Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Bringing home Red...

Posted by on May. 18, 2014 at 7:30 PM
  • 14 Replies

Some things have happened at her private school over the second semester, and after meeting with the Headmaster and math teacher, it's clear those issues aren't going to change...

So, Red will be home next year. She WANTS to come home, and I can't handle another year of this chaos/mess/ridiculousness, so home she comes.

I'm nervous. It's almost like I haven't been doing this for years, lol.

One of her tutors from school is particularly wonderful, though (she came by last night to help DD study for an upcoming test - to our home - for example), and I'm considering hiring her as an OG tutor (DD is dyslexic).

So, yay me! I get to plan for a re-do of grade 7 (we'll be holding her back a year, as she's made no real progress this past year in school). I'm looking at a nifty math program called Jousting Armadillos (series of three books to complete Algebra 1) to use alongside our main math program for next year. She's excited to have time for extracurriculars again, lol.

Just thought I'd tell y'all!!!

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

by on May. 18, 2014 at 7:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
No_Difference
by Silver Member on May. 18, 2014 at 9:35 PM

Sorry you had to deal with crappiness from the school :( Hope next year works well for you both!! :) 

mom2gdj
by Member on May. 18, 2014 at 9:48 PM

Good luck on your homeschool journey. 

Shannon

Codysmom2106
by Member on May. 19, 2014 at 8:00 AM

Good luck!!

hwblyf
by Silver Member on May. 19, 2014 at 8:07 AM

I'm so sorry it was a crapfest.  It sounded so good going in.  Enjoy your time with her again!

mem82
by Platinum Member on May. 19, 2014 at 9:16 AM
I'm so sorry! I mean, I'm happy you get to have her home and I know you will looovvveee buying all that curriculum, but I know that this was supposed to be an ideal situation.
Are you going to to try and double up next year so as to not lose a whole school year?
TidewaterClan
by on May. 19, 2014 at 9:49 AM

Sorry to hear that, but I know you missed her so much.  I'm glad she wants to be home too; I'm sure she'll appreciate it.  Her tutor sounds like a wonderful person!  I hope you can snag her.

On a selfish side: I'm already looking forward to seeing what curriculum/ideas you post and stealing some for myself - ha ha ha!  I'm going to scoot over to Amazon and check out those armadillos . . . 

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on May. 19, 2014 at 9:58 AM

Quoting mem82: I'm so sorry! I mean, I'm happy you get to have her home and I know you will looovvveee buying all that curriculum, but I know that this was supposed to be an ideal situation. Are you going to to try and double up next year so as to not lose a whole school year?

I don't think she could handle doubling up without being miserable. I'm focusing this year on simply progressing in skill areas, and re-igniting her (previously held) passion for math and science, which was turned to a hatred of all things math and science at this school.

She's very, very young for her legal grade, as is, and we had considered holding her back regardless (August baby; she only made the cutoff by a couple weeks). I think that her writing, phonics, spelling, reading fluency need another year, even though her math is very much up to par.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on May. 19, 2014 at 10:00 AM

I did miss her terribly. I, somewhat selfishly, can't wait for her to have the time and energy to watch Bones with us again, and sign up for things like soccer and youth group!

I already have a basic curriculum layout for her. I'm getting help on a biochem year for science from a boardie on another homeschooling forum, using Ellen McHenry (Brain, Cells, Botany, Elements, Carbon Chem) as a spine.

Quoting TidewaterClan:

Sorry to hear that, but I know you missed her so much.  I'm glad she wants to be home too; I'm sure she'll appreciate it.  Her tutor sounds like a wonderful person!  I hope you can snag her.

On a selfish side: I'm already looking forward to seeing what curriculum/ideas you post and stealing some for myself - ha ha ha!  I'm going to scoot over to Amazon and check out those armadillos . . . 

Memere60
by Member on May. 19, 2014 at 12:17 PM

I think it's great that you want her back with you! I only homeschooled my daughter for two years until she could read, but we had a LOT of good times together. She is 31 now, and we are really close (and she became a teacher, of all things!). Good luck. I have a feeling that this is going to have a very happy ending. high fivegood

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on May. 19, 2014 at 12:55 PM

I'm so sorry that things didn't work out.  I know she wanted to have you just be mom instead of teacher too.  But I am happy that she wants to come home!  Enjoy her!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN