Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Does it annoy you when PSers say they are 'homeschooling' their kids over summer?

Posted by   + Show Post

Have you ever had anyone tell you they homeschool during the summer? Not just saying that they keep their kids doing educational workbooks so they don't back slide, but claim to be homeschoolers because they do the summerbridge stuff over summer break.

How do you feel about that mindset?

by on May. 15, 2014 at 10:25 AM
Replies (21-30):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on May. 17, 2014 at 1:35 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting tuffymama:
Quoting bluerooffarm:

It never used to bother me.... until....the same woman who last year said she was homeschooling them over the summer asked me why I didn't just homeschool mine over the summer like "normal" people do and let the rest to "the professionals."  So I'm starting to see it less about homeschooling becoming so commonplace that some want to jump on the bandwagon.  She wanted to join our co-op for a summer semester and was irritated that we didn't have one.  She wanted to bring her children to our "homework sessions" to get free help for her children's public school homework.  And she even said she should sue to see if she couldn't force her way in.  That was when I started speaking up to anyone who says they homeschool in the summer.  Homeschooling is much more than a few workbooks pages each day.  It is really a way of life.  Our home is set up very differently than most public school homes.  We have researched learning styles and methods that most PS parents are completely unaware.

I don't know how I would even deal with a threat of litigation for something like that. I don't even know if I could pick my jaw up off of the floor! I can see how that would make a difference in your perception of those people now. I've thought of it like those "nailed it" memes, where someone sees a pic of a perfectly executed cupcake or DIY project, and their recreation is nothing like the original. It might be the same color or something, but it's an entirely different thing. KWIM? Or when a tween says, "Watch me dance like Beyoncé," then it's just pitiful when she repeatedly falls down and hits herself HARD in her own face (this happened at the playground a few weeks back). Workbooks for a few weeks? Sure, sure, you're homeschooling, if that makes you feel better, but whatever. @@

We have been talking to a lawyer about how to protect ourselves from any of that litigation.  She is having such a hard time helping her daughter with math homework, but I really don't think we'd be of much help even!  It's such a silly thing IMO.

Your analogy is perfect!  

mem82
by Platinum Member on May. 17, 2014 at 1:50 PM

Welcome to the group! Well, to say you are homeschooling in Spanish is like saying you are homeschooling your kids in Home Ec because you cook with them. Or to say teaching them to drive is homeschooling. 8) It's not really the same thing. It's the language, the word 'homeschool'. It means much more than what you are talking about.I would say, just imo, that it would be more accurate to say you tutor your child in Spanish rather than homeschooling them in Spanish. Honestly, just saying you are teaching your child Spanish would be the most precise way to do it. 8)

We are, of course, more than happy to help with people like yourself who just are looking for advice. We actually get quite a lot of traffic through here from Moms needing help boosting their own kids' problem areas at home.

Quoting Scribbleprints:

Ha ha...that IS me.  But I know I'm not a homeschooler in the full sense.  I'm homeschooling in summer in language (Spanish) which isn't taught in school...so I'm a one subject homeschooler.  NOT the same as being a full-time homeschooler, but I still need the resources and advice for that subject that homeschooling groups like this one can help with.  And I do think it's accurate to say that I'm homeschooling my kids in Spanish.  I mean--isn't that the same as saying I'm  teaching my children Spanish at home?  

Sorry if I've annoyed anyone.

Scribbleprints
by Member on May. 17, 2014 at 2:11 PM

Teaching them Spanish at home probably is the best thing to say, I suppose.  I'll try to stop saying the other.  Tutoring them in Spanish is less than what I'm doing though because Tutoring is supplementing somethng someone else is doing, and no one else is teaching them in this area.  I'd LIKE to have someone else who was a native speaker teach them and have me supplement that, but I can't afford it.   So I do the best I can with what I know.

Quoting mem82:

Welcome to the group! Well, to say you are homeschooling in Spanish is like saying you are homeschooling your kids in Home Ec because you cook with them. Or to say teaching them to drive is homeschooling. 8) It's not really the same thing. It's the language, the word 'homeschool'. It means much more than what you are talking about.I would say, just imo, that it would be more accurate to say you tutor your child in Spanish rather than homeschooling them in Spanish. Honestly, just saying you are teaching your child Spanish would be the most precise way to do it. 8)

We are, of course, more than happy to help with people like yourself who just are looking for advice. We actually get quite a lot of traffic through here from Moms needing help boosting their own kids' problem areas at home.

Quoting Scribbleprints:

Ha ha...that IS me.  But I know I'm not a homeschooler in the full sense.  I'm homeschooling in summer in language (Spanish) which isn't taught in school...so I'm a one subject homeschooler.  NOT the same as being a full-time homeschooler, but I still need the resources and advice for that subject that homeschooling groups like this one can help with.  And I do think it's accurate to say that I'm homeschooling my kids in Spanish.  I mean--isn't that the same as saying I'm  teaching my children Spanish at home?  

