Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

How much 'Unschooler' do you have in you?

Posted by on May. 30, 2014 at 3:56 PM
  • 24 Replies

Poll

Question: When it comes to Unschooling, I am....

Options:

HAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA*sniffle*Uh We're not into that sort of thing.

*squinty eyes* Maybe just a bit...during summer and the holidays.

*shrug* a dabbler. We are pretty relaxed and will follow a rabbit trail.

*nods* somewhat of an Unschooler. There are one or two things like Math that we do sit down and do.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA*snort*hahaha Oh YEAH I AM! All the way, Baby!

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 41

View Results

I always say I have a bit of unschooler in me, especially when the kids are younger. How about you?

by on May. 30, 2014 at 3:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on May. 30, 2014 at 3:59 PM
1 mom liked this

Not a lick. Definitely not our thing.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff:  we're Catholic, we're conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Tranquil_Octopi
by New Member on May. 30, 2014 at 4:03 PM

Sorry, not a homeschooler. I am still looking into it. I do teach them outside of school, they do work on the weekends, but we are an outdoors, experience your own thing, learn as you go, on your own, type of parents. 

hwblyf
by Silver Member on May. 30, 2014 at 4:06 PM
1 mom liked this

I find more and more that structure isn't so much my thing.  Or so I think.  And then I struggle without it.  So who knows what I am?  :)

mem82
by Platinum Member on May. 30, 2014 at 4:07 PM
1 mom liked this

No problem! If you have any questions about homeschooling, this is a good place to be. 8)

Quoting Tranquil_Octopi:

Sorry, not a homeschooler. I am still looking into it. I do teach them outside of school, they do work on the weekends, but we are an outdoors, experience your own thing, learn as you go, on your own, type of parents. 

kmath
by Silver Member on May. 30, 2014 at 4:08 PM
2 moms liked this

There are areas that I let him take the lead in, I do make him do math and english whether he wants to or not.

aurora.dove
by Member on May. 30, 2014 at 4:09 PM

I can't say, I don't really understand it to be honest. We're not homeschoolers yet though. Something we're looking into. 

mem82
by Platinum Member on May. 30, 2014 at 4:15 PM

Unschooling, just like traditional homeschooling, takes many forms. 8) I would suggest not making judgements on it until you've seen it in practice. LOL Because it sounds scary to most people when described.

How old are you kids? What is making you think about homeschooling?

Quoting aurora.dove:

I can't say, I don't really understand it to be honest. We're not homeschoolers yet though. Something we're looking into. 

NYCitymomx3
by Bronze Member on May. 30, 2014 at 4:19 PM
2 moms liked this

We fall somewhere between the last 2 options.  I'd say we are at about 75-80% unschooling.  Ds(13) follows his interests pretty much all day, with me encouraging, facilitating, and providing him with as many resources, experiences, and opportunities as I can.  We do 2 hours of formal academics daily (he made his own schedule and helped choose curriculum), he has several hours of MMA classes a week, and we go on lots of field trips.  

Oh, and he's a grade level or 2 above his peers, overcame moderate dyslexia & dysgraphia with a lot of hard work, and is looking forward to college and a future STEM career.  :)

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on May. 30, 2014 at 4:54 PM
1 mom liked this

I would say that we are mostly unschooler anymore.  It works very well for our family.

aurora.dove
by Member on May. 30, 2014 at 4:56 PM

My DSD is 8, and DS is 3. We've thought about homeschooling before because DSD is well ahead of her class in many areas, but we didn't want to skip grades. Our reason for considering it now is that DSD's mother was killed in April. I posted a more detailed post a few days ago with more information, but long story short it was a murder, DSD and her little sister (different father) were both in the home at the time, it was very traumatic for both of them. We are in a different county than her mother lived in and so she will  be in a different school district. We kept her in her old school to finish out the year because with all of the changes going on right now we didn't want to disrupt school on top of everything else, and that turned out to be hard on her. It's a tiny town, and everyone has heard their own version of what happened. The school counselors talked to her class before she came back about how to act around her, but that only goes so far with kids, and she's had problems with kids stealing her journals, reading her private thoughts, writing on them, etc. It's making her dread going to school when she use to love it. 

The new school she would be going to is not in a good area, our house is in an awkward area, we live in a nice area but it's just right over a county line which would put her in a different school district than most of the kids around where we live, and the school itself is in a high crime area, and from other people we know who's kids have gone there it's very low budget, and not a lot of good comes from that area. 

We also travel a lot for our jobs. We could work around that with her now living with us full time, our boss is pretty lenient, but it would require us to put her in an after school program, and to put our DS in daycare or preschool where he's previously been home with us during the day and evening because we both work from home except when we travel in every other month for our in office time. I am not required to have in office time, but DH is, and with him having to be gone we would have to find care for the kids during my work times if she was in traditional school and unable to travel with us. If she could travel with us, we could switch off shifts there just like we do when we're at home and it wouldn't be an issue. 

I think right now with her healing from losing her mom, especially in such a traumatic way, as well as now having to deal with not being able to spend time with her little sister who previously she got to see every day unless she was with us and even then a lot of times we kept her little sister too (we had a very nontraditional blended family, her mom was my best friend it was very close knit. Her little sister is just as much a daughter to us as she is.) Her sister's father is being difficult and has begun limiting visitation, and not returning phone calls, etc. I want her to be able to take time to heal without all of the pressure that public schools put on kids with all of their standardized testing, big class sizes, etc. 

I do hesitate though because she's very shy, she already has a lot of trouble approaching other children to play, strike up conversations, etc. I'm worried that taking her out of traditional school where she's around other kids daily and has to interact as part of class. We've talked to her about home school and told her that if we do it, she would have to join other programs to get interaction with other kids her age, groups, and such and everything we've mentioned as far as that goes she doesn't seem interested in. We've talked about drama and dance because she mentioned wanting to do dance classes, but she's afraid of being on stage in front of people. She's already in Taekwondo and she's shy when doing things in there as well, but she doesn't have to interact with the other students other than sparring, and it isn't social interaction it's all work no play in there. She does love it though. We've looked into other sports before, but they have always interfered with Taekwondo and she didn't want to quit so we haven't pursued them any further. I'm not sure what else to offer her that would get her the social interaction she would need but not terrify her to try. 

Quoting mem82:

Unschooling, just like traditional homeschooling, takes many forms. 8) I would suggest not making judgements on it until you've seen it in practice. LOL Because it sounds scary to most people when described.

How old are you kids? What is making you think about homeschooling?

Quoting aurora.dove:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)