Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

I don't know what to do.

Posted by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 12:20 PM
  • 14 Replies
My son is 7 and in 1st grade he went to public school in kindergarten and this is our first year homeschooling. I was home schooled a few years elementary middle and high school so I was comfortable with homeschooling. We also were going to be moving to another state an I didn't want to have to take him out of public school and him have to start a new school, so anyways. This year it was kinda crazy being the first year homeschooling and me trying to figure out what I was doing, moving, ect. Now we are trying to decide whether to let him go to public school or home school again. I don't have a car so it's been kinda hard not being able to go places in the daytime an take him to be involved with other kids like sports ect. When my boyfriend comes home after work sometimes we go to the park an on the weekends we go to the lybrary. I also don't have the Internet yet long story Internet company is taking forever to wire our house, so I order schoolbooks from a home school store where I live. I want to homeschool him again and feel like i learned alot from mistakes this year, but i feel sometimes like im not doing enough or teaching him everything he needs to know for his age. Then other times i feel like hes smart and knows enough. I enjoy having him home and worry if he goes to public school about bullying and what he will learn. He got beat up in kindergarden by a 1st grader on the playground. Then other times I feel like I could use a break because I also have a 9 month old and sometimes feel a little overwhelmed with both kids 24/7. Anyways What are your thoughts or suggestions on how to make a decision?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 12:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
oahoah
by Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 12:46 PM

We're going into our 4th year and I have gone back & forth on this issue myself. In the past year what helped me is asking myself what is best for my kids, it always comes back to knowing that they aren't picking up bad habits, we're maintaining good family relationships and they are enjoying learning whereas I don't think they would if they were in school all day.  Sometimes it helps to actually have a pros/cons list. Since you don't have a car during the day maybe you can take short walks together. Try to find a support group in your area, that was probably my biggest help when starting out. Good luck.

energygirl
by Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 2:18 PM

Sounds like you have the same worries most of us do from time to time. We don't have a second vehicle either so are "at home" most of the time. Perhaps you will find another homeschool family in the area that can come to your place occasionally for playdates.  Your post sounds like you are leaning towards homeschooling but a little worried about doing/teaching enough.  There are some books out there that your library would be able to get ("What your Second Grader needs to know") that might paint a clear picture on what some folks are teaching.  I think at that age if you are doing a set curriculum for math and language arts, then you are probably hitting all the basics there.  Juggling a 9 month old too would be challenging but definitley doable. If you can get the internet in.... free sites like www.abcya.com can help reinforce math etc. if there are moments you need to attend the younger one....  I am around all 3 of my kids 24/7.... but I do make a weekly grocery trip after they are in bed and that becomes some valuable time.  I also try to get up earlier than the kids so I can have some "mom time".  Goodluck with your decision. Does your boyfriend or your son lean more towards or against homeschooling?

us.mex.fam.of4
by Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 7:36 PM
Thank you for your advice, a pros cons list I can do and definitely going for a walk I need to make a priority for all our sake:) makes me feel so much better that I'm not the only one with these feelings. Thanks!

Quoting oahoah:

We're going into our 4th year and I have gone back & forth on this issue myself. In the past year what helped me is asking myself what is best for my kids, it always comes back to knowing that they aren't picking up bad habits, we're maintaining good family relationships and they are enjoying learning whereas I don't think they would if they were in school all day.  Sometimes it helps to actually have a pros/cons list. Since you don't have a car during the day maybe you can take short walks together. Try to find a support group in your area, that was probably my biggest help when starting out. Good luck.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
us.mex.fam.of4
by Member on Jun. 2, 2014 at 7:47 PM
My boyfriend leans towards public school cause he thinks my son needs to be around kids to make friends and be a little more independent from me. There are no children that live around us. I would like to join a home school group, but i have to make myself be able to be social with other parents, I am very shy and it is hard for me to make friends and I don't want my son to be like that, although when he is with other kids he is fine talkative an makes friends a little easier than me :) my son kinda wants to go to public and kinda doesn't I think he would be fine either way. That's a great idea to get up before the kids to get some me time. Thanks for your advice!

Quoting energygirl:

Sounds like you have the same worries most of us do from time to time. We don't have a second vehicle either so are "at home" most of the time. Perhaps you will find another homeschool family in the area that can come to your place occasionally for playdates.  Your post sounds like you are leaning towards homeschooling but a little worried about doing/teaching enough.  There are some books out there that your library would be able to get ("What your Second Grader needs to know") that might paint a clear picture on what some folks are teaching.  I think at that age if you are doing a set curriculum for math and language arts, then you are probably hitting all the basics there.  Juggling a 9 month old too would be challenging but definitley doable. If you can get the internet in.... free sites like www.abcya.com can help reinforce math etc. if there are moments you need to attend the younger one....  I am around all 3 of my kids 24/7.... but I do make a weekly grocery trip after they are in bed and that becomes some valuable time.  I also try to get up earlier than the kids so I can have some "mom time".  Goodluck with your decision. Does your boyfriend or your son lean more towards or against homeschooling?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
energygirl
by Member on Jun. 3, 2014 at 10:45 AM
1 mom liked this

another thought, you could always try public school knowing that you could pull him out at any time (even a day or two!)  For homeschool co-ops, the ones I have visited are great... good experience for the kids (and the mom's seem to be friendly....and some are talkative some are shy as well).  I have seen some mom's sit and talk, some help teach, and some sit on their ipads the whole time..... so I wouldn't worry too much about being shy there etc.  You can always use the time there to interract with your 9 month old (who might find some friends as well).  Your kids will get "social time" in a coop or public school..... it is a hard decision to make...best of luck!

Quoting us.mex.fam.of4: My boyfriend leans towards public school cause he thinks my son needs to be around kids to make friends and be a little more independent from me. There are no children that live around us. I would like to join a home school group, but i have to make myself be able to be social with other parents, I am very shy and it is hard for me to make friends and I don't want my son to be like that, although when he is with other kids he is fine talkative an makes friends a little easier than me :) my son kinda wants to go to public and kinda doesn't I think he would be fine either way. That's a great idea to get up before the kids to get some me time. Thanks for your advice!
Quoting energygirl:

ChristineTate
by Member on Jun. 3, 2014 at 3:10 PM

Everyone feels overwhelmed at some point.  That's natural.  Don't be too hard on yourself. 

us.mex.fam.of4
by Member on Jun. 3, 2014 at 3:32 PM
Thank you!

Quoting ChristineTate:

Everyone feels overwhelmed at some point.  That's natural.  Don't be too hard on yourself. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ChristineTate
by Member on Jun. 3, 2014 at 3:40 PM
1 mom liked this

Try this next time you start to question what you are doing:  schedule a playdate for your son with a child who is in public school.  Then talk to the child while they are at your home about how school is going.  Observe the differences between a homeschooled child and a public schooled child both in terms of behavior and knowledge.  It's an instant pick-me-up that works every time for me!

Quoting us.mex.fam.of4: Thank you!
Quoting ChristineTate:

Bluerose1482
by Member on Jun. 3, 2014 at 7:49 PM
1 mom liked this

If you aren't sure if he has learned enough, call the school and request a placement test.  They'll be able to tell you is he's on grade level or not.    

Bleacher-mom
by Member on Jun. 6, 2014 at 2:52 AM
Know that you dont have to keep up with what the schools are doing. I wish I would have fully understood that when we first started. At that age, yes there are things that would be great to teach him but its mostly about getting him to develop a love for learning.
I can say that over my years there have been many times I have thought the same as you and debated back and forth. But ultimately I knew I wanted them home and they wanted to be home.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)