Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Does it annoy you when PSers say they are 'homeschooling' their kids over summer?

Posted by   + Show Post

Have you ever had anyone tell you they homeschool during the summer? Not just saying that they keep their kids doing educational workbooks so they don't back slide, but claim to be homeschoolers because they do the summerbridge stuff over summer break.

How do you feel about that mindset?

by on May. 15, 2014 at 10:25 AM
Replies (31-40):
lady-J-Rock
by on May. 17, 2014 at 9:59 PM
Am I missing anything from a well rounded homeschooling curriculum?

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Ummmm....okay?

Quoting lady-J-Rock: I tell people I'm going to homeschool my kids over the summer and I do. I come up with a curriculum and we do it. Last summer we bought flower seeds and we planted the seeds in different areas around our yard. Every day my oldest daughter went out and observed the plants. She kept track of the growth, how much they were watered, by who and bugs around the plant. Then she turned all of her research into a scientific research paper. We always get a state park pass so we can visit random state parks. We have her research the park first. Then we give her an old fashioned map and have her figure out how to get there. How many miles away it is and how long it will take. We will be adding in how much gas we'll need this year. We have visited our State Capitol and the US Capital. We've done animal and plant biology. We have her read one book a week and take notes for a compare and contrast essay. Maths the easy part. Hmm what am I missing.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

It never used to bother me.... until....the same woman who last year said she was homeschooling them over the summer asked me why I didn't just homeschool mine over the summer like "normal" people do and let the rest to "the professionals."  So I'm starting to see it less about homeschooling becoming so commonplace that some want to jump on the bandwagon.  She wanted to join our co-op for a summer semester and was irritated that we didn't have one.  She wanted to bring her children to our "homework sessions" to get free help for her children's public school homework.  And she even said she should sue to see if she couldn't force her way in.  That was when I started speaking up to anyone who says they homeschool in the summer.  Homeschooling is much more than a few workbooks pages each day.  It is really a way of life.  Our home is set up very differently than most public school homes.  We have researched learning styles and methods that most PS parents are completely unaware.

TidewaterClan
by on May. 17, 2014 at 10:08 PM

I can understand where she'd feel left out, but I don't threaten litigation when I want to make friends!

You're right about the math lessons.  Some of our ps ones had four ways to add, and expected the children to know each versus finding the method that made the most sense and developing solid addition skills.  I feel sorry for her daughter.  She needs to sit down with the books and help her herself.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Yeah, she has some serious issues and is passing them on to her daughter.  

I don't see how we could possibly help her out with her homework.  So much of the CCS math lessons are so stringent about how they get the answers.  We homeschoolers are usually much more flexible about the hows and whys.  And when we aren't flexible the person who assigned the homework is there to answer any questions the tutor has.  Having a third person teacher in the mix just wouldn't work out.   I agree it is odd.  I think she feels left out that so many from our church homeschool.  I felt bad about it, but it just didn't seem as though we could do the things she wants.

Quoting TidewaterClan:

That lady seems to have some serious issues.  I wouldn't touch helping her with a nine foot pole, because I'd bet she'd harass anyone who did when her child still isn't getting As.  Sad you all have to go through that, AND odd!

We have been talking to a lawyer about how to protect ourselves from any of that litigation.  She is having such a hard time helping her daughter with math homework, but I really don't think we'd be of much help even!  It's such a silly thing IMO.

Your analogy is perfect!  

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on May. 17, 2014 at 10:10 PM
1 mom liked this

Well, what method are you using to homeschool your child?  Are you an unschooler?  Does your child lead these activities or do you?  What is her learning style?  Do you keep a portfolio? Do you need to turn that information in to your state?  What are your state's laws regarding homeschooling?  Has anyone asked you how you are going to deal with any gaps that occur in her education?  

Look, it seems as though you have taken offense to me saying that public schoolers who teach their children throughout the summer are not homeschoolers. You are not homeschooling.  You do not have to report to your state about what you do.  You are not completely in control of her entire education.  You finish off the summer and send her to someone else for her education through the majority of the year.

If you ask questions within this group about how to do certain things, or for suggestions on summer activities, or on how to learn about the homeschooling laws, I will be happy to answer those questions; however I am never going to tell you that you are a homeschooler.  Homeschool is a legal term for someone who is completely responsible for the education of their child.  What you do is great, keeping her mind running and growing is great.  But if you are after me telling you that yes, you are a homeschooler, well...you are going to be disappointed.

Quoting lady-J-Rock: Am I missing anything from a well rounded homeschooling curriculum?
Quoting bluerooffarm:

Ummmm....okay?

Quoting lady-J-Rock: I tell people I'm going to homeschool my kids over the summer and I do. I come up with a curriculum and we do it. Last summer we bought flower seeds and we planted the seeds in different areas around our yard. Every day my oldest daughter went out and observed the plants. She kept track of the growth, how much they were watered, by who and bugs around the plant. Then she turned all of her research into a scientific research paper. We always get a state park pass so we can visit random state parks. We have her research the park first. Then we give her an old fashioned map and have her figure out how to get there. How many miles away it is and how long it will take. We will be adding in how much gas we'll need this year. We have visited our State Capitol and the US Capital. We've done animal and plant biology. We have her read one book a week and take notes for a compare and contrast essay. Maths the easy part. Hmm what am I missing.
Quoting bluerooffarm:

It never used to bother me.... until....the same woman who last year said she was homeschooling them over the summer asked me why I didn't just homeschool mine over the summer like "normal" people do and let the rest to "the professionals."  So I'm starting to see it less about homeschooling becoming so commonplace that some want to jump on the bandwagon.  She wanted to join our co-op for a summer semester and was irritated that we didn't have one.  She wanted to bring her children to our "homework sessions" to get free help for her children's public school homework.  And she even said she should sue to see if she couldn't force her way in.  That was when I started speaking up to anyone who says they homeschool in the summer.  Homeschooling is much more than a few workbooks pages each day.  It is really a way of life.  Our home is set up very differently than most public school homes.  We have researched learning styles and methods that most PS parents are completely unaware.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on May. 17, 2014 at 10:13 PM

She probably also needs to call the teacher and ask her to send home some more information about the math homework.  Our ps is the same way.  They often have questions that they simply expect the student to set up the problem a number of ways and don't even care if they solve the problem or not.  How would we know what the teacher wanted any more than she does?

Litigation: making friends for hundreds of year.  :-)

Quoting TidewaterClan:

I can understand where she'd feel left out, but I don't threaten litigation when I want to make friends!

You're right about the math lessons.  Some of our ps ones had four ways to add, and expected the children to know each versus finding the method that made the most sense and developing solid addition skills.  I feel sorry for her daughter.  She needs to sit down with the books and help her herself.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

I don't see how we could possibly help her out with her homework.  So much of the CCS math lessons are so stringent about how they get the answers.  We homeschoolers are usually much more flexible about the hows and whys.  And when we aren't flexible the person who assigned the homework is there to answer any questions the tutor has.  Having a third person teacher in the mix just wouldn't work out.   I agree it is odd.  I think she feels left out that so many from our church homeschool.  I felt bad about it, but it just didn't seem as though we could do the things she wants.

Quoting TidewaterClan:

That lady seems to have some serious issues.  I wouldn't touch helping her with a nine foot pole, because I'd bet she'd harass anyone who did when her child still isn't getting As.  Sad you all have to go through that, AND odd!

We have been talking to a lawyer about how to protect ourselves from any of that litigation.  She is having such a hard time helping her daughter with math homework, but I really don't think we'd be of much help even!  It's such a silly thing IMO.

Your analogy is perfect!  

forest.gyrl
by Member on May. 17, 2014 at 10:18 PM
1 mom liked this

I think that is a wonderful idea. It's called supplemental homeschooling here and anything that furthers the education of a child is always a good thing to me. I see absolutely negative about this. 

TidewaterClan
by on May. 17, 2014 at 10:35 PM

Exactly.  We always practiced getting the right answers.  I understand learning different methods so some of the mental math becomes easier, but after a few trials that should fall to the wayside in favor of the style that works best for the student.

LOL!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

She probably also needs to call the teacher and ask her to send home some more information about the math homework.  Our ps is the same way.  They often have questions that they simply expect the student to set up the problem a number of ways and don't even care if they solve the problem or not.  How would we know what the teacher wanted any more than she does?

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Your analogy is perfect!  

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on May. 17, 2014 at 10:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes!  We did a bunch of our addition facts using the MUS blocks, then we used the number line, then we used chips.  But after a while my middle was just much more comfortable with the number line, so that's what we used.  Why beat a dead horse?  But when someone else is teaching, you need to follow their rules.

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Exactly.  We always practiced getting the right answers.  I understand learning different methods so some of the mental math becomes easier, but after a few trials that should fall to the wayside in favor of the style that works best for the student.

LOL!

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting TidewaterClan:

noraa21
by Member on May. 18, 2014 at 2:50 AM
1 mom liked this

I call it keeping him up to level over the summer, and we only do a couple hours first thing in the morning after breakfast, so he still has his days mostly free!  After next year we are going back to homeshcooling and I can't wait!

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on May. 19, 2014 at 1:42 PM
I don't think it actually bugs me... but it will cause a small double take in an effort to not open mouth insert foot and correct their understanding of homeschooling lol!

It causes a kind of shake my head and grin kind of response.
AmyG1976
by Member on May. 19, 2014 at 2:11 PM

NO that does not bother me lol idk why it would.  I think its great many parents think school is not there job at all and there kids do slide in the summer.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN