Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Does it annoy you when PSers say they are 'homeschooling' their kids over summer?

Posted by   + Show Post

Have you ever had anyone tell you they homeschool during the summer? Not just saying that they keep their kids doing educational workbooks so they don't back slide, but claim to be homeschoolers because they do the summerbridge stuff over summer break.

How do you feel about that mindset?

by on May. 15, 2014 at 10:25 AM
Replies (11-20):
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on May. 15, 2014 at 5:10 PM
Who cares. We get the summer workbooks if the kids finished their reading and math curriculum. We do the library and Barnes and Noble summer reading program's. Then we learn through play.

We homeschool year round because we do that.

If they want to call it homeschooling they can but the everyday life of a homeschooler is harder than my summer months are. If you have curriculum.
DawnPratt23
by on May. 15, 2014 at 5:11 PM
1 mom liked this
I dont think its a competition. Whatever works for their family.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jen2150
by Silver Member on May. 15, 2014 at 5:47 PM
I think it is great they are showing an interest. Though if they prob me for opinions they may not like what I have to say. A few workbooks does not mean you are homeschooling. Homeschooling is a completely different mindset.
collinsmommy0
by Member on May. 16, 2014 at 2:28 PM
Not really.

However I have a friend who had a baby and took her 3 year old out of daycare (which she calls 'school'), did nothing with him (now I don't think much is required to 'do' homeschool preschool but she told me he watched TV 4-6 hours during the day then played after school with his sister, who is 6).....& every time I hung out with her, probably 1-2 times a week on her 6 month maternity leave, she would say, while putting her fingers up in quotes:

"I do 'Montessori preschool' with him. (Laughs). It basically means I do nothing but it's still homeschooling!"

It basically made me feel like she was mocking me. After enough times, I stopped hanging out with her & only see her about every other month. And I may stop hanging out with her if the comments continue
bren_darlene
by Bronze Member on May. 16, 2014 at 10:33 PM
1 mom liked this

LOL,  a bit. It is not homeschooling. It is just being a parent and helping them to retain what they learned during the school year. My mother did that with me in the 60's and 70's and we never said we were homeschooling. 

Bleacher-mom
by Member on May. 17, 2014 at 12:48 AM
I've never had any one say that to me so I don't know how I would feel. But I guess I could see why it would bother homeschoolers that spend months preparing and doing work not just one work book over the summer. But it is nice that they are taking an interest in their child's education.
tuffymama
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2014 at 10:56 AM
2 moms liked this
Meh. Doesn't bother me. Let someone call Velveeta "cheese," though, and I get mad. LOL! JK.
Scribbleprints
by Member on May. 17, 2014 at 1:05 PM

Ha ha...that IS me.  But I know I'm not a homeschooler in the full sense.  I'm homeschooling in summer in language (Spanish) which isn't taught in school...so I'm a one subject homeschooler.  NOT the same as being a full-time homeschooler, but I still need the resources and advice for that subject that homeschooling groups like this one can help with.  And I do think it's accurate to say that I'm homeschooling my kids in Spanish.  I mean--isn't that the same as saying I'm  teaching my children Spanish at home?  

Sorry if I've annoyed anyone.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on May. 17, 2014 at 1:10 PM
1 mom liked this

It never used to bother me.... until....the same woman who last year said she was homeschooling them over the summer asked me why I didn't just homeschool mine over the summer like "normal" people do and let the rest to "the professionals."  So I'm starting to see it less about homeschooling becoming so commonplace that some want to jump on the bandwagon.  She wanted to join our co-op for a summer semester and was irritated that we didn't have one.  She wanted to bring her children to our "homework sessions" to get free help for her children's public school homework.  And she even said she should sue to see if she couldn't force her way in.  That was when I started speaking up to anyone who says they homeschool in the summer.  Homeschooling is much more than a few workbooks pages each day.  It is really a way of life.  Our home is set up very differently than most public school homes.  We have researched learning styles and methods that most PS parents are completely unaware.

tuffymama
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2014 at 1:18 PM
Quoting bluerooffarm:

It never used to bother me.... until....the same woman who last year said she was homeschooling them over the summer asked me why I didn't just homeschool mine over the summer like "normal" people do and let the rest to "the professionals."  So I'm starting to see it less about homeschooling becoming so commonplace that some want to jump on the bandwagon.  She wanted to join our co-op for a summer semester and was irritated that we didn't have one.  She wanted to bring her children to our "homework sessions" to get free help for her children's public school homework.  And she even said she should sue to see if she couldn't force her way in.  That was when I started speaking up to anyone who says they homeschool in the summer.  Homeschooling is much more than a few workbooks pages each day.  It is really a way of life.  Our home is set up very differently than most public school homes.  We have researched learning styles and methods that most PS parents are completely unaware.

I don't know how I would even deal with a threat of litigation for something like that. I don't even know if I could pick my jaw up off of the floor! I can see how that would make a difference in your perception of those people now. I've thought of it like those "nailed it" memes, where someone sees a pic of a perfectly executed cupcake or DIY project, and their recreation is nothing like the original. It might be the same color or something, but it's an entirely different thing. KWIM? Or when a tween says, "Watch me dance like Beyoncé," then it's just pitiful when she repeatedly falls down and hits herself HARD in her own face (this happened at the playground a few weeks back). Workbooks for a few weeks? Sure, sure, you're homeschooling, if that makes you feel better, but whatever. @@
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)