Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

my kids were spotted....

Posted by on May. 25, 2014 at 11:50 AM
  • 9 Replies
As homeschoolers. The boys just found a neighbor kid their age that they like to play with on weekends. They ride bikes and scooters in the alley. Since i have three and a baby and one is a 3yr old, i keep an eye out in the alley. So, yesterday they were playing and there was the mom and a few other neighbors hanging out. One lady was very strange, i find out later she was probablt drunk (they were bbqing and drinking beer). My oldest was having some concersations with her about ipads and spiders. Well, when we left, dh came home and she said "your kids are homeschoolef, huh?" I dont know why she thought that, i told dh, maybe because they were comfortable having conversations with adults lol. Who knows.
by on May. 25, 2014 at 11:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on May. 25, 2014 at 10:24 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't know unless we are out early no one notices that we are homeschoolers.
SarahinWA
by Member on May. 29, 2014 at 12:42 AM
I can often spot homeschooled kids - not because they are awkward, but because (as you suggested) they are comfortable conversing with adults. They can even (gasp) make eye contact.

edited to add - That sounded rather obnoxious of me. There are kids who are otherwise educated who can talk to adults. When I was hiring teenagers, though, it always frustrated me how many applicants wouldn't look at me when interviewing, etc.
Precious333
by Julia on May. 29, 2014 at 10:57 AM
You know, i was wondering about those teenage years. My sister is homeschooled, has been all her life, and is now 14, almost 15, and seems to have become more intraverted, even with me, her sister. It may be the stage she is in, or personality, but she seems very in a shell. I guess I didnt expect that so much from a person who is homeschooled.

Quoting SarahinWA: I can often spot homeschooled kids - not because they are awkward, but because (as you suggested) they are comfortable conversing with adults. They can even (gasp) make eye contact.

edited to add - That sounded rather obnoxious of me. There are kids who are otherwise educated who can talk to adults. When I was hiring teenagers, though, it always frustrated me how many applicants wouldn't look at me when interviewing, etc.
Knightquester
by Bronze Member on May. 29, 2014 at 11:27 AM
1 mom liked this

If your children play with theirs then the talk of school or what they do during the week more than likely has come up between the kids and if the kid knows more than likely they share that information with the parent.

STVUstudent
by on May. 29, 2014 at 11:52 AM

Well, if the other kid is their age, one of the adults (or the kid) may have asked where they went to school, to which the natural reply would be "we are homeschooled".

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on May. 29, 2014 at 11:55 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree... not odd at all. Most kids kow that all the kids in one area tend to go to the same school. They probably realised your kids aren't there and asked.

Precious333
by Julia on May. 29, 2014 at 12:53 PM

It was on a weekend. I bet she asked where my kids went to school.

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

I agree... not odd at all. Most kids kow that all the kids in one area tend to go to the same school. They probably realised your kids aren't there and asked.

sweetfox3
by Member on May. 29, 2014 at 10:24 PM

Often, the way I spot other homeschoolers is that they are school-aged children out during school hours.  Of course, at this time of year, they may have just PCS'd (moved) in from another post where their school year had already ended.

sweetfox3
by Member on Jun. 4, 2014 at 10:10 PM

But, my child got outed as a homeschooler today.  DH likes to go to Starbucks to work and someone a table over saw DD and noticed that she had been there the last several times they had also been there, with her lessons.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN