Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Does it annoy you when PSers say they are 'homeschooling' their kids over summer?

Posted by on May. 15, 2014 at 10:25 AM
  • 44 Replies

Have you ever had anyone tell you they homeschool during the summer? Not just saying that they keep their kids doing educational workbooks so they don't back slide, but claim to be homeschoolers because they do the summerbridge stuff over summer break.

How do you feel about that mindset?

by on May. 15, 2014 at 10:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bethbeth
by Member on May. 15, 2014 at 10:32 AM
1 mom liked this

I think it is great whenever parents take responsibility for teaching their kids and not just expecting others to do it for them.

4girlsmum
by on May. 15, 2014 at 10:34 AM

That's awesome, I m sure the kids arent happy about it though LOL

bcogoli
by Member on May. 15, 2014 at 11:08 AM

I think it is great that they are involved in their childs education like that.  Some of the moms probably still have to work over the summer so squezzing in a few work pages a day sounds like it would be tough. Good for them.

hwblyf
by Silver Member on May. 15, 2014 at 11:24 AM
3 moms liked this

I never thought I was homeschooling them, I just felt I was giving them educational opportunities.  What REALLY burns my butt is when schools recommend to families that they do "enrichment" at home with their kids.  Turns out to be about the same amount of time required for homeschooling, only now the kids' entire day is doing schoolwork because the school is failing those kids.  And parents are good with this????

MaryJarrett
by Member on May. 15, 2014 at 11:27 AM
My mom did that with us, but never called it homeschooling.
JadeTigr7
by Member on May. 15, 2014 at 11:29 AM

Eh, it doesn't bother me what other people call it.  It's not what *I* would call it though.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on May. 15, 2014 at 12:04 PM
1 mom liked this
Lol ... I commented on a thread in another group about how doing a few workbooks is totally different than actual homeschooling.

To me homeschooling is just a totally different mindset.

That said, call it what you want and I really do not.care. It doesn't affect me or my family. 's all good! LOL
coala
by Silver Member on May. 15, 2014 at 12:50 PM
1 mom liked this

I've never heard anyone call it that.  I have several moms in our circle that do enrichment stuff over the summer.  I have one that is excited that her son is finally able to check out Sunshine State books.  They wouldn't let him before May 1st because he is 2nd grader, but is nearly a 4th grade reading level......I don't understand the stifiling of a child's desire to read.

Bobcatridge
by Member on May. 15, 2014 at 5:04 PM

My 13 yr old daughter went to a private school for k through 7th grade.  We will be homeschooling for 8th grade and high school.  Every summer I required that she do reading and math.  She would read books through the library summer reading programs.  They gave prizes if they read 10 books during the summer.  I gave her extra prizes for every 5 books over the standard 10 and they had to be books on her reading level.  My prizes were better.  Sometimes, she would negotiate the prize.  If I read 10 more books, can I have this instead of two smaller prizes.  For math I would look on line and print out worksheets on topics for the coming year.  At minimum she had to do one worksheet a day.  I never called it homeschool.  It wouldn't have occurred to me to call it that.  Last summer before 7th grade she took an actual online pre-algebra course so she could go into honors algebra in 7th grade.  I don't have to push the reading anymore - the kid devours books and reads at college level.  I still push math during the summer although she begged not to do the online geometry course this summer.  So we are going to do some emphasis on life skills such as sewing, cooking, checkbooks, etc. 

mhaney03
by Member on May. 15, 2014 at 5:08 PM

it does a little, but not enough to ruin my day.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)