Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What do you think about using tablets?

Posted by   + Show Post

Do  your kids use tablets? What activities do they use them the most for?

We are looking into getting one for my son.

by on Jun. 2, 2014 at 1:50 PM
Replies (11-20):
Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Jun. 3, 2014 at 10:52 AM
My kids are finishing up 6th and 7th grade and there doesn't seem to be any good apps for Jr high. I'd love to be able to use my tablet for school,just haven't figured out a way to do it besides googling additional information.
Knightquester
by on Jun. 3, 2014 at 11:29 AM

My kids have games on theirs, some academic and some not.  They will sometimes do web searches on things they are studying or are curious to learn more about.  Also they have Netflix and their e-book collection on them too.  

One child of mine, instead of using her laptop, has preferred to use her tablet to respond to her Japanese teacher's e-mails, and to sometimes log into Aleks, the online math program she's using.

For the most part they are either used for play or as a learning tool they use on occasion.

Bobcatridge
by Member on Jun. 3, 2014 at 12:38 PM

My husband is a computer nerd.  He works for a biotech company as the computer network manager and writes custom computer software (Microsoft Windows based) on the side.  As a result we have an abundance of Microsoft Windows surface tablets.  We have two regular surface tablets and two surface pro tablets.  The regular surface tablets have a USB port for flash drives which is a nice feature.  The surface pro tablets are regular computers so can run any Windows program on them.  We also have an iPad which is not used anymore because we like the surface tablets better.  Our 13 yr old daughter uses the tablets for online math and word processing.  She is into drawing and also uses some art drawing programs.  The surface pro has a pressure sensitive pen that is especially nice for drawing. The tablets are nice because they are portable and can eaily be taken when traveling.  Our daughter even did online math last summer while on a houseboat. We do limit screen time when necessary but fortunately we don't have to as our daughter perfers drawing by hand and reading actual books. 

ChristineTate
by Member on Jun. 3, 2014 at 3:06 PM

Part of the purpose of education is to train our children for what they will need to know in the future.  Given that each passing day, technology becomes more and more ingrained in our society, I think it's important to let children experience whatever technology we can in all it's (safe) forms.

LostTheSlipper
by Bronze Member on Jun. 3, 2014 at 11:08 PM

I try to limit electronics, even where education is concerned.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jun. 4, 2014 at 10:53 PM
This. I do borrow ebooks occasionally for my daughter and allow her to read them on my ipad mini, and if I am on an important phone call I will let them play an educational app like brain pop, but I rarely make phone calls. Lol

Quoting LostTheSlipper:

I try to limit electronics, even where education is concerned.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jen2150
by Silver Member on Jun. 5, 2014 at 7:59 AM
Reading,movies and games. I consider it all educational. I am fixing to use more ebooks for school this year. we found some great deals on them.
3girls221111
by on Jun. 6, 2014 at 9:12 AM

My 14 year old has her own ipad. My 8 year old twins each have their own Samsung Galxay tablet. 

Best thing we have ever bought them.

There are tons and tons of free games and apps.

mamamedic69
by Deanna on Jun. 6, 2014 at 9:17 AM
My did uses mine for her reading (HOP), a math program, and a fun drawing app. She doesn't have her own yet. She actually prefers books.
Reina13
by Reina on Jun. 6, 2014 at 9:55 AM

I was wondering about the ebooks too. Especially primers or early readers. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN