Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

child and social network sites

Posted by on May. 25, 2014 at 8:19 PM
  • 10 Replies
At what age will you, or did you, let your child join a social networking site?
by on May. 25, 2014 at 8:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bobcatridge
by Member on May. 25, 2014 at 11:08 PM
We allowed my daughter to have an Instagram account when she was 12 but she is not allowed to post selfies or give personal information. We also monitored her activities. We realized she was using instagram to share her artwork which we thought was great. At 13 we allowed her to get a deviant art account. She shares her art. We also monitor her activity on this site also. That is it - all she wants to do is share her artwork.
JadeTigr7
by Member on May. 25, 2014 at 11:13 PM

Not until 13 at the very least.

hwblyf
by Silver Member on May. 26, 2014 at 8:37 AM

That is so awesome.  You hear all these terrifying incidents, it's nice to have a genuine purpose for kids and these accounts.  :)

Quoting Bobcatridge: We allowed my daughter to have an Instagram account when she was 12 but she is not allowed to post selfies or give personal information. We also monitored her activities. We realized she was using instagram to share her artwork which we thought was great. At 13 we allowed her to get a deviant art account. She shares her art. We also monitor her activity on this site also. That is it - all she wants to do is share her artwork.

Serendipitous1
by on May. 26, 2014 at 8:58 AM
Our DD was allowed to join FB with a signed contract between us with the rules at age 14. We have always talked to our children about internet safety, sharing too much information - how it can effect their futures and that once you post something it does not go away. Our DD, now 15 is now on FB, Instagram, (does not use much as she notices these are time eaters) Snapchat, and Kik. We monitor her. Our DS 22 is on FB, Instagram both rarely. They prefer to text or talk to their friends.
Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on May. 26, 2014 at 12:47 PM
My dd was on sites o didn't even know existed till a concerned friend clued me in. Snapchat,kik,things like that. She is clearly more tech savvy than I am. After months of tech restriction,she's now only allowed Facebook under supervision. She's 13.
bether89
by Bronze Member on May. 26, 2014 at 2:24 PM

My kids are 5 and 11, but they are not on any social networking sites.  Maybe the older one will when he 13 or 14.

irishstarz
by New Member on May. 26, 2014 at 2:36 PM
Absolutely not. My Son will be seven soon, but He will not be allowed to have any social networking accounts until He's old enough and/or responsible enough. Too many kids are let loose online, some at too early of an age, and their level of responsibility proves they shouldn't be.
Mommynay2
by Bronze Member on May. 26, 2014 at 5:06 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with you waiting, my niece announced on Facebook she was alone, at my sister's house taking care of her kids. Samantha is 15 and my niece Hannah is 8 and Caleb is 4. That  worried me enough to postpone letting my kids on them.

Quoting irishstarz: Absolutely not. My Son will be seven soon, but He will not be allowed to have any social networking accounts until He's old enough and/or responsible enough. Too many kids are let loose online, some at too early of an age, and their level of responsibility proves they shouldn't be.

LostTheSlipper
by Bronze Member on May. 27, 2014 at 12:26 AM

Ideally 18, but if we must....16.

DS was actually bringing up about Facebook and Instagram because when he goes to these church functions EVERYONE has a phone and is on these sites! DS (10) is the youngest one there (no phone), but this is a group for Middle Schoolers!! I told him that Facebook requires kids to be 13 or 14 and I looked up Instagram the other night and that's 13 too! He says most of these kids are NOT that old. I'm surprised any parents allow their kids on this stuff, more or less Christian parents.

mem82
by Platinum Member on May. 28, 2014 at 8:20 AM
Missie got a fb account just the other day on her 13th birthday. We monitor it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)