Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Are you and your significant other on the same page?

Posted by on May. 28, 2014 at 1:14 PM
  • 19 Replies

When it comes to your kids education, how you school and even curriculum, are you and your significant other on the same page?

How much input does your significant other have in how you homeschool?

by on May. 28, 2014 at 1:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on May. 28, 2014 at 1:18 PM

You betcha.

He doesn't give much input in the curriculum I choose, other than to act as a sounding board (and right around this time of year, he kindly tells me to knock off and stop second guessing myself when I try to talk his ear off about curriculum, lol!).

We are on the same page about their education, and about implementation (we both preference a more rigorous, traditiionally scholastic method; more of a "Catholic school at home" gig).

He has just as much input as I do, about the children and their education. The children are no more *mine* than they are *his*.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Chasing3
by Bronze Member on May. 28, 2014 at 1:52 PM

He pretty much trusts that whatever I decide will be fine. I do all the "work" involved with homeschooling.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on May. 28, 2014 at 2:03 PM

I'm not even sure how to answer this.  Mostly, I make the curriculum choices and the day-to-day educational decisions.  BUT DH was not on board with the more unschooling approach I took with science this year.  Then we implemented it and he saw exactly what I had in mind.  He did a full 180 and completely backs the choices now.  If he had disagreed with it, we had a back-up curriculum picked out and ready to go.  

Typically my hubby likes a game-plan.  He likes to know what we'll be doing next week and next month.  My kids however, learn best when they are interested in a topic.  Hubby has realized that this is their education and needs to meet their needs more than his needs.  It took some time for him to get there, and to see that they are more than capable of stepping up and leading.

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on May. 28, 2014 at 2:13 PM
He was the one who encouraged me to do it in the first place. His words were something to the effect of "no child of mine will ever end up in that cesspool(public school)" lol. Beyond that,its all on me. His contribution consists of him DVRing a program he thinks we might be able to use for science or history.
skeletor1017
by on May. 28, 2014 at 6:07 PM

I make virtually all the decisions when it comes to the curriculums and day to day stuff. As long as the kids are happy and learning then he is happy. 

Molimomma
by Bronze Member on May. 28, 2014 at 6:20 PM

He's "on board" in that he knows I'm planning on homeschooling our son. Periodically he even pays attention to what C is trying to show him that we made or talks his ear off about whatever our theme is that week(which I love listening in on to see what he actually remembers) but it's all on my shoulders. He looks at it as since I have the teaching degree I should make the choices. He asks questions periodically, like how long we school each day or how far along he is, or did I know that he knew ______. He also makes comments periodically about all the books I buy but since C loves books as much as I do and he is bright and has a pretty impressive vocabulary he figures I'm doing something right! I like that he doesn't question me much but I wish he was more interactive/interested in what our son was learning for my son's sake because he loves to share what he's learning about but it is what it is.

Bobcatridge
by Member on May. 28, 2014 at 7:12 PM
My husband was so against homeschooling that I didn't do it. Now 5 yrs later he realizes that home schooling is our best option. He is participating in the process and is actively participating by discussions and interactions on educational topics. Finally!!
NYCitymomx3
by Bronze Member on May. 29, 2014 at 8:43 AM

Dh and I are on the same page.  He trusts that I know what I'm doing and whatever I decide he's fine with.  I love that after some initial hesitation (9+ years ago), he has become the biggest homeschool advocate I know.  

BellaRose17
by Member on May. 29, 2014 at 9:47 AM

The reason we started discussing alternative options was because we moved and the school here is just awful.

So, we were united in the decision to find a different school but while he wanted to try the private school I was leaning more toward homeschooling (for financial reasons).

Now that I've fully researched it he is a bit more on board with the idea of homeschool. He just wants to make sure that I am not taking on more than I can handle and he wants to make sure that the girls receive the best education possible.

Now my only issue is getting him on board with the amount of money I want to spend on their new curriculum....ehehehehe :)

coala
by Silver Member on May. 29, 2014 at 11:33 AM

He gets a lot of say.  We make the choices together.  We are working at this process as a family.  If the kids aren't getting something when I explain it, I have him try and explain it and it is done in a different way...which is sometimes needed.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN