Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

1st Grade Science and History

Posted by on May. 22, 2014 at 4:23 PM
  • 12 Replies

Hi All!

We are going to be starting homeschooling for the first time in June with my 6 year old who will be in 1st grade next year when we start.  I found a curriculum that I like for math and language arts but I would like to do some fun science lessons as well as getting into history with him (since that's the stuff he really seems to enjoy).  What are your favorite pics for science and history curriculum? 

Thanks for the help!

thank you

armyshooting photoplaying soccerbaseballbaby boy
Wife of a US Soldier and Mommy to 3 Wonderful Little Boys

by on May. 22, 2014 at 4:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hwblyf
by Silver Member on May. 22, 2014 at 4:49 PM

We're trying ou Real Science 4 Kids next year.  I've got a 6th, 5th, 3rd, 2nd, and K for next year, so I went with the higher level rather than starting at the elem level.  They've all been doing science experiments and reading for a long time, so I'm confident that I can tone down for the littles and the olders will have good stuff on hand, too.

For history we're using Joy Hakim's The History of US, the Story of the World, along with storie books and such, so no real curriculum per se.

AmyMamie
by Member on May. 22, 2014 at 11:38 PM

We just started 1st grade, and for science I'm using the free Magic School Bus curriculum that you can find online (it may be from Scholastic).  It has fun activities that go along with one of the episodes each week, and has 52 weeks worth of curriculum.

For history I decided to start with early American history, so I'm using History Pockets about Native Americans and the Early Colonies.  They have fun stuff to do each week also that we really enjoy.  I'm supplementing with books from the library, and a couple books I found online with activities based on life in the colonies.  After that I plan to start with the first set of Story of the World.

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on May. 23, 2014 at 12:27 AM
We love Story of the World for history.
rsrangel
by Bronze Member on May. 23, 2014 at 5:18 AM
We are using Story of the World for history, Little Passports just for fun (geography/culture), and Exploring Astronomy for science. I'm adding in some marine biology activities and field trips too because my oldest is really into that right now. We've been doing lots of history and science lately!
jen2150
by Silver Member on May. 23, 2014 at 7:15 AM
We do our own for history and science using a living book approach.
tntmom1027
by Member on May. 23, 2014 at 4:11 PM

We just started Story of the world for history(1st grade) and will be doing it over the summer. So far I like it. I checked the book out at the library and borrowed the student book, activity book and test book(which I may or may not use) from a friend. If I like it enough and don't finish it by the fall I'll buy the borrowed books(has to be back to her by fall). :) 

For science I was using Lessonpathways.com but ds wanted more hands on and experiments so I'm just doing my own lesson plans for now, this coming up week will be forensic science. :)

LostTheSlipper
by Bronze Member on May. 23, 2014 at 5:44 PM

We used Apologia (Christian) books for Elementary Science.

Precious333
by Silver Member on May. 24, 2014 at 2:03 PM
Van cleave's science experiments aee grwat. Story of the world is reallt good too! Classical conversations (our core curriculum) impliments all subjects (science, history, geography, math, english, latin and fine arts) however you will need additional math and literature (should you choose).
Precious333
by Silver Member on May. 24, 2014 at 2:04 PM
Sorry for my typos
MamaToHerRoo
by Member on May. 24, 2014 at 8:42 PM
1 mom liked this

A friend of mine used Story of the World for history for her two children (teaching the same thing to both, but with slightly different expectations since they are 2 grades apart).  They absolutely loved it, and did a lot of the hands on projects.

For science what about Science4Us (http://www.science4us.com/homeschool)?  It is an online curriculum specifically designed for K-2nd graders.  Lots of lessons available, in addition to printable worksheets, and hands on experiments.  We had the opportunity to try it even though my daughter was a little old for it when we had the opportunity she still said it was fun and easy to follow.  She even said she wished we had Science4Us when she was in K-2nd.  It has gotten some really nice reviews. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)