Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

New to homeschooling and a bit overwhelmed

Posted by on May. 26, 2014 at 12:07 PM
  • 2 Replies
First off, my keyboard on my new phone is small, so I'm going to apologize now for all typos. Lol.

For medical reasons, I'm pulling my oldest daughter out of her school. Her health issues make her miss 2-3 days a week of school.

Education has always been one of my top concerns with ny kids and I think I've over reasearche'd homeschool at this point, because boy am I overwhelmed, with no idea what to do.

She'll be going into first grade next year. I wanted to find a curriculum for all subjects until I get my footing, but I'm noticing she knows most first grade curriculum I've found. But then I worry, second grade would be too far of a jump for her. So I'm not sure if I should get the first grade, knowing we'll be reviewing most of the material, just to make sure she's prepared, or go ahead with the second? Cost is a factor in that decision I'll admit, because I'm a single mom (though her sister is 15 months younger than her and I figure I can reuse the curriculum).

I've been looking at building my own curriculum and have been going over her projects/report cards from school to get any idea of what should be taught next. But at the same time, I'm not sure what the text steps typically are in each subject.

Any help for me? I obviously have no idea what I'm doing! lol.
by on May. 26, 2014 at 12:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on May. 26, 2014 at 12:46 PM
How about allinonehomescool.com? Or lessonpathways.com for a place to start. They are both free and can take you to 5th grade or all the way through if you want. Once you get a sense of how to do things and get going I am sure you will take off and make it your own.
Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on May. 26, 2014 at 1:20 PM

Here are my standard tips which I wrote for homeschooling teens but most applies to any age.

1. Look up your state laws. Make sure you are in compliance. I like this site rather than HSLDA

http://homeschooling.gomilpitas.com/directory/Legalities.htm

2. Decide what your mutual goals for the future of your student are, high school degree, GED, college and so on.

3. Find out your teen's best learning styles. I'd use POC4U to aide this.

http://www.edudps.com/poc4u.html

4. Research ways to do an education along with your teen. I recommend The Teenage Liberation Handbook.

5. Pick out curriculum (if any)  WITH your teen. I do not recommend buying a full curriculum the first year. It tends to lead to frustration and a waste of money.

6. Be flexible, expect change.

7. Locate local groups and resources.

8. Don't forget to make it fun, relax now and then, just enjoy each other.

9. Be sure to keep your student in touch with any friends they really want to spend time with and which you do not feel are a really bad influence.

And finally, relax, relax, relax. The very best thing you can do is de-school. Let your students find what their are passions and pursue them.

I have one that has won a four year academic scholarship and one that has won a renewable athletic scholarship. That's only my student athlete's first college visit and offer. There are more offers to come.

Stressing over making your child learn or doing what the public or private schools are doing or doing enough won't help you or them. I wish someone had told me that when I began and that I could have wrapped my head around it and believed it.

Love them. Like them. Trust them. Support their dreams even when you don't like or understand what they are. This is the best gift you can give anyone. It's also a gift that will allow them to do things that will impress you over the years.

BD

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN