Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Geography...what is it?

Posted by on May. 14, 2014 at 11:44 AM
  • 12 Replies

My husband and I are having a debate about what exactly the subject of geography includes...

He says that it is merely the study of land-formations and the study of the earth's layers and things like that...isn't there more to it than that?

by on May. 14, 2014 at 11:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
elizabooks
by Member on May. 14, 2014 at 12:58 PM
2 moms liked this
I've always thought it involved map skills and country divisions.
Precious333
by Silver Member on May. 14, 2014 at 1:09 PM
2 moms liked this

it integrates into history as well :)

Bethbeth
by Member on May. 14, 2014 at 1:26 PM
2 moms liked this

also includes info about the people who live in different lands.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on May. 14, 2014 at 1:35 PM
1 mom liked this
I dont incorporate people and history into my geography other than labeling countries. However, geography is considered social studies/history in the school system.

I do talk about geography a lot with history but we do a separate geography book that is only landforms and maps and graphs, etc. So I do history and tie in geography but never teach geography and add in history.

Did I just confuse ya more? LOL
JadeTigr7
by Member on May. 14, 2014 at 1:48 PM
3 moms liked this

We're doing World Geography right now.  We're learning about the continents, the biomes of the different countries within the continents, and about the people who live in the different countries.  We're also learning map and directional skills.

My kids can now locate and identify far more countries than I could at their age. 

No_Difference
by Silver Member on May. 14, 2014 at 2:27 PM
4 moms liked this

the study of earth layers I think would go more with geology not geography...
Geography is the study of land, and landformations as it relates to people, and how people are affected by the land. This includes population, culture, religion, climate, etc.
Typically, it is really easy to intergrate into history lessons since you're all ready studying about people, and many times their culture... Throwing in some maps where/when you're studying is usually really easy, and have them mark major landmarks such as rivers and mountains... The key with geography is to talk about why those landmarks are important to how and why those things happened. How could it have been different for a that culture if they lived in a different region in the world that didn't have those physical features? If this event happened during this time because of these physcial features, how could it have been different in this time (for instance, Alexander the Great marching through mountains across Europe, to how long it would have taken if he was alive during this century for example)? 

BellaRose17
by Member on May. 14, 2014 at 2:50 PM

Thank you all so much! :) 

katyq
by Member on May. 15, 2014 at 2:20 AM
  1. What grade? In k it begins with oceans and continents and simple map making and map reading and progresses through land forms and climate regions and notable countries then onto more in depth of continents and their countries, at which point the CIA country factbook is an excellent resource. Cultures and their highlights, politics, resources, contributions to the world etc.
knightmoon
by on May. 15, 2014 at 6:03 AM

I would say it's rivers, mountain chains, direction points on a compass, latitude and longitude, plate tectonics, continents, topography of countries/provinces/states, history of other countries/cultures around the world in other countries, being able to read a map/map skills, politics though that would probably fall under Government.  

Proud American Muslim, co-wife, blogger, gamer in an inter-racial/cross-culture marriage.  

Broken Borders-my family blog

Moonbeam Den-fan fiction blog

TidewaterClan
by on May. 15, 2014 at 8:45 AM

I purchased our geography/social studies for next year's 7th grade. It has all sorts of information about the people, their resources, products, etc.  I'm excited to learn and I hope my older daughter is too.  :)

We purchased Ticket to Ride, and I plan to purchase the European edition too.  I've heard from many people the games are great ways to learn geography. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)