Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

job?

Posted by on May. 15, 2014 at 6:14 PM
  • 17 Replies
Hey everyone,

I am prayinv about this, but I may need to get a job. We have 4 kids, dh works 12 hour shifts 5-6 days a week, trying to keep it at only 5 days and 10 hours, and he is paid salary. He doesnr do well with babies, so I fear leaving 4 kids, especially the baby (who is ebfed). Plus homeschooling.....i just dont know what else yo do.
by on May. 15, 2014 at 6:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hwblyf
by Silver Member on May. 15, 2014 at 6:51 PM
1 mom liked this

Can you do some work from home?  Wouldn't it be lovely if there was some organization that paid you for educating your own children and making them productive members of society?

bcogoli
by Member on May. 15, 2014 at 7:00 PM

That would be amazing!!!

maybe you could do after school care for someone elses kids. 

Quoting hwblyf:

Can you do some work from home?  Wouldn't it be lovely if there was some organization that paid you for educating your own children and making them productive members of society?

Precious333
by Silver Member on May. 15, 2014 at 10:17 PM
I was thinking of tutoring, maybe afterschool care would work too. The problem is we live in a tiny house.

Quoting bcogoli:

That would be amazing!!!

Quoting hwblyf:

bcogoli
by Member on May. 16, 2014 at 5:57 PM
2 moms liked this

I think tutoring is a great idea!! 

Quoting Precious333: I was thinking of tutoring, maybe afterschool care would work too. The problem is we live in a tiny house.
Quoting bcogoli:

That would be amazing!!!

Quoting hwblyf:

romacox
by Silver Member on May. 16, 2014 at 8:12 PM
1 mom liked this

I tutor reading and math.  Some home school moms do medical billing. at home. 

Bleacher-mom
by Member on May. 17, 2014 at 12:51 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting Precious333: I was thinking of tutoring, maybe afterschool care would work too. The problem is we live in a tiny house.

Quoting bcogoli:

That would be amazing!!!

Quoting hwblyf:

I ran into a tutor that used to homeschool, she sets up her times at the library.
TidewaterClan
by on May. 17, 2014 at 10:11 AM
1 mom liked this

Sounds like your dh is getting used.  My old company used to make workers salaried so they could skip paying overtime.  Does he like where he is or thinking of going hourly somewhere else?

One of my girlfriends tutors at the library too.  Is your oldest old enough to watch the other children?  

Precious333
by Silver Member on May. 17, 2014 at 11:19 AM
Yes, he is and he knows it. It sucks. I goes back and forth on whether to leave or not. Hr does his job really well and they are considering promoting him to general manager.

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Sounds like your dh is getting used.  My old company used to make workers salaried so they could skip paying overtime.  Does he like where he is or thinking of going hourly somewhere else?

One of my girlfriends tutors at the library too.  Is your oldest old enough to watch the other children?  

tuffymama
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2014 at 11:20 AM
1 mom liked this
I make cakes and pies for a local restaurant. When ODS was little, my second job was bookkeeping for a small contracting firm, and I did that at night. A friend's Gfri cleans office buildings on the weekends. Ten years ago, my brother started a business cleaning medical offices on weekends and nights, and he's grown the business slowly. My old neighbor did laundry and ironing for a couple of lawyers that her sister works for. There's a mom here in town who runs all kinds of errands for working parents, and another mom started out as a pet sitter years ago and now has a flourishing business; she even partners with vets and groomers to provide full service. Meal planning and grocery shopping seems to be a need people have now that fewer families can afford a real housekeeper. I have an acquaintance who has done medical billing and transcription from home, and she preferred the billing. My mom worked a second job for years as a legal transcriptionist (she mainly did appeals but had to transcribe a few *disturbing* depositions, so bear that in mind). A friend's Little Brother is now grown but he started a mobile car detailing business in his senior year of high school, and he is still doing it right though college. I had a math tutor for a couple of middle school years who was a SAHM. I don't know if any of this can help directly, but maybe it can stoke the thought fires for you. Good luck! BTDT!
TidewaterClan
by on May. 17, 2014 at 11:48 AM

Poor guy.  He's probably working too much to really see what else is out there too.  I hope they promote him, and aren't just keeping him on the line.  :(

Quoting Precious333: Yes, he is and he knows it. It sucks. I goes back and forth on whether to leave or not. Hr does his job really well and they are considering promoting him to general manager.
Quoting TidewaterClan:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)