Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms
Has this happened to any of you guys? Lately since there has been so many commercials about K12, I have had a few people (mind you they were against me homeschooling to begin with) tell me what they saw on TV and asked me if I have I thought about it or that I need to look into it.

I usually just tell them we are happy with what we are doing but will consider it when what we are doing ends because it only goes thru 6th grade.

Part of me is thankful to a certain degree that they have accepted that I will continue to homeschool and that my children really are learning and it is nice they are taking some what of an intrest. But the other part of me gets a little irritated because they don't know the countless hours I have spent researching different curriculums (including K12) and different styles of homeschooling. They just see that one out of hundreds that are out there. Once some one says "Have you seen K12 that they've been showing on TV?" I want to just say "Yes, in fact I researched it as well as many, many others that you have never heard of about 5 years ago when you were telling me I shouldn't homeschool at all." Am I wrong for being irritated? Has this happened to you?
by on May. 17, 2014 at 12:29 AM
Replies (11-20):
tuffymama
by Bronze Member on May. 17, 2014 at 12:53 PM
Quoting mamabens:

Yes! K12 isn't offered in our state and my mom actually argued with me that it was because someone at wok told her it was. We live close to ohio so the ads they saw were for Ohio.....I just gave up and told her we were fine. 

Sounds like our moms would get along. We should hook them up through Facebook or pen pals or something. LOLOL!
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on May. 17, 2014 at 1:02 PM

Nobody says anything about K12 to me.  I tried it first and it went horribly.  So now I get to do what I want with nearly no comments.

sheramom4
by Member on May. 17, 2014 at 1:05 PM

Mine go to a hybrid school that uses K12 but we (teachers and parents) are working on developing our own curriculum. My kids have had success with it but we also have a different timeline for completed work and there are areas that have problems. For example, the middle school vocabulary. I have a Master's degree, as do our certified teachers, and we struggle with the vocab. It makes the kids cry. 

Hopefully next year we will be in transition and using parts of K12 mixed with our own curriculum. 

mamabens
by Miranda on May. 17, 2014 at 2:19 PM
1 mom liked this

Lol my mom thinks fb is evil and can barely turn on a computer.

Quoting tuffymama:
Quoting mamabens:

Yes! K12 isn't offered in our state and my mom actually argued with me that it was because someone at wok told her it was. We live close to ohio so the ads they saw were for Ohio.....I just gave up and told her we were fine. 

Sounds like our moms would get along. We should hook them up through Facebook or pen pals or something. LOLOL!

TidewaterClan
by on May. 17, 2014 at 9:36 PM

MIL was asking me about this the other day.  I told her we use better materials and the girls learn more.  

jjchick75
by Member on May. 17, 2014 at 9:41 PM
No but we did a year of K12 with my oldest daughter and didn't like it. I wouldn't do try it again.
forest.gyrl
by Member on May. 17, 2014 at 10:22 PM

Oh yeah I get this from a lot of people. It's a good program for some people but it's not for me. I found out about it years ago. I just tell them that my kids don't learn well that way. It's true. I know women who love the program and I can see why it works for them but my family is just different. 

No_Difference
by Silver Member on May. 18, 2014 at 8:04 AM
1 mom liked this

My mom has started recently pushing K12 at me. I have told her about 20 times (and I'm not exaggerating...this may be an underestimate) "I have heard of K12. I will not use it ever, mostly because in WV it is NOT free." 
Of course se comes back with constantlly, "You're paying for their stuff now."
My response, "Yes, but I know exactly what I'm getting, what we're doing, and I don't have to worry if we take a few weeks off now and then to have some fun."
Typically at this point my mom will tell me she has to go because we can't agree...meaning, she can't bully me into doing what she says...and my mom knows how many hours I pour into researching curriculum because I typically ask for an outside opinion because my hubby and I have been starying at the choices for too long.  

Jenn8604
by Member on May. 18, 2014 at 9:12 AM
Never heard of it.
I'm all for doing your own thing with hs. Whether it's something on a commercial (we don't have TV) or something you see in a magazine, or online.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
elizabooks
by Member on May. 18, 2014 at 9:32 AM

I have heard how good it was from a lot of parents,and how bad it is from teachers,  but it is not offered in my state.

Some of the supplement books have found thier way into our free book store and we ahve done them, but other than that, no.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN