapped up our 180 days last week (hooray!) but I do intend to keep the kids occupied somewhat with "learning" this summer. I am curious what other homeschooling moms do during the summer. Is it just the same as any other time, with the same amount of school work? Do you take any time totally OFF? Or just a lighter load? Is there any sort of method to your madness? (because let's face it, we're all MAD by this time of year!)

by on May. 13, 2014 at 5:29 PM
Replies (21-30):
coala
by Silver Member on May. 15, 2014 at 12:44 PM

We are about at our halfway point.  We started in January....so our "time off" will be through the holidays.  I plan to make those about fun, math, and baking (chemistry).  LOL

Mweddle
by Member on May. 15, 2014 at 5:18 PM

We started Alpha mid year because she got through Primer really quickly.  NOW my plan is to finish Alpha during the summer with reading mixed in.  She will get 2 weeks off when the other kids get out for summer and she will get a week off before school "officially" starts next year.

jjchick75
by Member on May. 16, 2014 at 11:25 AM
We finished up last week and are taking the summer off. We'll still read, go the Children's museum, and things like that but no formal stuff. I can't imagine going year around. It just isn't for my family. We all need a long break right now lol.
sweetfox3
by Member on May. 16, 2014 at 1:12 PM

We don't do the 180 days, exactly.  We school year-round, so my kids do not get "summer vacation."  Once they finish one level in a subject, we start the next level the next day.  I find that if we take time off, it gets harder to get back into the groove and they "lose" knowledge and we must play catch-up. 

When we are on actual vacation, time requirements for work and assignments may be lighter than normal and do stuff related to the vacation. 

ETA:  for answering "what grade are you in?" questions, we use June 1 as the date to say "I'm going into x." and September 1 as the date to say "I'm in x."  Actual level is more convoluted...

ColtsFan1912
by Bekah on May. 16, 2014 at 1:13 PM

We're doing a unit study this summer. The Oregon Trail :) We will be pretty laid back with it but it should be a lot of fun.

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on May. 16, 2014 at 2:54 PM
Once we are officially done for the year, we will take a full week off.

Then the kids will have summer workbooks (if they finish all of their math and reading). They also do summer reading program's through the library and Barnes and Noble. We will continue history over the summer as well. They will work for maybe an hour a day.

We will take another week off for the 4th of July.
cassielc84
by Member on May. 16, 2014 at 3:43 PM

We are about finished with Kindergarten. Im going to see about getting some refresher material for the summer may even start on 1st grade if my oldest is wanting to. My twins also start pre-school this year. But we started Kindergarten back in August when the school kids started here. Then got so far ahead that we took an extra Christmas break and a vacation break when Daddy was on vacation. She is still going to be done earlier than the school kids here who dont get out until 1st week of June!

Scribbleprints
by Member on May. 17, 2014 at 1:00 PM

I'm not really a homeschooler--I just use summer to cover the subjects that they don't cover in school (language, and this year plans for handwriting, because they just really skipped that).  

However, I might be going full time homeschooling with my youngest.  While the other two thrived in school he did not.  So summer will be a trial for how homeschooling goes so I can figure out what to do for him next year (homeschool, private school, or just repeat Kindergarten at his current school).  

AllThatBabyJazz
by Bronze Member on May. 25, 2014 at 11:08 PM

We school year round, and it's a good thing because we ended up needing to take more time off recently, than I really had planned on. I am having a c section on Tuesday and I will give myself 2 weeks to rest up and then we will get back into the swing of things. The kids have been begging to do their lessons but this pregnant Momma has been struggling just to get out of bed. 

coala
by Silver Member on May. 26, 2014 at 11:47 AM

I make mine work in their hand writting by giving them a "project to work on" that requires reading (2 birds one stone) and then some math.  Other than that it is pretty light.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)