TidewaterClan
by on May. 17, 2014 at 9:28 PM

That lady seems to have some serious issues.  I wouldn't touch helping her with a nine foot pole, because I'd bet she'd harass anyone who did when her child still isn't getting As.  Sad you all have to go through that, AND odd!

We have been talking to a lawyer about how to protect ourselves from any of that litigation.  She is having such a hard time helping her daughter with math homework, but I really don't think we'd be of much help even!  It's such a silly thing IMO.

Your analogy is perfect!  

TidewaterClan
by on May. 17, 2014 at 9:30 PM

JMO, but I think "homeschooling Spanish" is just fine since you're doing all of it.  :)

Quoting Scribbleprints:

Teaching them Spanish at home probably is the best thing to say, I suppose.  I'll try to stop saying the other.  Tutoring them in Spanish is less than what I'm doing though because Tutoring is supplementing somethng someone else is doing, and no one else is teaching them in this area.  I'd LIKE to have someone else who was a native speaker teach them and have me supplement that, but I can't afford it.   So I do the best I can with what I know.

Quoting mem82:

Quoting Scribbleprints:

TidewaterClan
by on May. 17, 2014 at 9:33 PM

Doesn't bother me.  I have a girlfriend who says she homeschools her son after school, and I'll bet she IS doing most of his schooling.  

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on May. 17, 2014 at 9:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Yeah, she has some serious issues and is passing them on to her daughter.  

I don't see how we could possibly help her out with her homework.  So much of the CCS math lessons are so stringent about how they get the answers.  We homeschoolers are usually much more flexible about the hows and whys.  And when we aren't flexible the person who assigned the homework is there to answer any questions the tutor has.  Having a third person teacher in the mix just wouldn't work out.   I agree it is odd.  I think she feels left out that so many from our church homeschool.  I felt bad about it, but it just didn't seem as though we could do the things she wants.

Quoting TidewaterClan:

That lady seems to have some serious issues.  I wouldn't touch helping her with a nine foot pole, because I'd bet she'd harass anyone who did when her child still isn't getting As.  Sad you all have to go through that, AND odd!

Your analogy is perfect!  

AllofFive19
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2014 at 9:46 PM
We "played school" over the summer as kids. I don't mind if they call it homeschooling. That's essentially what they're doing.
lady-J-Rock
by on May. 17, 2014 at 9:51 PM
1 mom liked this
I tell people I'm going to homeschool my kids over the summer and I do. I come up with a curriculum and we do it. Last summer we bought flower seeds and we planted the seeds in different areas around our yard. Every day my oldest daughter went out and observed the plants. She kept track of the growth, how much they were watered, by who and bugs around the plant. Then she turned all of her research into a scientific research paper. We always get a state park pass so we can visit random state parks. We have her research the park first. Then we give her an old fashioned map and have her figure out how to get there. How many miles away it is and how long it will take. We will be adding in how much gas we'll need this year. We have visited our State Capitol and the US Capital. We've done animal and plant biology. We have her read one book a week and take notes for a compare and contrast essay. Maths the easy part. Hmm what am I missing.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

It never used to bother me.... until....the same woman who last year said she was homeschooling them over the summer asked me why I didn't just homeschool mine over the summer like "normal" people do and let the rest to "the professionals."  So I'm starting to see it less about homeschooling becoming so commonplace that some want to jump on the bandwagon.  She wanted to join our co-op for a summer semester and was irritated that we didn't have one.  She wanted to bring her children to our "homework sessions" to get free help for her children's public school homework.  And she even said she should sue to see if she couldn't force her way in.  That was when I started speaking up to anyone who says they homeschool in the summer.  Homeschooling is much more than a few workbooks pages each day.  It is really a way of life.  Our home is set up very differently than most public school homes.  We have researched learning styles and methods that most PS parents are completely unaware.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on May. 17, 2014 at 9:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Ummmm....okay?

Quoting lady-J-Rock: I tell people I'm going to homeschool my kids over the summer and I do. I come up with a curriculum and we do it. Last summer we bought flower seeds and we planted the seeds in different areas around our yard. Every day my oldest daughter went out and observed the plants. She kept track of the growth, how much they were watered, by who and bugs around the plant. Then she turned all of her research into a scientific research paper. We always get a state park pass so we can visit random state parks. We have her research the park first. Then we give her an old fashioned map and have her figure out how to get there. How many miles away it is and how long it will take. We will be adding in how much gas we'll need this year. We have visited our State Capitol and the US Capital. We've done animal and plant biology. We have her read one book a week and take notes for a compare and contrast essay. Maths the easy part. Hmm what am I missing.
Quoting bluerooffarm:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN