Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Thought I had it figured out, but....NOPE!!!

Posted by on May. 19, 2014 at 11:58 PM
  • 3 Replies

I thought I had every thing all figured out for our curriculum next year (which we'll start the begining of July), but now I have decided we need a new math curriculum.  What we have is just not working for us.  My oldest DD went from being fairly good at math while in PS, to now, ending up in tears pretty much every day.  For the other three, it just doesn't seem to be "clicking."  They really aren't learning the concepts from this curriculum.  So I talked to DH, and we decided, since he's making a little more money now, we would scrap what we already have (last year I bought the whole series for grades 1-6 because that only cost about $20 more than just buying the three grades I needed), and had planned on using this year.  DD1 (7th grade) was going to have to move on to something else anyway, and we'd already decided on Teaching Textbooks.  She looked through the book, and looked at the website, and is actually excited to start this new math.  Because of her reaction, I got Teaching Textbooks for DS (4th grade), which he's looked through, and thinks it will be fun.  My problem is, I don't know what to get for the twins.  They will be in 2nd grade, and there isn't a Teaching Textbooks level for 2nd grade.  They are very hands on learners, but I still need to keep the costs down as much as I can.  I've looked at Horizons, LifePac, and Saxon, as well as a few others I had never heard of before (one from McRuffy Publishing and another from Home School Brew look interesting), but I really value other parents opinons over publisher's descriptions.  Anyone have any suggestions.  

by on May. 19, 2014 at 11:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
chotovec82
by Bronze Member on May. 20, 2014 at 12:20 AM
I use Math U See for my children. It's very hands on. I really like the program. It's mastery based so they are learning the concepts completely. There are assessment tests on their website so you know which book your child should start with. My boys have learned a lot. My will be first grader is at 1.5 grade level. So I know it works. :)
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on May. 20, 2014 at 1:34 AM
We are enjoying Math u see here as well. Though teaching textbooks 3 may work for your twins. It is slightly behind grade level from my understanding. My 2nd grader I is using it and does well.
KrissyKC
by Silver Member on May. 21, 2014 at 10:56 PM
We are solidly sold on math u see.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN