Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

The other side of the coin: Do you have any failures this year?

Posted by on May. 22, 2014 at 6:06 PM
  • 14 Replies

I'm not one to say a child 'failed' at something, but for lack of a better term *shrug*. Was there anything you were sure your kiddo would conquer this year and didn't? Was there something that just did not stick? Do you have a game plan for next year to address this issue?

by on May. 22, 2014 at 6:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mweddle
by Member on May. 22, 2014 at 6:10 PM

I so wanted to be finished with Alpha by the end of this school year but we are only halfway.   I guess we will just keep on trucking.  lol

No_Difference
by Silver Member on May. 22, 2014 at 7:00 PM

With Jamie its still reading. I am at my wits-end with getting her to actually enjoy reading and becoming a better reader. There were moments where it looked like she liked it, and the next week we would be at ground zero again. I have tried just about everything under the sun with improving her reading and nothing is working with her long term. :/  When we work on spelling, her spelling is top notch. Spelling during other assignments - forget it. 

With Riley, I was really hoping we'd get through his math book... Granted, we started the year halfway through the Primer, finished that and are halfway through Alpha so I shouldn't complain, because he did techinically did do 30 chapters...  

hwblyf
by Silver Member on May. 22, 2014 at 7:39 PM

We didn't work as hard on Latin as I think we probably should have, but that segues into my other problem...organizing my time and efforts.  I do have a game plan to change that for next year....be more organized!  Get a schedule, plan more.....better....effectively.....lesson plans.  I had plans, but maybe not specific lesson plans.  I want to go in with a unit truly planned, not just an idea of what they should learn.  Oi, I'm so not this person.....

katyq
by Member on May. 22, 2014 at 7:45 PM

I cannot for the life of me get him to correctly hold a pencil or a pair of scissors , he's nearly four (first week of June). It's not a big deal but one of those little things that for no apparent reason causes frustration. -_-

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on May. 22, 2014 at 7:57 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Mweddle:

I so wanted to be finished with Alpha by the end of this school year but we are only halfway.   I guess we will just keep on trucking.  lol

Thank you!  I'm feeling better now!  We only made it to lesson 18.  

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on May. 22, 2014 at 7:59 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting katyq:

I cannot for the life of me get him to correctly hold a pencil or a pair of scissors , he's nearly four (first week of June). It's not a big deal but one of those little things that for no apparent reason causes frustration. -_-

Try this:  Rip a facial tissue in half, fold it up until it fits comfortably under the pinky and ring finger of the dominant hand, then have him grasp the pencil.  I'm not sure why it works, but it usually trains the hand to hold the pencil apropriately.  Good luck!

SuperMommy408
by Tamara on May. 22, 2014 at 8:02 PM
It's reading with my just turned 7 yr old, she's getting it slowly. I thought she would be a little further than she is. I don't really have a game plan, I just need to stick to helping her to read and do it in a daily basis.
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on May. 23, 2014 at 1:09 AM
My 7 year old and her math. My 5 year old still can not read Danny and the dinosaur by himself like he wanted.

We are working all summer with my dd. My son will continue learning through practice over the summer then we will pick up curriculum again when school starts.
craftyzenmom
by Member on May. 23, 2014 at 10:31 AM
1 mom liked this

We "failed" about 750 times this year at various tasks, math problems, science experiments, wrote some pretty bad poetry... The biggest lesson I learned in the past year is the importance of failure. I always thought of it as a negative and yet it's actually the opposite. In order for learning to occur, for brain connections to be made, they have to fail at the task, sometimes lots of times then figure out how to do it their way. This is why different learning styles are so important and why I couldn't tie my shoes until second grade. I only wish I had known this 5 years ago and made failure a safer experience.

Mandallyn
by Member on May. 23, 2014 at 2:00 PM
Writing. My ods hates writing. We bought handwriting without tears, and it's helped a little, but he still takes like 40 minutes to complete ONE page in his book. That's the only thing I would say he did not master this year.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)