Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

High school students. (PIOG)

Posted by on May. 15, 2014 at 1:35 AM
  • 14 Replies

I was wondering if any one here home schools a high school student, or if you all have littler ones. I have a son who will be in 8th grade next year and after that has asked to go back to homeschooling, which I happily agreed, as the high school he would go to has over 1,500 students and he would be so lost.

I am trying to figure out now before he starts home school where to get some curriculum ideas for a 8th/9th grade level. I really was wanting something mastery based, that is multi sensory, I have a very visual/ hands on learner, who hates to read and write, so trying to find something to fit that is hard, or I am just not looking in the right places yet! Also really don't want anything related/aligned to common core as that is so crappy they don't learn anything from it!  Can be christian or not, as I can tweak that part.

He has adamantly stated he is not going on to college, so I am not pushing for that right now as it will turn him off of learning, just ask his school counselor. Right now he is really interested in becoming a photographer and wanting to learn more about that too. Just was wondering if anyone had any ideas where to look for something like this. Thanks.

by on May. 15, 2014 at 1:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mom2gdj
by Member on May. 15, 2014 at 7:57 AM

I am a mom of a soon to be homeschool graduate. We have homeschooled since the beginning. We have used Switched on Schoolhouse in the younger high school years. We used Bob Jones History. In 9th grade I enrolled her in a coop where she took only  math and science. For 10-12th grades we were enrolled full time where she took all of her core classes (math, science, English, and history.) We have loved it. I really like the IEW writing based curriculum for writing. We have used Holt Math, ALEKS math, Abeka Chemistry and Physics. 

Not sure about the photography thing but I bet if you just send him outside to play with the camera he will figure out what is good and what is not.

HTH,

Shannon

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on May. 15, 2014 at 9:44 AM

My eldest is coming home again next year and will be in grade 8. At her age, we are educating this next year with an eye on high school, so we've already considered materials and a sequence for high school. The difference here is that DD does plan to attend college.

Our math sequence looks like:

8th: Algebra 1 (maybe Algebra 2)

9th: Geometry

10th: Algebra 2 or pre calc

11th: pre calc or calculus

12: stats, finite math, or some other math elective

Our Science sequence looks like this:

8th: Physical Science (unless she'd prefer life science - that'll be up to her; we lean a bit more interest led in science until high school)

9th grade: Physics

10th grade: Biology

11th grade: Chemistry

12th grade: Calculus based physics or another bio class (depends on where her college goals aim)

Our History/Social Studies sequences looks like this:

8th: Modern World History and United States Civics

9th: American History

10th grade: World History survey

11th grade: Euorpean History

12th grade: History elective

DD is dyslexic, so her language arts sequence accounts for as much, and isn't incredibly typical. I need to fit geography in somewhere, but I'm not sure where yet, lol.

We enjoy Ellen McHenry for middle school science studies. In high school I like Kolbe Academy's lesson plans using secular texts, but adding Catholic worldview - they also take otherwise public school texts and make them "homeschool friendly".

For maths... I'm not sure where we're going to go, in terms of curriculum. We'll use CLE Algebra 1 this upcoming year, as well as AOPS Intro to Algebra (if she enjoys AOPS, we'll drop CLE and pick up an AOPS online class). If she does well with AOPS Intro to Algebra, we'll just keep the rhythm and stay with AOPS through high school.

For history we use Catholic materials. We'll use Light to the Nations volume 2, with literature, this upcoming grade 8 year. After that, we'll use the other Catholic School Textbook Project books.

For civics we'll use Notgrass.

For geography I *really* want to fit in Mapping the World With Art (Ellen McHenry is the publisher - same as our science favs).

For writing we'll likely stick with IEW.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

NYCitymomx3
by Bronze Member on May. 15, 2014 at 12:28 PM

My ds will also be in 8th grade next year.  He has decided he'd like to homeschool for high school as well (yay!).  He, like your son, hates to read and write and likes more hands-on learning.  I got a little ambitious and already tentatively planned out the next 5 years based on his learning style.  Here's the high school part.  Maybe it'll give you some ideas:

9th grade:  American Literature, Killgallon’s Grammar, Paragraph Writing, & Sentence Composition for High School, TT Geometry (and/or Life of Fred), K12 Human Odyssey 3, Apologia Biology w/lab, Easy Spanish Step-By-Step, PSAT prep book

