Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms
Has this happened to any of you guys? Lately since there has been so many commercials about K12, I have had a few people (mind you they were against me homeschooling to begin with) tell me what they saw on TV and asked me if I have I thought about it or that I need to look into it.

I usually just tell them we are happy with what we are doing but will consider it when what we are doing ends because it only goes thru 6th grade.

Part of me is thankful to a certain degree that they have accepted that I will continue to homeschool and that my children really are learning and it is nice they are taking some what of an intrest. But the other part of me gets a little irritated because they don't know the countless hours I have spent researching different curriculums (including K12) and different styles of homeschooling. They just see that one out of hundreds that are out there. Once some one says "Have you seen K12 that they've been showing on TV?" I want to just say "Yes, in fact I researched it as well as many, many others that you have never heard of about 5 years ago when you were telling me I shouldn't homeschool at all." Am I wrong for being irritated? Has this happened to you?
by on May. 17, 2014 at 12:29 AM
Replies (31-34):
kirbymom
by Sonja on May. 20, 2014 at 2:49 PM
Lol
stupid autocorrect.
Mommynay2
by Bronze Member on May. 21, 2014 at 8:14 AM
Thank you for the post and the responses. You all saved Destinay from doing K12 next year. I thought it would be different. I am thinking of doing Lifepac I just have to save the money to buy it.

Quoting Bleacher-mom:
Quoting Beenhereforever: My kids did one year of k12! It was horrible. All day and all night they were constantly doing school work. It was bad. I don't recommend it at ll

Thats what I've heard before! And knowing that you have to meet with a teacher and that there are deadlines wont work for us because we do quite a bit of work during the summer when it's too hot to do anything outside.
MessedUpMama
by Member on May. 21, 2014 at 4:45 PM

We are using Connections Academy, because my DH is worried that the kids won't get the "right" information. In our state the kids have to be tested from 3rd grade on, so they have to know certain stuff. But I don't exactly do everything the way they want you to do it. We read everything, and talk about whatever the subject is and do the portfolios, but that's all.  We expand our studies on the things we think are interesting or move on to the next lesson. It's given us some things to study we might not have thought of on our own and it keeps DH happy.

Perfctmomof3brm
by New Member on May. 21, 2014 at 11:51 PM
I have had at least a dozen friends and family who have tried it and it didnt even last 6months! Awful awful awful! Heard way to many horror stories
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN