Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I need opinions about 2nd grade math cirriculum

Posted by on May. 21, 2014 at 6:04 PM
  • 18 Replies

I have to make a decision about which math curriculum to use with my 2nd grade twins.  That's the only thing I have left to get for next year.  But I am having trouble deciding.  I've been looking into Horizons, Saxon, Lifepac, Math-U-See, and McRuffy.  Anyone have positives/negatives for me to think about.  Any help is greatly appreciated :)

by on May. 21, 2014 at 6:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on May. 21, 2014 at 7:31 PM
We enjoy math u see. It is hands on and easy for my 1st grader to understand.
katyq
by Member on May. 21, 2014 at 10:30 PM

I'm planning to always keep things eclectic but we homeschool purely for academic reasons so I intend to imitate the best. I'm planning to use Math in Focus for math, unless it just doesn't work for my son. It's based on the Singapore method which is in turn based on OUR old method and they produce very highly educated kids over there. :p I know it's not on the list but ?I hope this helps. Also, I don't think I've ever read a negative review of Math-U-See.

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on May. 21, 2014 at 11:28 PM
I was having a convo recently with several leaders of my hsing co-op. One was sharing with that our "main" math teachers were discussing math u see and teaching textbooks.

Tt is often considered better because you can see the break down of each problem.

However, these experienced ladies said that for college prep, TT falls a little short (in their opinion) while MUS seems to prep kids better for college math.

I had been concerned about this because we switched to MUS last year and have 100% fallen head over heels for the program.

It was nice to hear that it comes highly recommended for the upper maths as well.

However, the women I spoke with said TT is perfect for the more struggling learner..
chotovec82
by Bronze Member on May. 22, 2014 at 1:00 AM
I love Math U See. My kiddos are currently using this program. I feel that it's really great for kids.
jen2150
by Silver Member on May. 22, 2014 at 7:07 AM
I just switched from teaching textbooks to math u see and we love math u see. My only regret is not finishing sooner.
Mandallyn
by Member on May. 22, 2014 at 8:48 AM

We used Horizons math, MUS, and Brain quest full curriculum booklet (as a supplement).  MUS is good for my son because he is a tactile learner.  I like the different books because it helps to keep him from getting bored, and occasionally a different curriculum will explain a problem in a way that is easier for my son to understand than in our main book.  I plan to use MUS as our central learning material for 2nd grade math.

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on May. 22, 2014 at 9:13 AM
They're all so different, its hard to compare them, you really need to know your child's learning style. In that list alone you've got about 4 different styles. Horizons is spiral, Saxon is mastery based, MUS is good or kinestetic learners, lifepacs are purely workbook based,and I know little about mcruffey. Its extremely important to know each child's learning style.
Kerseygeek
by Member on May. 22, 2014 at 12:30 PM
I think from all my research and reading reviews I'm going with MUS. It's seems like the best for my dd and I hope will build back up her skills that she had lost in public school this year. Unless it just seems perfect I and decide I don't want to change I may switch to MIF down the road. Both are good but I think MUS is better for now. She will be a 2nd grader.
Jilectan
by Member on May. 22, 2014 at 12:52 PM

I didn't use Saxon for 2nd grade, but my DS10 is using 5/4, now, and it's pretty good.

eta: the 5/4 and beyond are a spiral method, with a lot of review built in to ensure comprehension. We're using a mastery based type with my DD (Math Mammoth) that is working well with her, but my DS hated. It depends on your child, which will work best.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on May. 22, 2014 at 12:55 PM
We also do MUS and TT.

TT is MUCH more suited for my middle DS who has a learning disability. TT is about half a year behind the "standard" grade level curriculum. It has really boosted his confidence and so we will stay with it as long as possible. I also love that it is self-grading. I admit I get lazy about grading and it is nice to not have to grade one math...lol

MUS was great for DS1. He is very independent and could watch the video, do the work and move on. DD is now in MUS Epsilon (fractions) and doing great so we will stick with it as long as it works for her.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)