Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I know its the end of the year now but.....

Posted by on May. 29, 2014 at 5:23 PM
  • 9 Replies

I pulled my 6th grader from PS a few weeks ago. Since then she has just been foing Math on T4L and reading a few good books. I am wanting to gather some good info on HS for next year. I was thinking of doing a few unit studies, she is interested in learning about the Holocaust and wants to read The Diary of Anne Frank and The Boy in the Striped Pajamas. Thinking of using those for history, vocabulary abd maybe even learning a bit of both the German and Hebrew languages and the cultures etc. I am kind of stuck for Math with her, she is very behind and is a 100% visual learner. T4L is good but I do not feel it will cover enough and may be a bit on the immature level for her. She is still stuck on many basics like multiplication and division, but gets many algebaic concepts. I would like to keep her in the 6th grade Math even though she is technically going into 7th grade. Also, looking for some good Science, mostly interested in Astronomy and Biology.

How do you plan your days?

How do you do it if you work full time?

Thank you for all of your help:)

by on May. 29, 2014 at 5:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
NYCitymomx3
by Bronze Member on May. 29, 2014 at 8:02 PM

We just finished 7th grade (although we go year-round).  We are very relaxed in how we plan our days.  Ds is 13, sleeps late, we do formal academics from 2pm to about 4pm.  Math, Literature, & Spanish are every day.  Everything else (grammar, history, science, geography, writing, spelling, vocabulary) we do once or twice a week.  

For math, check out Math U See, Life of Fred, and Teaching Textbooks.  Those are wonderful visual programs that are fun and great if she's behind.  You can google them and see samples - let her try them out and see which one SHE likes best.  If she's stuck on multiplication, the best thing we've ever used was something called Times Tales (the books, not the dvd).  My ds still talks about how great that was - 4 years later!

Unti studies are great and your books look fine.  Whatever you think looks interesting will always be good.  For science, there is so much to choose from for the middle school level.  Check out Real Science 4 Kids, Rainbow Science, Elemental Science, Mr Q's, and Apologia Science.  Or create your own year of science with nature study (which can certainly include astronomy and biology).  

I work part-time and my hours mesh well with our homeschooling schedule.  If you work full-time, you have to figure out what the best time is for formal academics, what bits can she do completely on her own, and are there any activities (sports, arts, homeschool group stuff, etc) that she want's to be a part of.  Unless there is another adult to help, working full-time can get difficult.  See if you can drop to part-time or only do schoolwork on your days off.  It can work if you get creative.  

Chasing3
by Bronze Member on May. 29, 2014 at 10:00 PM

I'm also a MathUSee fan. I have a 4th grader who is about a year behind in math (was further behind in PS!). I thought he was a visual learner too and started out thinking I'd use Math In Focus, since reviews said it's great for visual learners, but one chapter in and I tossed it aside for MathUSee. I love his videos, very small chunks of instruction, and the manipulatives and it's working very well for my ds!

I"m trying to figure out what to do for 5th grade science and thinking of using these books to make up my own unit of study: http://www.amazon.com/Astronomy-Grades-System-Expanding-Science/dp/1580375286/ref=pd_sim_b_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0BV1X87MN1S4351DRWTA then also take out library books on the science topics we do.

This past year I bought a used school science textbook. It covers basics, and it was only like $10. And he could get 100% on the questions at the end of the chapters, but it wasn't inspiring. Luckily, I had a couple of good hands-on projects for science and he took 2 nature classes.

I don't work. For most of this year my son needed like 100% support or he'd sit and twiddle his thumbs. Now he can do a lot independently. Our day is structured so that I pretty much plan to do something everyday. Some days a lot gets done, some days less. SOme days are field trips or projects. If I got stuck needed to take care of something and needed him to stay busy for a long time, I used books on cd from the library and educational shows on netflix or youtube. 

good luck! 

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on May. 29, 2014 at 11:21 PM

T4L is definitely, in my opinion, purely supplemental; I wouldn't consider it a full program by a long shot.

She's going to need something more substantial than two literature books as history - you may want to consider your faith preferences and your budget and look around at full programs.

Ellen McHenry has a great science program for this age.

You'll need a writing program and probably a grammar program.

A good math program for children who struggle with it is Teaching Textbooks. I also really enjoy CLE math (and it's more affordable), but do check the samples, as they tend to run ahead (so don't be surprised if she tests in grade 4 or 5).

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

2and2onway
by Member on May. 30, 2014 at 12:06 AM

Oh the two books was just the jumping point, we are also thinking Huck Finn, Where The Red Fern Grows and a few others, those were just examples. I think for writing and grammar I am just going to purchase work books and utilize some free worksheet programs. Math and Science are my main concern for her. I will check out Math U See and the other ones mentioned.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

T4L is definitely, in my opinion, purely supplemental; I wouldn't consider it a full program by a long shot.

She's going to need something more substantial than two literature books as history - you may want to consider your faith preferences and your budget and look around at full programs.

Ellen McHenry has a great science program for this age.

You'll need a writing program and probably a grammar program.

A good math program for children who struggle with it is Teaching Textbooks. I also really enjoy CLE math (and it's more affordable), but do check the samples, as they tend to run ahead (so don't be surprised if she tests in grade 4 or 5).

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on May. 30, 2014 at 1:58 AM

I also LOVE MUS but  because it is mastery she may miss out on some things having come from public school.  For example - 5th grade is ALL fractions (Epsilon book) they go VERY in depth into fractions that most public school kids would not see until 6th - 7th grade. Same withthe 6th grade book that is Percents and decimals. They will do them at a much higher level than a PS 6th grader.

If she wil lbe doing 7th grade, that would be the pre-algebra book. They will expect her to know these concepts that have been taught in earlier books and that may hold her back .

Teaching Textbooks might be a good option for her. It is a little behind the standard public school grade (about half a year) but it can be done with just the workbook or with a CD on the computer. My DS2 has a mild processing issue and TT as really boosted his confidence . It is also self-grading so they immediately know whatthey missed. I have a rule that you must pass with an 85% or higher so my DS does the work on the computer and if he misses too many, he rewords the ones he missed in the workbook.

mem82
by Platinum Member on May. 30, 2014 at 3:49 PM

I would really work on memorizing the multiplication tables. Use flashcards, games, whatever but that will really help her in every other Math she takes on.

Chasing3
by Bronze Member on May. 30, 2014 at 8:37 PM

I might add, if you notice memorization is just not working, and the number facts are just not staying in the brain, then I'd move on. Allow a multiplication chart or manipulatives. I'd avoid a calculator, as just looking up numbers on the chart repeatedly can help it sink into the memory for a kid who may have a math disability. But if you think she needs to revisit multiplication, get MathUSee Gamma. I love how he goes thru multiplication. I"m fairly sure my ds and I both have a touch of a math disability and his lessons and throughness were better than anything else I tried.

2and2onway
by Member on May. 30, 2014 at 8:52 PM

She is ADD and I feel she has some other LD also, she just flew under the radar to be tested though. She cannot take any meds due to intolerances she has for them. She "gets" some concepts for Math she just has no memorization. I am checking out MUS and TT hopefully can find a good match. Do you know of any free testing sites so I can kind of get a good idea on what grade she really falls into for Math, I am not beyond placing in a much lower Math level if it will help her in the long run. Oh and thank you for taking the time out of your busy end of year stuff to help me out.

2and2onway
by Member on Jun. 1, 2014 at 9:09 AM

Thank you for featuring me:)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN