Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms
Has this happened to any of you guys? Lately since there has been so many commercials about K12, I have had a few people (mind you they were against me homeschooling to begin with) tell me what they saw on TV and asked me if I have I thought about it or that I need to look into it.

I usually just tell them we are happy with what we are doing but will consider it when what we are doing ends because it only goes thru 6th grade.

Part of me is thankful to a certain degree that they have accepted that I will continue to homeschool and that my children really are learning and it is nice they are taking some what of an intrest. But the other part of me gets a little irritated because they don't know the countless hours I have spent researching different curriculums (including K12) and different styles of homeschooling. They just see that one out of hundreds that are out there. Once some one says "Have you seen K12 that they've been showing on TV?" I want to just say "Yes, in fact I researched it as well as many, many others that you have never heard of about 5 years ago when you were telling me I shouldn't homeschool at all." Am I wrong for being irritated? Has this happened to you?
by on May. 17, 2014 at 12:29 AM
Replies (21-30):
hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on May. 18, 2014 at 3:54 PM

I have not had anyone tell me I should use it. I think my mom had asked if I'd heard of it because she saw a commercial, but not in a pushy way. More of a, "Have you heard of this/what do you think of it" type way. My mom is pretty supportive of our homeschooling, though.

I have no interest in K12. In Indiana, it's not free unless you have a medical reason you can't go to school (or live in 2 school districts - we don't live in either of those), so we'd have to pay for it. And I have seen enough of it to know it's not really my cup of tea. Now if money were very tight and my main motivation were to keep my children OUT of public school, and it was free, I might be willing to go that route. But money isn't that tight, and my main motivation is a quality education, so I choose differently. 

I have a friend who used it for her girls for a year when they lived in Utah. They moved out here and she asked if I wanted any of their old stuff. I went through it all and having seen it, I can say it's not that strong of a program. It's a LOT of workbook type work. And the literature was a joke! But again, if I had few options, I think it could be "good enough."

ablackdolphin
by Bronze Member on May. 18, 2014 at 10:48 PM
I have heard nothing but bad things about it
firefay
by Member on May. 19, 2014 at 1:39 PM

I got told by my public school teacher mom not even to use that or any other virtual school.  Even a program with certified teachers isn't good enough.  :/ 

CasandraFinlay
by on May. 19, 2014 at 2:01 PM
I've picked a program; Time4Learning. Our school district also provided a long list (in every subject) of what 4th graders will be learning. Based on what the school district lists, I'm building our kid's curriculum around them. I will have to supplement Time4Learning's history curriculum to cover Texas History. I'm excited, and have started supplying our classroom, and I've lined up the first month's lesson plans.

I chose not to do the K12 because of the restrictions. Our son will have to 'go to class' and after viewing the videos on how class is run, I feel there isn't enough flexibility. Kiddo has doctor appointments, and with online class being strict on attendance, it just won't work.
AmyG1976
by Member on May. 19, 2014 at 2:10 PM

I dont like k-12 thats why :) is my answer.  I dont get irritated ppl are just trying to help or learn or understand how it all works.

SciFiMama91
by on May. 19, 2014 at 2:29 PM

I don't homeschool but I'd love to. I wouldn't use k12 because that's not homeschooling, it's public school on a computer. The whole reason for homeschooling is to provide a higher quality education.

SarahinWA
by Member on May. 19, 2014 at 9:33 PM
Very annoying. I just smile and say, "Nah, we're good." So far, that's been sufficient.
sarah_beth
by Member on May. 20, 2014 at 9:47 AM

I am just starting out with homeschooling and have already been asked about K12.  My response is that I have considered it, but have decided against it. I tell them that K12 is like public school at home, with assignments still being due in a limited time, tests and standardized testing each year.  That is exactly what we are trying to get away from.  Texas does not require homeschoolers to be monitored or tested annually. We are subject to no one but ourselves. This reply seems to be enough. 

momof3inTN
by on May. 20, 2014 at 10:02 AM

I used k12 for my older 3 kids when I was taking care of my mom before she passed away. Even with everything going on I pulled my older boys after just 2 weeks and my daughter after 2 months. The workload was insane, the science and literature were a joke and there wasn't as much flexibility as they claim. Here in Tennessee they also had to do common core which only added to the problems. It's just a pitiful program. It's on its last leg here in Tennessee because it had the lowest scores on the tests last year, it almost wasn't re-approved for this year. I don't think it'll be here much longer.

kirbymom
by Sonja on May. 20, 2014 at 2:41 PM
We considered k12 when they first came on ye scene but decided against them because it just didn't have any room for what we wanted for our must've education.
Now, I am thankful we didn't.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)