10th grade:  British Literature, Killgallon’s Grammar, Paragraph Writing, & Sentence Composition for High School, TT Algebra 2 (maybe), World History: Our Human Story or All Ye Lands: World Cultures & Geography, Apologia Chemistry w/lab, SAT prep book

11th grade:  Shakespeare, Killgallon’s Grammar, Writing, & Sentence Composing for College, TT Precalculus (?), Lands of Hope and Promise: A History of North America, Apologia Physics w/lab, Life Prep for Homeschooled Teens

12th grade:  World Literature, Killgallon’s Grammar, Writing, & Sentence Composing for College, Calculus (not sure which), Government & Economics, Apologia Advanced (Bio/Chem/Phys), Foundations in Personal Finance

Ds will also be volunteering, have an apprenticeship, working, and taking online courses, outside group courses, and community college courses.  

Angela

DD(20) Hair Stylist (in training) in downtown Manhattan, graduating in late summer
DD(17) Dancer at the (real) Fame school, performing arts conservatory in the fall 
DS(13) Experiential homeschooler, mixed martial artist, Confirmand

CITYSCHOOLING

romacox
by Silver Member on May. 15, 2014 at 12:50 PM

How To Home School has several links that should help

LostTheSlipper
by Member on May. 15, 2014 at 3:39 PM

I'm passing this link around. Haven't looked into it too much yet, but it could be helpful:

http://www.thehomescholar.com/

forest.gyrl
by Member on May. 17, 2014 at 10:40 PM

My daughter is done with school and in the air force now. She's 19 and doing great. Her studies were mainly centered on the basic books I obtained through second hand stores and our local college actually. We can borrow from them if we sign up for the program they offer to allow high school students to study with their library. It was so helpful ! We also do a lot of apprenticeships. It all depends on what you want to focus on though.  

TidewaterClan
by on May. 17, 2014 at 11:03 PM

I hope you don't mind my asking Forest this OP!

How and when did she do apprenticeships?  My youngest is interested in all things medical, and my oldest science.  I would love to give them the opportunity to try a career out a bit before we pay for any college classes. 

Thank your dd for her service in the USAF if you get a chance. :)

Quoting forest.gyrl:

My daughter is done with school and in the air force now. She's 19 and doing great. Her studies were mainly centered on the basic books I obtained through second hand stores and our local college actually. We can borrow from them if we sign up for the program they offer to allow high school students to study with their library. It was so helpful ! We also do a lot of apprenticeships. It all depends on what you want to focus on though.  

forest.gyrl
by Member on May. 17, 2014 at 11:32 PM
1 mom liked this

She apprenticed through friends and local townfolk that we found by consulting with our librarian. We have worked with a mechanic, an engineer, a chef, a beekeeper, and a hospice nurse. We had to sign some paperwork for liability purposes and they were limited on certain things of course. But it worked out fabulously. 

Quoting TidewaterClan:

How and when did she do apprenticeships?  My youngest is interested in all things medical, and my oldest science.  I would love to give them the opportunity to try a career out a bit before we pay for any college classes. 

Quoting forest.gyrl:

TidewaterClan
by on May. 18, 2014 at 12:14 AM

Thank you!  It's a wonderful idea to find out what they really enjoy, and (as important!) don't.  Your daughter got to try some cool careers!

Quoting forest.gyrl:

She apprenticed through friends and local townfolk that we found by consulting with our librarian. We have worked with a mechanic, an engineer, a chef, a beekeeper, and a hospice nurse. We had to sign some paperwork for liability purposes and they were limited on certain things of course. But it worked out fabulously. 

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Quoting forest.gyrl:

forest.gyrl
by Member on May. 18, 2014 at 12:24 AM
1 mom liked this

She has life skills now that many girls don't. She can properly maintain her car, make amazing meals, emergency care, and even remove a live hive from her property. Oh and she learned rock climbing, how to care for animals from birth through elderly, and how to properly remove a dead tree safely. I forgot when she apprenticed with the local national forest. I am sure I am missing a lot of others as well.

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Thank you!  It's a wonderful idea to find out what they really enjoy, and (as important!) don't.  Your daughter got to try some cool careers!

Quoting forest.gyrl:

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Quoting forest.gyrl:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)