Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How Many Subjects?

Posted by on May. 26, 2014 at 12:02 AM
  • 23 Replies

How many of your chosen subjects do you teach per day?

I have 10 subjects we will be learning about and I'm thinking that 10 subjects stuffed into one day would be a bit exhausting...

How do you spread out your subjects through the day/week? 

by on May. 26, 2014 at 12:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
flprincessmom
by New Member on May. 26, 2014 at 12:06 AM
We do just the core subjects every day ( language arts, math, science, & social studies). My dd will be in 3rd in the fall, it works out to be about 4 hours a day...
katyq
by Member on May. 26, 2014 at 1:33 AM

I've read suggestions along the lines of doing core 4 days a week and leaving one day for the others. 

JadeTigr7
by Member on May. 26, 2014 at 1:59 AM

The most I have are 7 subjects in a day.  With only 2-3 subjects that would take a longer time (45 min or so) to do 

No_Difference
by Silver Member on May. 26, 2014 at 6:33 AM

I looked at the curriculum's suggested schedule if it had one, or how many chapters it had, and what we'd most likely get through during a week. This past year our schedule looked something like this:
 Math: Everyday
Reading: Everyday
Handwriting: Everyday (only took 5 minutes)
Writing: Week 1, everyday, Week 2, Monday - Thursday
Science: Week 2, Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Lab Tuesday; Week 2 JUST MWF
History: Tuesday & Thursday for the readings, and sometimes Fridays for tests, MWF for projects if there were any. After we finished Science and were dragging in history, we bumped it up to everyday until we caught up, and then it took MWF
Spelling :Everyday
Art & Foreign Languages: alternated every other day 
Fridays typically ended up being test days for reading, math, history, and science. Monday was our most crazy day, but we got the bulk of it out of the way and had a pretty smooth week.  

coala
by Silver Member on May. 26, 2014 at 11:40 AM

Daily we have Bible, reading, Phonics/Language/Spelling, Arithmetic and Writting.  Weekly we have geography, science, health/safety/manners (2) (for these subjects it is done is 18 week segments), art (1), and music (2)

Precious333
by Silver Member on May. 26, 2014 at 11:49 AM
Daily we do bible, reading, math, piano and cc review games (covers all core subjects)

We add through the week we do science, history, fine art projects, spanish, sports, writing and other projects.
RCHOUDH
by Member on May. 26, 2014 at 11:52 AM
1 mom liked this

My kids are in elementary school, so I teach 5 subjects to them each (Math, English, Social Studies, Science, and Foreign Language). Other than SS and Sci, I teach the other subjects every day. With SS and Sci I teach on alternate days (3 days per week for Science, 2 days for SS).

NYCitymomx3
by Bronze Member on May. 26, 2014 at 12:33 PM

We do 6-7 formal subjects each week (3-4 per day).   Math and Spanish are daily.  Literature, Poetry, History, Science, & Geography are done once a week each.  Everything else (Writing, Health, PE, Technology, Religion, etc) are also covered, but informally and more via ds's interests.  

Formal instruction takes us less than 2 hours per day.  The rest of the time is spent on ds's interests (with me facilitating in every way I can), homeschool group classes, field trips, and home ec stuff (cooking, personal finance, nutrition, exercise, home repair, etc).

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on May. 26, 2014 at 12:42 PM
We do 4, math,science,history,and language arts. We're done by noon-ish. If I may ask, what 10 subjects are you teaching?
CowgirlMama0508
by Tasha on May. 26, 2014 at 1:00 PM
We do bible, math, grammar, reading, writing and spelling everyday. We do geography m & w. Science t & thur. Art/music on fridays.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)