Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

for those that school year round... is this crazy?

Posted by on May. 30, 2014 at 10:50 AM
  • 21 Replies

We are going to try the year round schooling (starting in 2 weeks) and I am wondering if any of you have tried schooling in the afternoons rather than the mornings? My kids are ready for 1st and 2nd (so school doesn't take that long) but I am thinking it would be cooler to play outside in the a.m. and then do school during the hotter part of the day.  If any of you school in the afternoons.... how are the attention spans etc.?

by on May. 30, 2014 at 10:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on May. 30, 2014 at 10:57 AM
My kids work better in the morning. Maybe let them play, eat lunch, rest then start? It really depends on your kids and is worth a shot
RADmomma
by Member on May. 30, 2014 at 11:01 AM
1 mom liked this

my DD is getting ready to start 1st grade. We are not moring people and work better in the afternoon.

We have lunch around noon then we have a bit of a quiet time/rest time and then around 1 pm we get started. She works at the kitchen table so even if she is still going when I am prepping dinner its fine.  She is a slow poke and is easily distracted... even in the morning so I just plan for her lessons to take longer than needed.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on May. 30, 2014 at 12:14 PM

For us mornings worked much better than afternoons.  When we tried to start in the afternoon when it became too hot to stay outside, they were unfocussed, it took a lot of time to get them onto task, and school took nearly twice as long as it does starting out right after breakfast.

MaryJarrett
by Member on May. 30, 2014 at 12:16 PM
We go back and forth depending on the day. Some days are even evenings after dinner.
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on May. 30, 2014 at 12:46 PM
We have done that in the summer. We are in the desert so it is best to be out early and in the a/c in tue afternoon.

It works but my kids do best if they knock out book work early so it was a bit of a struggle to get tuen reigned in and focused when we do it.
oahoah
by Member on May. 30, 2014 at 2:58 PM

We are morning people and I find that if we go out and do stuff in the mornings I am often too tired in the afternoons to follow through with school. We have math every day and Bible and through the summer we will do read-aloud time and they will have free reading time but taking a break from history, science, etc;

I do say give it a try though, you won't know how it works for your family until you try it.

mem82
by Platinum Member on May. 30, 2014 at 3:42 PM

We've done that before, yes. 8)

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on May. 30, 2014 at 5:04 PM
We do it during the hot summer weather. However, the rest of the year we don't because they work best in the am.
bcogoli
by Member on May. 30, 2014 at 8:41 PM

I think that if your kids can concentrate in the afternoon then go for it! It seems like a great idea. My kids need to do school in the morning but there are days I wish we could do it in the afternoon.

mamatink7
by on May. 30, 2014 at 9:06 PM

i would actually do mornings instead of afternoons...use pool days as reward for them completely work during mornings. 

i generally do that on days we work. i have t/thursday morning work and m/w do afternoon work. i  have field trips planned for either morning or afternoon; depends on activity (pool/ beach on morning school work and longer trips for afternoon work)

seem to drag worse while working in afternoon, but we just go over what thing we did in morning so it almost like finishing up what was started out of home..if that makes sense and helps any:)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)