Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I am leaning toward purchasing the first grade curriculum package from Bookshark which is essentially Sonlight minus the spiritual/religious aspect but I'm curious:

What do you think of Sonlight? Do you enjoy it? What do you like most about it? Is the reading overwhelming and hard to accomplish? I've heard that the read alouds are too much for some parents to accomplish successfully everyday...Would it work for a hands-on learner?

What are your thoughts? Tell me everything :)

by on May. 30, 2014 at 10:05 PM
Replies (11-17):
energygirl
by Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 9:47 AM

another thought... Sonlight has the religious aspect woven in most subjects..... so if you are trying to avoid that, it might be best to not buy any of their products....

BellaRose17
by Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 9:58 AM
1 mom liked this

Oh, I realize Sonlight is a christian curriculum.

I'm looking into purchasing Bookshark which is from the same company but is a secular curriculum. It is essentially Sonlight without the spiritual/religious aspect.

That's why I asked about Sonlight experiences because everything (aside from the religious piece) is the same as Bookshark. Bookshark is brand new and just barely opened their store a few days ago so there haven't been any reviews posted on it yet. :)

Quoting energygirl:

another thought... Sonlight has the religious aspect woven in most subjects..... so if you are trying to avoid that, it might be best to not buy any of their products....

energygirl
by Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 10:04 AM

makes sense :)  Will you be using the curriculum with kids later on (so need to save the stuff ?) If not, It might be good to look at their book list and then get some books through library loan etc....  the only reason I say that...is it might be hard to resell the stuff later if it is a new company that not many have heard of yet... .just  a thought :)  (but new doesn't mean bad...it could excellent stuff too!)

Quoting BellaRose17:

Oh, I realize Sonlight is a christian curriculum.

I'm looking into purchasing Bookshark which is from the same company but is a secular curriculum. It is essentially Sonlight without the spiritual/religious aspect.

That's why I asked about Sonlight experiences because everything (aside from the religious piece) is the same as Bookshark. Bookshark is brand new and just barely opened their store a few days ago so there haven't been any reviews posted on it yet. :)

Quoting energygirl:

mamatink7
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 10:54 AM

there is no other program i would do with the kids thats for sure. what is their website? the one i used before wasnt right anymore. thx

Quoting melindabelcher: We just purchased sonlight a couple months ago and use Cora A for my K and 2nd. We love it!!
Quoting mamatink7:

i really enjoyed doing sonlight! loved the flexibility of the programming. when i wanted to start back up last year with our other group of kids i could not find this anymore. where can you get the materials? i strongly recommend this as your main curriculm

melindabelcher
by Mel on Jun. 2, 2014 at 11:44 AM

SONLIGHT

Quoting mamatink7:

there is no other program i would do with the kids thats for sure. what is their website? the one i used before wasnt right anymore. thx

Quoting melindabelcher: We just purchased sonlight a couple months ago and use Cora A for my K and 2nd. We love it!!
Quoting mamatink7:

i really enjoyed doing sonlight! loved the flexibility of the programming. when i wanted to start back up last year with our other group of kids i could not find this anymore. where can you get the materials? i strongly recommend this as your main curriculm

mamatink7
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 11:49 AM

thx 

Quoting melindabelcher:

SONLIGHT

Quoting mamatink7:

Quoting mamatink7:

energygirl
by Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 2:20 PM

ww.sonlight.com   but you can also find a lot of their stuff on ebay (instructor guides) for less expensive

Quoting mamatink7:

thx 

Quoting melindabelcher:

SONLIGHT

Quoting mamatink7:

Quoting mamatink7:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)