Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Math curriculum....

Posted by on May. 23, 2014 at 11:47 PM
  • 10 Replies

I am a few years away from needing a math curriculm but I was wondering....

I have heard great things about the Alpha and Omega math programs...but they are said to be christian based (I am not religous and would prefer a secular based program) ....how is a math curriculm christian based? vs secular?

This may be a really stupid question...but the thought crossed my mind.  

by on May. 23, 2014 at 11:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on May. 23, 2014 at 11:57 PM
I have no clue to me math is not religious.

We use Math U See and teaching textbooks.
Chasing3
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2014 at 1:18 AM

i use MathUSee and while it's a Christian publisher, I haven't come across anything in Alpha, Beta or Gamma that seemed at all religious or proselytizing in anyway.

kitkat316
by Member on May. 24, 2014 at 1:18 AM

Quoting debramommyof4: I have no clue to me math is not religious. We use Math U See and teaching textbooks.

Thats what I was thinking. I just wondered if others had an idea. Do you like Math U See? I am playing around with getting that one. 

kitkat316
by Member on May. 24, 2014 at 1:19 AM

Quoting Chasing3:

i use MathUSee and while it's a Christian publisher, I haven't come across anything in Alpha, Beta or Gamma that seemed at all religious or proselytizing in anyway.

Ok. Thank you. That's what I was wondering. I figured the religous aspects would come out more in other subjects such as science or history. 

Kerseygeek
by Member on May. 26, 2014 at 9:07 AM
I think if you were to come across any religion in a math program it would be in the wording of math problems. Most likely word problems would be my guess. I'm sure the more heavily religious the publisher the more likely it is but so far I haven't seen anything like that in my search. I don't consider the programs that would possibly be like that anyway so I can't be sure. I'm considering the math u see program and I didn't see anything religious so far. We're secular as well.
RCHOUDH
by Member on May. 26, 2014 at 11:27 AM

Yeah I'm not sure how a math curriculum could be Christian-based. For myself and my family, we use the Singapore Math Curriculum.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on May. 27, 2014 at 9:41 AM

A friend of mine uses a religious curiculum (I'm not sure which one) but the way her son learned to count to 100 was by counting the sheep from the Bible story.  There were constantly references to the Bible (skip counting 2's was the Ark, word problems were about the widow's lost coins etc.) It was so distracting IMO like they were reaching.

We use Math U See and have never seen a religious reference like that.

mommi2bka
by New Member on May. 28, 2014 at 9:48 AM
1 mom liked this
We use a lot of religious based curriculum but math wouldn't be one and I can't see a big need. We use teaching textbooks which starts at 3rd grade (but we ended up using it for my 2nd grader). It may be too old right now and it is pricier but its phenomenonal. It teaches so that all three of my very different learners get it, love it, and retain it (there is continuing review while adding on). It takes a huge load off me.
skeletor1017
by Member on May. 28, 2014 at 6:28 PM

I'll be using Horizons math and they have a handful of bible passages, as decoration, in the 5th grade workbook. The 1st grade workbook only had this

and a picture of a couple of crosses. So yeah, math isn't too religious.

kitkat316
by Member on May. 28, 2014 at 9:27 PM

Quoting skeletor1017:

I'll be using Horizons math and they have a handful of bible passages, as decoration, in the 5th grade workbook. The 1st grade workbook only had this

and a picture of a couple of crosses. So yeah, math isn't too religious.

I figured it would be simple like that. Thank you. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)