Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What was your child's biggest achievement this year?

Posted by on May. 22, 2014 at 6:03 PM
  • 18 Replies

????

Theo learned to write his name and how to use scissors. Bonus is that he enjoyed both immensely.

He will be five in July and while I know he knows stuff, he is not much of a *show-er* so while these things may seem small to someone else, they're a pretty big deal 'round these parts. He has made that step over into the 'interested' in learning phase. YAY!

by on May. 22, 2014 at 6:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mweddle
by Member on May. 22, 2014 at 6:09 PM

My daughter went from not being able to read ANY words (except the sight word "see") to being able to read a WHOLE BOOK to me!  I was so proud.  I could seriously cry.

katyq
by Member on May. 22, 2014 at 6:45 PM

We started homeschooling nearly 6 months ago and started from essentially no knowledge to him now knowing his alphabet from memory, upper and lowercase and we are steadily working our way up to 100 woohoo! I cant believe how much my baby boy has grown -_-

No_Difference
by Silver Member on May. 22, 2014 at 6:53 PM

Riley took the initiative to read on his own. He may have given me a great deal of grief at the beginning, but he was actually learning on his own. Now he takes his reading "lessons" more seriously lol. (now maybe next year we can work on him cutting out whining with spelling???lol...he's awesome at it, but he hates doing it!) 
Jamie's reading has improved, but her biggest accomplishment is cutting down the time it takes for her to get her assignments done. At the beginning of the year, we would go for over 8 hrs to do the simplest of assignments, to being done in about 2 with everything!  

hwblyf
by Silver Member on May. 22, 2014 at 7:36 PM

Jack (5.5) is reading.  Not great, but he's sounding things out and is soooo proud of himself.

Noah (9.5) is coming around to homeschooling and the idea that learning doesn't have to be sitting on your butt and going through books.  We're still working on that, but he's coming around...

Gabriel (11) is feeling more comfortable and acceptable.  He still is wound tight about being in a school (we're doing a one day a week charter next year), and even scouts is difficult for him, but he is SO MUCH BETTER.

Nathan's (almost 7) accomplishments revolve mostly around minecraft right now.  And his incessant chatter about it.  :)

K has done wonders in reading and math.  She was ahead when we pulled her, though, so I'm not sure if I got her where she could go, but there you have it.  :)

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on May. 22, 2014 at 8:02 PM

Zave is multiplying huge numbers (often in his head!).

Levi is reading!!  And he's enjoying reading!

Q read his first book.  He turned 5 in December.  He is also finally figuring out the concepts of yesterday and tomorrow!  

Chasing3
by Bronze Member on May. 26, 2014 at 8:02 AM
1 mom liked this

becoming happy! Having his personality and confidence come out!

coala
by Silver Member on May. 26, 2014 at 11:31 AM
1 mom liked this

My oldest found her self confidence....she lost is somewhere along the way.

My youngest's biggest accomplishment was learning to ride a bike.

Neither of these are technically academic, but they are HUGE things for us like your Cole learning to write his name.

mem82
by Platinum Member on May. 26, 2014 at 11:54 AM
Yay for all the wins!
kmath
by Silver Member on May. 26, 2014 at 9:08 PM

D is writing his own book, which is huge because he hates anything to do with writing.  While he is making it online he had to do a lot of research for it and all of that required writing.  He also has read voluntarily a couple of times lately!

mommyneedssleep
by on May. 26, 2014 at 9:18 PM
My oldest made it through 11th grade with all a's and b's. She was sick her entire first semester and missed almost 4 months of school. We decided online school and she doubled up on classes and came out wonderfully.
My 9 year old made gifted math for next year and came out ahead in reading. He was a little behind at the beginning of the school year. We changed schools and I am so happy we did!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN