Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Annoyed and overwhelmed... Long Vent

Posted by on May. 25, 2014 at 11:52 PM
  • 10 Replies
So my DH and I had my DS in private school last year for pre-k and K prep. We recently moved and are now having to decide on HSing, private or public school for K.

I look into private school for my area and we are looking at $1000k a month base. Which is insane.

I go to enroll him in PS and they tell me there is no orientation, and no tours available. They show up first day of class as 1 of 30 and jump right in. AND when I went to get paperwork the lady told me "I better hurry up" while filling out the piles of papers and some little shit walks up to my boy and gets within an inch of his face and burps. And what does his mom do?! Nothing!! Big surprise. And way to get my son excited to go here.

And final option is HSing. I have my DS who's 5, and DS who's 2.5. And I dont know where to start. I have been having major anxiety issues and leaving the house alone with my kids isn't really something I can do at the moment, but they can't be home all day either. I joined a HSing meetup group but haven't gone yet. I've researched a bunch of options on curriculum, but I still feel overwhelmed and under qualified to do this.

I HATED school from a young age. I was taunted and laughed at by kids and teachers because I wasn't good at studying, and reading aloud. Taking tests were a nightmare even though I knew the info. And I don't want that for my kid.

on top of that, my DS is such a sensitive guy. He has major attachment issues because the loss of a very close relative. And I just don't have it in me to make him stay and cry all day at school. He has a "trial day" this week at a private school and I know he's going to cry. And I hate that I'm looked at like I'm crazy for not wanting him to go through that unnecessary pain. I don't want him to have a negative association with learning.

I'm sorry for the long rambling vent. I just feel like I want to HS, but I feel like I don't have the book smarts and the backbone to tell people around me to mind their own business...

Any tips, advice, starting points, stories about how it was when you started would be appreciated! Thanks
by on May. 25, 2014 at 11:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on May. 26, 2014 at 5:58 AM
1 mom liked this
I just started hsing this past year, with 5th and 6th graders. I didn't have the backbone at first to stick up for our decision, it was really hard when people (especially people close to us like my mil) didn't agree and questioned it out loud. Although I had a million reasons for pulling them and choosing to HS, it was really hard to put those reasons into words when I felt cornered about it. I have gotten better and more confident about this. Just the other night mil suggested we not HS again next year and I took her opinion to heart, but I also explained how we felt about it and what I am planning to do next year to make it even better.

I felt ok education wise because I worked in a school and have a degree and was working on my MEd...however, after doing this and meeting some other moms that do it, I certainly do not think a degree or book smarts are required. Honestly, if you choose to HS for the main reason of doing what's best for your kids, then most likely you will do what's best for your kids. As they get older and subjects get harder, you can do a co op, online classes, or find tutors. You can also find curriculum on DVD to teach your child if he wants to learn something you don't feel confident teaching.

There are soooo many choices for curriculum. My advice for K, is don't buy one. You can do unit studies, practice reading, counting, doing math in real life, play outside, etc. I wish I had started in K with my kids, I felt like I was always hsing when they were little anyway, they certainly didn't learn most things at school in pre k and k. Most 5 yo boys don't want to sit and do work anyways so you just get creative with how they learn just by playing. While he learns in k just while playing, you can research more curriculum and get comfortable with the idea for elementary school (which can still be very easy and inexpensive to put together). There are so many resources for the younger grades.

In short, you can do this. If you think it's best for your DS, then you will be great for him. And that's all you need to say when people question it, or just say "my kid, my decision"...that's really the bottom line.
coala
by Silver Member on May. 26, 2014 at 11:45 AM

You have to do what is best for your family.....first and formost.  Once you decide what that is, then start looking into other things.  If you decide that homeschooling is what you need to do, then look into the laws for your state.  The next step would be to take a step back and let him learn through life with his K year.  There is SO much that you can learn and do without a curriculum.  While you are taking the step back for his education you can start researching methods, and then curriculum.

