Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Why did you chose

Posted by on May. 20, 2014 at 9:22 AM
  • 37 Replies
To homeschool instead of sending you child/children to public schools?

I'm choosingvto pull mine out of public schools and homeschool for several reasons.
One, the are constantly bullied. My oldest son is a nerd. 100% nerd. I love him for it and tell him constantly it's okay. But it doesn't matter when he comes home crying everyday because he is bullied. My youngest has speech problems and he gets picked on for that constantly.
Second, the schools where we live are a joke. I can't stand these schools!
Third, I miss them. I want them with me.
And last but not least, I honestly believe they will benefit more through homeschooling than public schools. The one on one will be best for my oldest.

What are your reasons?
by on May. 20, 2014 at 9:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mem82
by Platinum Member on May. 20, 2014 at 9:29 AM
1 mom liked this
I pulled my oldest after first because the school was keeping her in regular classes instead of advanced because she 'helps' the others by having high test scores.
Also, the amount of homework that was just busy work was crazy. Then, add in the terrible behavior of her classmates that everyone felt was normal and I was like, 'Nopes!'
hwblyf
by Silver Member on May. 20, 2014 at 9:54 AM
1 mom liked this

Ok, my son was probably the one whose behavior mem was not happy with.  :)  My oldest does not fit the mold, can't really behave to their expectations, so his whole day was struggling to be "good" and failing a good many days.  In addition he is advanced, and their solution to that is that they would give him enrichment one hour a week.  !!!!!!!  For us, the stress of being in school was huge.  Some of my kids would prefer to go back, but I can't get my stress levels down about that.

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on May. 20, 2014 at 10:15 AM
1 mom liked this
My oldest was the only one to attend public school. She learns pretty fast and gets bored easily. But had very little social skills.

We fought the school for a whole 6 months and it never got better. We moved and I decided to go through k12 as I was scared to homeschool on my own. I asked at the end of the year what she wanted. She said she could go back to school. I asked her why. She said "Because that is where parents send their kids when they need a break. And I like helping the other kids learn."
kmath
by Silver Member on May. 20, 2014 at 10:30 AM
1 mom liked this

I pulled D because I am home during the day so I could be with him.  Plus he was very easily bored and I hated fighting with him to do his busywork when he already knew it.  I didn't see any reason to keep putting both of us through that.

rockinmomto2
by on May. 20, 2014 at 10:34 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm not 100% sure if I'm going to be pulling my kids out yet. I'm going to let the school year finish, and I'm going to see how/if their behavior changes over the course of the summer. I'll make my decision by the end of July. 

Mostly, it's because they're not given enough attention in the classroom. They're not learning everything they need to learn because they learn differently from the "standard". Plus, there are bullying issues. I can give them the attention they need and get them the edcuation they deserve here at home.

BellaRose17
by Member on May. 20, 2014 at 10:37 AM
1 mom liked this

We haven't started yet but (aside from completely HATING the public school) my reasons are:

1. Homeschooling provides the best possible educational experience in which both of my girls have their unique needs met and their passions nurtured in a loving, positive environment.

2. Homeschooling offers an escape from the peer pressure and stress that comes from mainstream school. They will be able to grow and mature without the negative influence of toxic children.
3. Homeschooling gives the girls a chance to embrace learning and get excited about school once again.
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on May. 20, 2014 at 10:38 AM
1 mom liked this

Well, we want a faith integrated education for our children, so public schools are really last on our list of possibilities for our children. I'll answer your question as why we homeschool instead of, say, Catholic school, if that's okay?

We chose to homeschool, instead of sending them to the local Catholic schools for some of the following reasons:

DD12 is dyslexic. The Catholic schools have no resources, as they are non-profit and only charge enough in tuition to cover their actual costs; they have no special needs resources to speak of.

We prefer an individualized education for all of our children. That simply cannot happen in Catholic schools. Also, it's our belief that Catholic schools are becoming more secular than we care for.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

JadeTigr7
by Member on May. 20, 2014 at 10:44 AM
2 moms liked this

Original reason?  Because my husband joined the army and we felt that they would not have a lot of stability to begin with, but with homeschooling they wouldn't have to adjust to new schools every 3-4 years on top of that.  They will always know where they are in it, and what's expected of them.

Since that point, the reasons have grown exponentially. 

No_Difference
by Silver Member on May. 20, 2014 at 10:46 AM
1 mom liked this

I pulled my daughter out of ps because she was being bullied by students AND staff, the staff constantly lied to us, and her K curriculum from a different school (we had moved after her K year) was identical to the 1st grade material at the school in our current district. They refused to have her do advanced work or let her skip a grade because "that wouldn't be fair to the other students who are struggling," and "that isn't our problem," says the principal.... After a semester of constant fighting, I was done with them... My little guy will never see a public school if I can help it lol. 

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on May. 20, 2014 at 10:47 AM
2 moms liked this
I felt God was asking me to fully parent my kids, that I was delegating my responsibility to strangers. I wanted to build our family bond and wanted a lifestyle of learning. I didn't want to separate learning and living.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN