Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What was your child's biggest achievement this year?

Posted by   + Show Post

????

Theo learned to write his name and how to use scissors. Bonus is that he enjoyed both immensely.

He will be five in July and while I know he knows stuff, he is not much of a *show-er* so while these things may seem small to someone else, they're a pretty big deal 'round these parts. He has made that step over into the 'interested' in learning phase. YAY!

by on May. 22, 2014 at 6:03 PM
Replies (11-18):
Molimomma
by Member on May. 26, 2014 at 10:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Honestly? Potty training. He's 4 yrs. 5 mos. and I was more more thrilled, excited and proud of that than when he learned all his letters or how to write his name(which he could do a year ago). I never in my wildest dreams thought potty training would be the skill I was most proud of in PreK but it is what it is and the very BEST part was hearing HIM say, "I am so proud of me!" I teared up a little. 

GodsAmiga
by Member on May. 27, 2014 at 3:49 AM
1 mom liked this

My daughter (5) learned how to read. :-) She went from not knowing any words and only one sound per letter to reading 2nd grade level books. It has made me relax about homeschooling. That was my test for myself. I didn't know if I could do it and was especially concerned over teaching my kids how to read (I have never thought of myself as a good teacher) but I did not want her anywhere near the school here. I decided kindergarten was a good year to try it out. :-) My 4 year old wants to learn how to read now so we will do reading lessons either this summer or next school year and I feel way more comfortable with it now. *breathes sigh of relief*

bcogoli
by Member on May. 27, 2014 at 6:36 AM

I love it when kids are proud of themselves. I am so happy for you all!!!

Quoting Molimomma:

Honestly? Potty training. He's 4 yrs. 5 mos. and I was more more thrilled, excited and proud of that than when he learned all his letters or how to write his name(which he could do a year ago). I never in my wildest dreams thought potty training would be the skill I was most proud of in PreK but it is what it is and the very BEST part was hearing HIM say, "I am so proud of me!" I teared up a little. 

chotovec82
by Bronze Member on May. 27, 2014 at 9:09 AM
I think my second graders biggest achievement this year was going up 3 grade levels in reading.

My kindergarteners biggest achievement was learning how to read.
mommi2bka
by New Member on May. 31, 2014 at 12:50 PM

My son went to PS through the 4th grade.  He was held back in 1st grade and despite ample parental involvement he was really struggling and was being put in special education pullouts.  We started used a virtual charter school at home 5th-6thand for this year, his 7th grade year, I decided to do it my way and truly independently homeschool him.  We had him tested to see if we were on track (although his writing alone testifies we found the right setting for him) and he test at post-highschool level in almost every subject (except spelling and vocabulary- better but always a struggle).  It was a HUGE relief to see this kid who almost got "left behind" in PS soar to new heights!

Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on May. 31, 2014 at 3:58 PM
For my 6 year old it was learning to read and also he had gains in his language. He went from being on a 3.5 year old level to a 5.5 year old level in 8 months. His speech therapist attributes the big gain to homeschooling

For my 3 year old it's that he has developed into an independent free thinker who is very creative.
julesjerry
by Bronze Member on Jun. 3, 2014 at 7:51 AM

We read our first chapter book. and one biography.

JKronrod
by Bronze Member on Jun. 3, 2014 at 2:04 PM

Our middle one (just turned 15) sat for both the AP Spanish Language and AP Music Theory tests -- and he got an A+ from his outside teacher in Spanish Language.  Since neither my husband nor I speak Spanish it was truly a major achievement! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)