We had it easy and found the perfect fit for our family on our first try.  My kids LOVE it, but it isn't for every family.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

NewMom333
by New Member on May. 26, 2014 at 11:45 PM
Thank you for reading and letting me know what you guys did. And what's funny is I have a bachelors degree. So I know that I can teach him at least K work, right? Hahahaa. And I'll have to get over caring what other people say or think. Its harder to do then i thought it would be though. And I guess just jumping in is the best way to start. Ill probably start over summer and see what happens
pwrpffgurl
by New Member on May. 27, 2014 at 11:57 AM

I would say if you like to read check out some books at your local library, I just recently did that and it made me feel better about choosing to homeschool my daughter. I was begining to think I was not cut out to homeschoool my child, but after reading "so your thinking about homeschooling" by Lisa Whelchel, it helped me get a better understanding of where to start and how I can choose which method that will work for us. Good luck and I hope it works out for your family.

mem82
by Platinum Member on May. 27, 2014 at 12:46 PM

Just take a deep breath and start with Kinder. you cant completely screw that up, right? LOL Next year, do the same thing. Before you know it, you'll be a pro. 8)

PS I have severe anxiety and define antisocial. Homeschooling has actually made it better for me because I forced myself to go out for my kids. It's been a real lifesaver.

oahoah
by Member on May. 27, 2014 at 4:40 PM

We are finishing up our 3rd year and it has gotten so much easier and more enjoyable for all of us. I used to worry that I wasn't good enough to teach my kids either or that they wouldn't have enough social interaction, used to worry about a lot of stuff. A lot of it's just trial & error. I've had anxiety issues forever and as I've gotten older have realized I get easily overwhelmed in some social settings (loud, bright, etc;) but as mem82 mentioned, I have forced myself out at certain times, putting my kids needs ahead of mine. I have also been careful to balance it and explain to them that there are a lot of things available to do but that doesn't mean we have to do it all. We will usually talk about things and I will tell them "if we do this, we can't do that".  I also explain that I have anxiety and sometimes things are too overwhelming and they are pretty understanding for being young (at least my older boys who are 9 & 7, my youngest is 4). 

To become confident at something it takes a little bit of "pretending" at first, at least it has for me; another thing that helped me a lot was joining a local moms group of others who homeschool, found some great mentors in the group and made friends with others just starting out like I was. 

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on May. 27, 2014 at 5:31 PM
I wouldn't have even guessed this was a burden you shared, mem.... you seem so together and confident as a mom and homeschooler here.

OP... I also deal with anxiety and those kind of issues. I have been hsing for 4 yrs and love it. I also enjoy our clubs and groups.

Quoting mem82:

Just take a deep breath and start with Kinder. you cant completely screw that up, right? LOL Next year, do the same thing. Before you know it, you'll be a pro. 8)

PS I have severe anxiety and define antisocial. Homeschooling has actually made it better for me because I forced myself to go out for my kids. It's been a real lifesaver.

NewMom333
by New Member on May. 27, 2014 at 7:38 PM
Thank you all again! It's very reassuring to know I'm not alone in my fears and doubts. Ill definitely check out some books in hopes it will raise my confidence :) And I guess I will venture out to meet up with the other homeschoolers around us.
mommi2bka
by New Member on May. 28, 2014 at 9:41 AM
I never thought I could or would homeschool but I ended up kind of where you were. My oldest went to public school through 4th and hated school, reading, etc and was miserable. I had to do something and the other 2 were starting school also. One year of kindergarten of my very ambitious daughter showed me she was going to be held below potential. We started with Connections Academy (public virtual charter school) which was awesome and may be another option if your state provides them. It is at home, structured, you have teachers to call and they give online lessons but it isn't on the computer all day either. We moved and it wasn't in the new state yet but they had the K12 program (another virtual charter program). It didn't work for us the way Connections had but now I had the confidence to branch out on my own. We use mostly Timberdoodle curriculum (they dont have their own but hand pick what they feel makes the best curriculum and tell you how to implement it). My oldest is now ending 7th grade and has amazed my husband and I with his growth (educationally) and other 2 are thriving also. It was the best decision we ever made and they LOVE it. I went to a similar meeting and it was very very helpful so I encourage you to go and hope you find it helpful also. Good luck and trust your instincts because only you have them tuned to your very child.
mem82
by Platinum Member on May. 28, 2014 at 11:31 AM
Aw, thanks. I have really made some head way in the past few years. I've struggled most of my life with severe anxiety. Some days leaving the house, or actually talking to the cashier is just too much. My first full blown panic attack was in second grade. 8(

Quoting KrissyKC: I wouldn't have even guessed this was a burden you shared, mem.... you seem so together and confident as a mom and homeschooler here.

OP... I also deal with anxiety and those kind of issues. I have been hsing for 4 yrs and love it. I also enjoy our clubs and groups.

Quoting mem82:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)